Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default What makes me a great fan.

****Warning****
*****Another Rambling LLT Editorial*****

I'm not from Pittsburgh. I'm one of those displaced fans. A product of a youthful infatuation with a team of the 70's.

I'm not a season ticket holder....but I never miss a game. If I cant score a couple of tickets I will watch them on television. If I have "somthing" else going on, I record the game and If it's not shown locally, I will watch it later on NFL Network.

I'm not surrounded by fellow Steeler fans...but I have a house full of Steeler fans. A son that bleeds black and gold and has watched the Steelers since he was he was 5 months old in the fall of 1994. A daughter who likes to sneak my Steelers clothing out of my closet and wear it to school because she "looks good in black". A wife who supports my obsession and good-naturely teases me...but stands behind the team come playoff time.

But most importantly.....I'm not upset by a bad season. I get upset over losses. Heck, I am an a-hole for about two hours after a loss...but I get over it and NEVER get upset over a bad season. I have been a fan long enough to appreciate the ebbs and tides that IS the NFL. No one can win every game and no team is going to win the Super Bowl every year...but as a Steeler fan (and a fan since I was 8 years old), I can look at each season as part of the "big picture".

I can look at each season and understand that players come and players go...injuries happen...the ball doesnt always fall into the fingertips of a Steelers running back for a game winning score. Every victory...every conferance win..every Lombardi makes me appreciate my team and the winning tradition that they have let me be a part of. BUT...every bad season doesnt have the opposite effect with me. I dont spiral out into a fit of despair and Steelers bashing. A bad season gets me excited for a good draft pick. A bad season has me looking at the roster and thinking about which players might slip into a starting position next year.

Its just so intellectually lazy to look at a bad game....a bad season...and say "that was bad". No kidding!!!!! What I expect from "good fans" is the same realistic yet optimistic look at a team that DESERVES my benefit of a doubt. This team did not win 6 Lombardies by stumbling across a winning formula. They lose players...they draft players...they sign free agents...they hire coaches...they lose coaches...they replace starters. And the end result is....6 Lombardies.

There are fans who wrap themselves in a pseudo-intellectual argument about how players and coaches "suck". I hate that. Not because they do or dont...but because a bad game and a bad season is the nature of the beast. If a player sucks or a coach sucks...they wont last long in the league. I have more faith in the Steelers FO to see that a coach sucks...or a Steelers coach to see that a player sucks...then I have of myself or a fan who tries to "enlighten" others as to how to obtain "Steelers Nirvana".

Give it a break. Football is to be enjoyed. Football forums are to be enjoyed. This isnt a place to try and impress others with the fact that you have "the answer" that has eluded everyone else on the planet. This isnt the place to drop the intellectual equivelent of a pile of fecal matter and think that you are a contributing member. We have the best franchise in the NFL so If the majority of your posts are negative then I have no use for you.

Steelers football is a wonderful and entertaining distraction from everday life, not a way to make yourself feel "smarter" then the rest of us fans. Its a vicarious means to feed the competitive spirit not a way to feed a superiority complex. Its a social group that gives us all something in common, not a means to set yourself apart from the rest of us.

So...what makes me a great fan?

Until Febuary of 2010, I am a fan of the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

After that I will either be gloating over our 7th Lombardi....or giggling with glee over the prospect of a great draft pick.

It's as simple as that.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: What makes me a great fan.

Quote:
Steelers football is a wonderful and entertaining distraction from everday life, not a way to make yourself feel "smarter" then the rest of us fans.
But it does make me feel smarter than the Bungals fans I'm surrounded by everyday.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Guttpuppy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9534

Good stuff although I never have "something" else going on... Steeler games trump everything outside of an emergency.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

LLT. We could be twins. Well,,,,,, I'm the much older twin.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttpuppy View Post
Good stuff although I never have "something" else going on... Steeler games trump everything outside of an emergency.
By "something" ....I mean a funeral...or a severe illness of a CLOSE family member.

Any event with non-close family members...and weddings of any kind do not meet the criteria.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
But it does make me feel smarter than the Bungals fans I'm surrounded by everyday.
You should try my life. cowboy fans are both arrogant and ignorant.

I guess that pretty much describes the Bungal fan as well, doesn't it.

Simply, The Chief.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
LLT. We could be twins. Well,,,,,, I'm the much older twin.
LOL!!!

I can be the Danny Devito to your Arnold Schwartzeneger!!!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
LOL!!!

I can be the Danny Devito to your Arnold Schwartzeneger!!!!!
I take it, you didn't see my pitures.

Simply, The Chief.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I take it, you didn't see my pitures.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
****Warning****
*****Another Rambling LLT Editorial*****

I'm not from Pittsburgh. I'm one of those displaced fans. A product of a youthful infatuation with a team of the 70's.

I'm not a season ticket holder....but I never miss a game. If I cant score a couple of tickets I will watch them on television. If I have "somthing" else going on, I record the game and If it's not shown locally, I will watch it later on NFL Network.

I'm not surrounded by fellow Steeler fans...but I have a house full of Steeler fans. A son that bleeds black and gold and has watched the Steelers since he was he was 5 months old in the fall of 1994. A daughter who likes to sneak my Steelers clothing out of my closet and wear it to school because she "looks good in black". A wife who supports my obsession and good-naturely teases me...but stands behind the team come playoff time.

But most importantly.....I'm not upset by a bad season. I get upset over losses. Heck, I am an a-hole for about two hours after a loss...but I get over it and NEVER get upset over a bad season. I have been a fan long enough to appreciate the ebbs and tides that IS the NFL. No one can win every game and no team is going to win the Super Bowl every year...but as a Steeler fan (and a fan since I was 8 years old), I can look at each season as part of the "big picture".

I can look at each season and understand that players come and players go...injuries happen...the ball doesnt always fall into the fingertips of a Steelers running back for a game winning score. Every victory...every conferance win..every Lombardi makes me appreciate my team and the winning tradition that they have let me be a part of. BUT...every bad season doesnt have the opposite effect with me. I dont spiral out into a fit of despair and Steelers bashing. A bad season gets me excited for a good draft pick. A bad season has me looking at the roster and thinking about which players might slip into a starting position next year.

Its just so intellectually lazy to look at a bad game....a bad season...and say "that was bad". No kidding!!!!! What I expect from "good fans" is the same realistic yet optimistic look at a team that DESERVES my benefit of a doubt. This team did not win 6 Lombardies by stumbling across a winning formula. They lose players...they draft players...they sign free agents...they hire coaches...they lose coaches...they replace starters. And the end result is....6 Lombardies.

There are fans who wrap themselves in a pseudo-intellectual argument about how players and coaches "suck". I hate that. Not because they do or dont...but because a bad game and a bad season is the nature of the beast. If a player sucks or a coach sucks...they wont last long in the league. I have more faith in the Steelers FO to see that a coach sucks...or a Steelers coach to see that a player sucks...then I have of myself or a fan who tries to "enlighten" others as to how to obtain "Steelers Nirvana".

Give it a break. Football is to be enjoyed. Football forums are to be enjoyed. This isnt a place to try and impress others with the fact that you have "the answer" that has eluded everyone else on the planet. This isnt the place to drop the intellectual equivelent of a pile of fecal matter and think that you are a contributing member. We have the best franchise in the NFL so If the majority of your posts are negative then I have no use for you.

Steelers football is a wonderful and entertaining distraction from everday life, not a way to make yourself feel "smarter" then the rest of us fans. Its a vicarious means to feed the competitive spirit not a way to feed a superiority complex. Its a social group that gives us all something in common, not a means to set yourself apart from the rest of us.

So...what makes me a great fan?

Until Febuary of 2010, I am a fan of the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

After that I will either be gloating over our 7th Lombardi....or giggling with glee over the prospect of a great draft pick.

It's as simple as that.
Bravo LLT!!! I think this is the absolute BEST post I've ever read on this board and I've read a lot of great ones over the years.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote