Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Dorsett rips romo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,191853

Tony Dorsett rips into Tony Romo for some reason

By MJD

Tony Romo(notes) had a really bad game against the Giants on Sunday night. A really, really bad game. In a contest where the Cowboys were able to run the ball with ease, Romo threw three interceptions, all of which led to Giants touchdowns and directly handed a prime-time, network television win to the evil, hated Giants.

Romo was awful. He knows it. He admits it.

Does one bad game make him a bad quarterback, though? To some, evidently, it does. Former running back and Cowboys legend Tony Dorsett lashed out at Romo in a radio interview earlier this week.

"I don't know why on God's earth Tony Romo has been anointed a superstar in the National Football League. Tony is very young in his career. Not to say you can't be young in your career and be a superstar because you've got one up there in Minnesota in Adrian Peterson.

"But the thing is this: You have a guy who hasn't done much, and quarterbacks in the NFL, most of them go through this growing curve. He hasn't gone through that growing curve, but he was anointed this great player all of a sudden. Now he's having to live up to that. And obviously Tony has some deficiencies.

"He's a good player who's still learning how to play in the NFL, and I think the media has given him too much credit for doing nothing. He hasn't done anything really in the NFL to deserve all the recognition and visibility he's gotten so far."

Now, far be it from me to question the judgment of a Hall of Famer like Tony Dorsett, but I'd like to respectfully disagree here. Romo, while young and with still a lot to prove, isn't some bum. He's not out there "doing nothing." He wasn't "anointed" a great player. He earned it.

Look at the numbers: For three straight years, Romo's had a quarterback rating in the 90s, putting him in the league's top 10 all three years, and in the top five twice. Are we going to pretend that didn't happen? Does that not count, for some reason?

He is the active NFL leader in yards-per-pass-attempt -- ahead of Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Warner, and everyone else. He's fourth all-time in the same statistic. He was second in the league in passing touchdowns to Tom Brady's(notes) other-wordly 50 in 2007. He's been to two Pro Bowls.

No one handed him those things. He earned them by being a damn good quarterback.

Now, all of that said, it's true that he's yet to win a playoff game, he's failed in some big moments, and in Dallas, they're used to winning playoff games and Super Bowls. I get that. But honestly, has Romo been the only flaw on the team? Is he the sole reason the Cowboys have lost those big games? Absolutely not.

And I will grant that some of Tony Romo's notoriety comes from being Jessica Simpson's love interest for a while, but let's not get it twisted. He's been a good quarterback, too. Dorsett's talking about Romo like he's Rex Grossman(notes) or something. Tony Romo has played at a very high level for the last three years, and one bad game in prime time and the scorn of Tony Dorsett can't erase that.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Dorsett rips romo

I think Romo is a good quarterback. He has all of the physical tools you look for, and the Cowboys got a steal with him as an UDFA.

However, there are times I think he's in love with the celebrity of being the Cowboys quarterback and not with being the Cowboys quarterback.

He needs to buckle down and do what needs to be done to be a winner, otherwise he's going to keep getting blasted by people.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
He wasn't "anointed" a great player. He earned it.
Yes he was, and no he didn't. Hence the BS comparisons in the media to Roger Staubach after his "miracle comeback" against the Bills two years ago (never mind it was his FIVE INTs that put them in the hole in that game to begin with). Dorsett was spot on with his comments.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 1,345 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yes he was, and no he didn't. Hence the BS comparisons in the media to Roger Staubach after his "miracle comeback" against the Bills two years ago (never mind it was his FIVE INTs that put them in the hole in that game to begin with). Dorsett was spot on with his comments.
Yep. No question about it.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Romo is way overrated. He's an OK quarterback who gets about twice as much credit as he deserves because Dallas was in a QB drought. Not hard to look good by comparison when the guys who came before you were Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and way-past-their-prime versions of Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham and Vinny Testaverde.

Kind of reminds me of the Don Majkowski situation in Green Bay back in the early '90s. The Packers had been so incompetent for so long that the first time they got an OK quarterback, they thought the guy walked on water. But he was really just average, and after a few years, it wore off. Look how that turned out.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Dorsett is spot on about Romo....
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

I read this article twice and have to disagree with the title...i honestly dont think dorsett really ripped on him too bad, he merely spoke the truth. He blamed the media for hyping him up, and said hes a good player whos still learning how to play.....all true. He did say that romo has some deficiencies, but that can be said about every NFL QB
Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Romo is way overrated. He's an OK quarterback who gets about twice as much credit as he deserves because Dallas was in a QB drought. Not hard to look good by comparison when the guys who came before you were Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and way-past-their-prime versions of Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham and Vinny Testaverde.

Kind of reminds me of the Don Majkowski situation in Green Bay back in the early '90s. The Packers had been so incompetent for so long that the first time they got an OK quarterback, they thought the guy walked on water. But he was really just average, and after a few years, it wore off. Look how that turned out.
I honestly believe that Romo's overhyped ability has to do with the fact that he is a valued fantasy football QB - nothing more. By the time the NFL is in the playoffs, the fantasy football leagues are finished and there's nothing fantasy about him - other than maybe his girlfriends! MAYBE!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836

Does anyone agree that Romo is similar in style to Ben?
I`m not talking about their relative abilities but more the way they both like to duck and dive and try to make big plays...it`s just that Ben does it that much better.HA!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

I was surprised. I expected Romo to have his big meltdown game once the weather got colder. Guess December came early for him.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote