Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: Bengals looking balanced

On the Steelers: Bengals looking balanced
Friday, September 25, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09268/1000654-66.stm

Steelers linebacker James Farrior on Cincinnati: "They look like they know what they're doing."

The Steelers-Cincinnati Bengals game Sunday features a team with a balanced offense, bolstered by a strong running game, and an attacking, blitzing defense that bounces quarterbacks off the turf.

What is unusual is the description applies to the Bengals, who look more like traditional Steelers teams than do the current Steelers.

Cincinnati averages 118.5 yards rushing per game compared with the Steelers' 70.5. The Bengals, with nine sacks, rank No. 1 in the NFL in sacks per pass play compared with the Steelers, who have just three sacks.

"Well, they don't look like the Bengals of old, they don't look like the teams that come out struggling sometimes," linebacker James Farrior said. "They look like they know what they're doing. They're playing hard, they're playing a lot better than they were last year, so it's going to be a different challenge for us."

The Bengals thought they ended their long list of failures against the Steelers when they beat them at Heinz Field in 2005, wiped their shoes with Terrible Towels and went on to win the AFC North Division title.

The teams went in opposite directions after that game. The Steelers won the Super Bowl that season after winning a playoff game in Cincinnati, then added another Lombardi Trophy last season. The Bengals have not had a winning season since and, appropriately, appeared this year on the HBO show "Hard Knocks."

The Bengals, though, have a different look after two games and a 1-1 record.

"B.A. made a good point today," Steelers tackle Willie Colon said, referring to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "This is the first year they've had all their starters back and ready to go. They never were a bad team. They just were always lacking a key guy here and there. Now that they're fully loaded, they kind of feel it's their time."

With quarterback Carson Palmer back to where he was physically before Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit to his knee in that 2005 playoff game and Cedric Benson rushing for 217 yards in two games and a 4.3-yard average, the Bengals' offense has been way ahead of the Steelers'. And the Bengals' ability to dump the quarterback has brought them the Blitzburgh ripoff name of "Blitzinnati."

Brett Keisel and fellow end Aaron Smith lead the Steelers' defense with a combined 13 quarterback hurries/pressures out of 36. But three sacks are not nearly enough.

"We have to do a better job of getting to the quarterback and getting him on the ground," Keisel said. "I don't think we did that great of a job last week."
Run percent unprecedented

Mike Tomlin said he desires a balanced offense and notes that two games into the season does not a trend make.

Nevertheless, the Steelers have played two close, low-scoring game, each decided by three points. And they are as far from a balanced offense as they have ever been.

The Steelers have run the ball 34.9 percent of the time. The lowest they ran over the course of a full season in this decade came in 2003 when they did so 44 percent of the time. That was the Tommy Gun offense in which coordinator Mike Mularkey and coach Bill Cowher decided that Amos Zereoue fit better as their starting halfback than Jerome Bettis. That strategy resulted in a 6-10 record.

Last season, the Steelers got off to a fast start and ran 45.3 percent. In 2007, they ran 51.1 percent. Their high-water mark came in 2004 when they ran 61.1 percent and went 15-1 with their rookie quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

"This is an awful slow one because I think of the switch in the styles of defense we'll play," Arians said. "These 4-3 penetrating teams, they're a big change and it takes time."

The Bengals are the third opponent to play a 4-3 (San Diego brings a 3-4 Oct. 4) and Arians believes the Bengals do not take a back seat to the Titans or Bears front.

"They might be the best we played so far," he said. "That linebacker play has improved tremendously."
No fine for Harrison

Unlike safety Tyrone Carter, who was fined $5,000 for his tackle of tight end Greg Olsen in Chicago, linebacker James Harrison was not fined for his hit on quarterback Jay Cutler even though he was flagged for the play and told the hit was low and late.

"He said that I lunged into his knees," said Harrison, who asked the official why he was penalized. "I'm telling you what he told me. That's why he threw the flag. I said I got dragged down."

Harrison, the NFL defensive player of the year in 2008 who has no sacks in two games, said he was held eight times in Chicago without drawing a penalty.

"I've had officials tell me if you were closer I would have called it," he said. "Well, if [the blocker] wasn't holding, I would have been closer. If he wouldn't have held me, I probably would have sacked [Cutler]."
Polamalu eyeing Detroit

The Steelers are shooting for Troy Polamalu's return Oct. 11 against. If he can play by then, he will have missed three full games because of an injured left knee.

He also is not undergoing the therapy that Hines Ward took on his knee before the Super Bowl. Ward, who also had a medial collateral ligament injury, was treated using a hyperbaric oxygen chamber that is supposed to stimulate the production of red blood cells and promote faster healing. Polamalu does not believe it works, believing it can cause harmful side effects.
Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09268...#ixzz0S7QMIoFN
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: On the Steelers: Bengals looking balanced

Let's play some football! Time to put the bungals back where they belong and not allow them to poke their heads out to get a look at glory (or a hope of it anyway)!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

Matt Forte > Cedric Benson. If we can shut him down, then I'm not too worried about Cedrick "DUI" Benson.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Benson doesn't scare me. He has faced two bad/questionable defenses.

Now he has to face a defense that was the #1 overall defense last year, #2 against the run by like two yards a game.

Benson won't do jack against us.

And once Palmer starts getting rattled by getting hit, his throws will be hurried. And we need to make him throw left, he can't throw across his body and will just take a sack or throw a horrible ball.

Steelers 27 (yeah, we finally score some points)
Bengals 10

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I would be very surprised if we don't shut down Benson running the ball. Make them pass the ball and of course bring pressure all game!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote