Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Buckeyes Roll Out New Offense Centered On Pryor...

I've been waiting for confirmation. I know there are many, many naysayers, and that's fine, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the facts are that Pryor was A) A true frosh who didn't even have the benefit of Spring ball B) Playing in Boeckmann's system and C) Never intended to start.

Considering those things, he did remarkable well. He was reigned in by Tress, and for good reason.

That's over. Bollman is rolling out a new offense based around the unique set of talents Terelle Pryor brings to the table. It will be HIS offense. I expect, given the constant stream of talent running through Columbus, that these Buckeyes will be in contention right out of the gate this year, and, if they beat USC in the Shoe in week 2, will have a NCG in their grasp and control their own destiny.

Go Bucks!

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...Q.html?sid=101

Football: OSU set to meld a new offense
Overhaul will test Pryor's, players' ability to adjust
Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:08 AM
By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
[
Spring is in the air. So is change, it seems, for the Ohio State offense.
Terrelle Pryor said he can sense it. From his interaction with coach Jim Tressel and offensive coordinator Jim Bollman as well as the teammates who must fill seven vacant starting spots on the offense, the sophomore quarterback said the Buckeyes are eager for the start of spring drills Thursday.
"I can tell you the coaches are fired up," Pryor said. "Coach Tressel is really fired up; I meet with him every day in his office and I can tell. Coach Bollman is more fired up than I can ever remember seeing him.
"I think this spring is going to be very fun. Everyone seems to be looking forward to it."
Pryor knows change is in the works, and has been for a couple of months. A year ago, OSU's offense was designed to take advantage of the talents of returning senior quarterback Todd Boeckman and tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells, with some components for Pryor, considered a passing and rushing threat. Now, it will largely feature Pryor's talents.
The offense will undergo changes that couldn't be made at midseason last year, when Tressel made Pryor the starter. But the Buckeyes apparently are looking at several options to upgrade this year's model.
That might include more use of the pistol formation, in which the quarterback lines up about 4 yards behind center with a tailback behind him. It also could include a version of the single-wing formation, in which the quarterback would line up about 7 yards behind center, but often would have a back crossing in front of him from a slot just before or just after the snap, creating options and confusion.
"From a team standpoint this spring we would like to get the communication down, because we're going to run the offense a little different," Pryor said. "We're going to run a lot of different plays with a whole bunch of different things we're putting in, like calling plays from the line of scrimmage.
"We want to leave camp as a passing team and a running team so we can just be unstoppable."
The offense is going to have a different feel no matter what, considering Pryor is the only returning starter who touched the ball last season. Gone are Wells, fullback Brandon Smith, receivers Brian Robiskie and Brian Hartline and tight end Rory Nicol.
Among those ready to step up are running backs Dan Herron and Brandon Saine; receivers DeVier Posey, Dane Sanzenbacher and Lamaar Thomas; and tight end Jake Ballard, who played as much as Nicol last year.
"I think the quarterback position is the one you give the most attention to, in regards to who you're going to become," Tressel said. "But you don't lose sight of the fact we're going to look different at running back and receiver. We're going to look different up front (with two new starters on the line).
"So it won't be all tailored to what Terrelle does well and to what (backup) Joe Bauserman does well. It will be some of what Boom Herron does well, what those wideouts do well, what Jake Ballard adds to the picture at tight end, and what Jake Stoneburner offers us now that we've moved him over to tight end."
Stoneburner, with a receiver's pedigree, could offer a stretch-the-field threat from tight end that hasn't been available for a number of seasons. So the options -- both from a personnel and a philosophical standpoint -- are there to overhaul an offense that ranked a lackluster 76{+t}{+h} nationally last year with a 342.69-yard average.
Tom Luginbill, who monitors college football and recruiting for Scouts Inc. of ESPN.com, said the OSU coaches did a "fantastic job" last year of not overloading their freshman quarterback, even as fans screamed for more.
Now, though, the offense will lean on Pryor now that he has experience.
"He is going to be expected to take that next step, taking on more of the responsibility of the scheme, allowing the coaches to implement more things (tailored to him) without him being overloaded," Luginbill said.
Pryor said he welcomes it, and that the key for the whole offense this spring is to waste no time.
"We want to get better every day, because these 15 practices, that's all we have until fall camp," Pryor said. "We want to use every single minute we've got."
Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Buckeyes Roll Out New Offense Centerd On Pryor...

Damn I'm excited about this. I'm glad that they are willing to tailor the offense...as opposed to trying to completely re-work the players. That's a sure sign of a good coaching staff.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,260 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Yes I knew it was coming this years starting QB, RBs, WRs, and TE they are more suited for a spread type offense. I know Tressel can draw up and call plays so this offense can score with the best offenses in the country.

2010 Pryor should be the best QB in the country.

Can't wait for 2009 college football
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The criticism on Tress is that he's too conservative. I get that...sometimes he is. But it's his philosophy. He's a lot like Cowher in that his overall strategy is to play conservatively, but he can definitely open things up tactically. It's truly the sign of a great coach that he can adapt to the talent he recruits rather than forcing the talent he recruits into some set system of his. The recent NCG losses have tarnished him a bit, but he's gonna shine that program back up in the next couple years with another championship. Watch and see...

When he was hired out of YSU I told my friends he'd bring back a championship in 3 years. He did it in 2.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The criticism on Tress is that he's too conservative. I get that...sometimes he is. But it's his philosophy. He's a lot like Cowher in that his overall strategy is to play conservatively, but he can definitely open things up tactically. It's truly the sign of a great coach that he can adapt to the talent he recruits rather than forcing the talent he recruits into some set system of his. The recent NCG losses have tarnished him a bit, but he's gonna shine that program back up in the next couple years with another championship. Watch and see...

When he was hired out of YSU I told my friends he'd bring back a championship in 3 years. They thought I was insane. Many of us always knew he was the best coach in Ohio, and we'd watch him take his undersized D1-AA Penguin teams with pretty limited talent and beat up on pretty decent MAC teams year in and year out.

He did it in 2.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Only problem with Pryor is that his passes suck for the most part, he has no WRs and no RB. Other than that he should be great! Prepare for your beatdown in the Shoe!!
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Pryor had so much hype coming into college that unless he wins a NC and the heisman, he will not have met expectations. Thats a lot to put on a teenager. Odds are he doesn't live up to it.

Not that I feel sorry for my homeboy from da Burgh. He's dead to me for going to OSU.......lol
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Ignorant hate on the Buckeyes. Happens every year, and the Buckeye nation salutes those who participate in it!

Here are some names to get used to hearing...they'll be all over the ESPN highlight reels next season:

RB
Brandon Saine
Boom Herron
Jamall Berry
Carlos Hyde

WR
Dane Sanzenbacher
Garrett Hummel
Posey DeVier
Ray Small
Jake Stoneburner
Lamar Thomas
Taurian Washington

OSU doesn't rebuild. They reload.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

So anyone who doesn't like the Buckeyes is ignorant?

I wonder how long it would take you to switch bandwagons if OSU went on a run like the Brownies??

Browns fans who get sick of losing don't jump ship.....they just convince themselves they were Steeler fans all along.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Ignorant hate on the Buckeyes. Happens every year, and the Buckeye nation salutes those who participate in it!

Here are some names to get used to hearing...they'll be all over the ESPN highlight reels next season:

RB
Brandon Saine
Boom Herron
Jamall Berry
Carlos Hyde

WR
Dane Sanzenbacher
Garrett Hummel
Posey DeVier
Ray Small
Jake Stoneburner
Lamar Thomas
Taurian Washington

OSU doesn't rebuild. They reload.
well usually when they show an highlight of the game, they are going to show a player scoring a td.. and i'm guessing it's got 2 be 1 of them....

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote