Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Reed tortured by missed kicks

Reed tortured by missed kicks
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_644713.html
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Jeff Reed didn't think much of it at first.

But after it happened a couple of times and a couple more times after that, he sensed something was a little different.

The Steelers' kicker usually doesn't have much dialogue with coaching assistants other than perhaps special team coaches Bob Ligashesky and Amos Jones.

However, after Reed missed two field goals within an eight-minute span of the fourth quarter Sunday in Chicago that ultimately led to a 17-14 loss, he noticed an inordinate amount of coaches offered encouraging words.

"I have had more coaches speak to me now than have ever spoken to me before," Reed said Wednesday. "It was like, 'It's not your fault' and 'Keep your head up' and 'Don't be too hard on yourself' and stuff like that."

Reed listened politely and was gracious, but he wasn't in the mood for somebody else making excuses for him.

"To be honest with you, most coaches don't know how to kick a football," said Reed, who has nine game-winning kicks in his career. "I don't need to hear it ... that's not going to help things because I am so hard on myself. I feel every time I get on the field, it is an opportunity for me to help this team win."

Game winners
A look at the nine game-winning field goals that Steelers kicker Jeff Reed has made in his eight-year career:
Date Distance Score Time remaining
9-10-2009 33 yards Steelers 13, Titans 10 10:28 in OT
11-16-2008 32 yards Steelers 11, Chargers 10 0:11
9-29-2008 46 yards Steelers 23, Ravens 20 8:55 in OT
11-26-2007 24 yards Steelers 3, Dolphins 0 0:17
10-31-2005 37 yards Steelers 20, Ravens 19 1:36
10-10-2005 40 yards Steelers 24, Chargers 22 0:06
1-15-2005* 33 yards Steelers 20, Jets 17 3:56 in OT
12-5-2004 37 yards Steelers 17, Jaguars 16 0:18
9-12-2004 42 yards Steelers 24, Raiders 21 0:07
* -- denotes playoff game

Against the Bears, Reed missed two field goals in a game for the first time in five years. That was Sept. 26, 2004, when Miami was dealing with rainy weather and the after effects of Hurricane Jeanne.

Even though Reed kicked a 51-yard field goal against the Dolphins that eventually won the game, then-coach Bill Cowher called out his kicker a few days later, saying that Reed had to play better.

Coach Mike Tomlin took another approach with Reed after the two misses against the Bears.

"He actually told me that he is glad that I am his guy," Reed said. "He said a few more things through texts after the game (and) on the plane like he knows what kind of person I am and that he knows I will respond to this."

History says Reed will respond favorably. Teammates also have his back.

"We have confidence in Jeff," wide receiver Hines Ward said.

When Reed missed those two kicks in Miami, he responded by making 25 of his final 28 of the year, including a game-winner against Jacksonville.

Reed also missed twice the previous year in back-to-back games against the Raiders and Jets. He finished the season hitting his last three kicks.

Reed's career
How Steelers kicker Jeff Reed has fared in his field-goal attempts since joining the team in 2002:
Distance 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+
2009 0-0 0-0 2-3 0-1 0-0
Career 3-3 55-60 60-67 40-59 6-11
Source: Steelers media guide

"He is going to be fine," said Daniel Sepulveda, Reed's holder. "He is right back as the Jeff we all know. We were all shocked because, as long as I have been here, he has (almost) never missed."

Reed was 23 of 25 in Sepulveda's rookie year two years ago. Sepulveda missed last season with a knee injury.

"We expect Jeff to make that," Ward said. "He had a bad day at the office. What person on this Earth never had a bad day at the office?"

Reed doesn't think one bad day will ultimately affect his financial status. Reed is in the final year of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

"Flip side of that is if I get a huge contract in the offseason and in the same situation and you feel you don't deserve it," Reed said. "That's stupid. I can't control it. All I can control is my next kick in Cincinnati."

Reed wants to be paid as one of the top kickers in the league. He currently makes $1.43 million but is looking for double that. Chicago's Robbie Gould recently signed a 5-year, $15.5 million deal.

Ironically, Gould made the game-winning kick Sunday, Reed didn't and won't soon forget about it.

"You don't forget about them ever," Reed said. "I can have 10 great games in a row and still not forget those two kicks."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013
Default Re: Reed tortured by missed kicks

Didnt he miss 2 FGs vs Washington in preseason?

I have said this before here I have no confidance in Reed kicking FGs over 45 yards
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Yeehaw

I feel bad for skippy. I hope we are able to sign him to a long term deal after the season.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I feel bad for skippy. I hope we are able to sign him to a long term deal after the season.
I hope we can to but I don't want to break the bank for him either.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Skippy needs to forget about those missed FG's and focus on Sunday's game. This is a divisional opponent and isn't going to be a cakewalk by any means. I have complete faith in him and apparently, so does Tomlin and the team, so it's all good.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Reed is a professional, and a very capable kicker. I think he will be just fine this weekend. He knows that this sort of thing just happens some times.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Poor Skippy.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

I have complete confidence in Reed. He has won quite a few games for us. and everyone has a bad game.

He needs to keep the confidence in himself though.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bradshaw View Post
Didnt he miss 2 FGs vs Washington in preseason?

I have said this before here I have no confidance in Reed kicking FGs over 45 yards
Last tiem you said 40 so you are gaining confidence in him way to go naysayer!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Jeff Reed has won far more games for us than he has lost for us. He's been a tremendously dependable kicker for a very long time. Our best since Gary Anderson.

It's not like the game against the Bears was a huge loss.....it was the 2ND GAME OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!! There was plenty of blame to go around for this game, but since we all know the Steelers weren't going to go undefeated...it's time for anyone who can't deal with a Steeler loss to begin to deal with it. Every single Super Bowl year we have had...guess what....we lost a game in each of those years....several as a matter of fact.

Jeff needs to let this go because the mental part is so much of the kicking game.

I have faith in Jeff Reed
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote