Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540
Default Polamalu?

Do you remember those old Klondike Bar commercials with that stupid jingle, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Of course you do. But, "what would you do for Troy Polamalu?"

Our defense hasn't looked the same without him, to say the least. But, just think about what he brings to the table. He terrifies the QB. In ways Tyrone Carter can't. Our defense has looked vanilla without him. I know that I am kind of stating the obvious, but for some reason when i read this forum, I feel like some of you don't understand how hard it is on our system to be without him.

To me, he brings 3 major things to our Defense.

1) He doesn't allow RBs to get to the outside AND he doesn't allow RBs to get through the front 7 without getting hit. He has incredible closing speed and rarely whiffs completely on a tackle. I'm not saying that he makes the tackle on every play, but he normally hits the RB at some point, either slowing them or forcing them into other tacklers.

2) He closes windows in the secondary. Again, his speed allows him to close gaps between him and receivers as good as anyone in the league if not better. His instincts keep him around the ball as well. Also he has amazing hands. Need I go on?

3) He creates massive pre-snap confusion. Unlike anyone else in the league, he can get into a QBs head. QBs have trouble figuring out what Polamalu will do before the snap. This is a demonstration on what a QBs thought process must be like:

With Polamalu on the field:

Presnap: omg, where is Troy.

After the snap: wtf, How did he get over there!

( Meanwhile, Silverback has crushed through the tackle after being held through-out the play. Also Woodley is trying to collapse the pocket as well)

Now, the QB has a couple decisions to make before he is given punishment by our blitz. He can try to escape the rush, Or He could attempt to fit it into a tight window in the shot middle on the field, Or He could dump it off to the TE or RB for like a 3 yard gain.

Not bad options, I must say. But lets see without Polamalu:

Presnap: Ok, there is Silverback and Woodley

After the snap: Ok I can see the rush coming

(Ok, now the QB can now look down field. I'd like to think, he's thinking "lol, Tyrone Carter", but then i feel like the QB never thought of Tyrone Carter because he's pretty much irrelevant)

So, now the QB isn't under as much pressure, plus he is looking at much larger windows in the middle of the field. Now he can deliver a 5-12 yard pass.

You see the difference? This is why we have lost the last 2 football games, in my opinion. Sure, they QB has to account for our LBs speed in the middle of the field too, but they don't have to account for the speed of Polamalu (which is far beyond Farrior and Timmons).

We haven't played slouch QBs in week 2 and 3. These are Probowl caliber QBs, in fact. Have you become spoiled by Troy this last year? Guess what, we play Phillip Rivers next week, and he is salivating right now. He loves throwing the ball 10-15 yards down the field, testing the safeties.

Fact: without Troy, our D is mediocre at best.

1-3 is a very real possibility.

What would you do for Troy Polamalu?
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013
Default Re: Polamalu?

Troy has no weakness

Perhaps the greatest safety in the history of the NFL
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

hes the best in the nfl, cant wait to get him back, a surefire HoFer
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

You can tell that our defense misses him. Carter is doing a good job filling in for him but he ain't Troy. This is two games that we lost that we should have won and I think Troy could have made a difference in both of them. I can't wait to get him back.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdurand21
Do you remember those old Klondike Bar commercials with that stupid jingle, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Of course you do. But, "what would you do for Troy Polamalu?"

Our defense hasn't looked the same without him, to say the least. But, just think about what he brings to the table. He terrifies the QB. In ways Tyrone Carter can't. Our defense has looked vanilla without him. I know that I am kind of stating the obvious, but for some reason when i read this forum, I feel like some of you don't understand how hard it is on our system to be without him.

To me, he brings 3 major things to our Defense.

1) He doesn't allow RBs to get to the outside AND he doesn't allow RBs to get through the front 7 without getting hit. He has incredible closing speed and rarely whiffs completely on a tackle. I'm not saying that he makes the tackle on every play, but he normally hits the RB at some point, either slowing them or forcing them into other tacklers.

2) He closes windows in the secondary. Again, his speed allows him to close gaps between him and receivers as good as anyone in the league if not better. His instincts keep him around the ball as well. Also he has amazing hands. Need I go on?

3) He creates massive pre-snap confusion. Unlike anyone else in the league, he can get into a QBs head. QBs have trouble figuring out what Polamalu will do before the snap. This is a demonstration on what a QBs thought process must be like:

With Polamalu on the field:

Presnap: omg, where is Troy.

After the snap: wtf, How did he get over there!

( Meanwhile, Silverback has crushed through the tackle after being held through-out the play. Also Woodley is trying to collapse the pocket as well)

Now, the QB has a couple decisions to make before he is given punishment by our blitz. He can try to escape the rush, Or He could attempt to fit it into a tight window in the shot middle on the field, Or He could dump it off to the TE or RB for like a 3 yard gain.

Not bad options, I must say. But lets see without Polamalu:

Presnap: Ok, there is Silverback and Woodley

After the snap: Ok I can see the rush coming

(Ok, now the QB can now look down field. I'd like to think, he's thinking "lol, Tyrone Carter", but then i feel like the QB never thought of Tyrone Carter because he's pretty much irrelevant)

So, now the QB isn't under as much pressure, plus he is looking at much larger windows in the middle of the field. Now he can deliver a 5-12 yard pass.

You see the difference? This is why we have lost the last 2 football games, in my opinion. Sure, they QB has to account for our LBs speed in the middle of the field too, but they don't have to account for the speed of Polamalu (which is far beyond Farrior and Timmons).

We haven't played slouch QBs in week 2 and 3. These are Probowl caliber QBs, in fact. Have you become spoiled by Troy this last year? Guess what, we play Phillip Rivers next week, and he is salivating right now. He loves throwing the ball 10-15 yards down the field, testing the safeties.

Fact: without Troy, our D is mediocre at best.

1-3 is a very real possibility.

What would you do for Troy Polamalu?

My answer to your question is: the only thing that I actually can do. Hoping the heck of me to have him back real soon.

All in all, an arguably relevant post, I think...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

So? Maybe Lebeau isn't as good as we all think he is? Just asking since having Troy makes the defense click and without him they're very vanilla.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bradshaw View Post
Troy has no weakness

Perhaps the greatest safety in the history of the NFL
And some where calling him a wasted pick, and bust and calling for Steelers to get rid of him going into his 2nd year. Never can tell can you.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

Troy is a great player and no doubt the best defensive player we have but there is something else going on with this Defense. They seem to come out strong with blitz packages and shut down the other Team but as the game goes alaong they go to prevent mode, very few blitzes.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote