Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589
Default Throwback uniforms

Yesterday, both Tennessee and NYJets played in throwback uniforms.

I got surprised seeing the Titans featuring the old Oilers colours. Why?

Because, in my view, it's all wrong. Why?

Because once a team changes its name, the old team should be laid to rest. Period.

It's OK to say:
"...when they were the Baltimore Colts, the Indianapolis Colts won their first game" - for a totally random example. It's the same team. Only its location changed.

But when you move from Houston/Texas to Memphis/Tennessee and you get tired of the name "Oilers" changing it in "Titans", then -in my view- you gave up everything achieved as "Oilers"! And don't tell me you've done it (i.e. the name change) to mark your new enviroment! Please. 'Cose then you could've done it like the Colts: Tennessee Oilers (yeah, come now and tell me the bull that: "I couldn't call myself an Oiler here, because Tennessee, unlike Texas, doesn't have oil.")

It's just wrong in my book.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500
Default Re: Throwback uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrush View Post

Because once a team changes its name, the old team should be laid to rest. Period.

It's OK to say:
"...when they were the Baltimore Colts, the Indianapolis Colts won their first game" - for a totally random example. It's the same team. Only its location changed.

But when you move from Houston/Texas to Memphis/Tennessee and you get tired of the name "Oilers" changing it in "Titans", then -in my view- you gave up everything achieved as "Oilers"! And don't tell me you've done it (i.e. the name change) to mark your new enviroment! Please. 'Cose then you could've done it like the Colts: Tennessee Oilers (yeah, come now and tell me the bull that: "I couldn't call myself an Oiler here, because Tennessee, unlike Texas, doesn't have oil.")

Your thoughts?
I agree. I also think the NFL should make a rule that when you relocate a franchise, you HAVE to come up with a new team name and unis and leave the unis and history behind.

Some franchise names are stupid. New Orleans Jazz? Makes sense. How many trumpeters and tenor sax players are wailing in Utah? How many lakes are there in LA? Ever see a bighorn sheep in Missouri?
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589

Well I wouldn't go for a rule-change. And if you re-locate your team, it's ok.
But then you have two choices:
1. Keep the name or
2. Change the name.

But be aware that once changed, you've got yourself a diffrent team on paper. In spite of having the absolute same players.

And I ask every fellow Steeler:
Honestly, if the Rooneys switch the Steelers in, say Salt Lake City, and the team will be called Salt Lake City/Utah Steelers (Jeezz...how awful it sounds), will you then be still proud of the six Lombardies won?
YES!

But what if they'd become the Salt Lake City/Utah Diggers?
Then, at least, I would be glad at Pittsburgh city's pride to host six Lombardies. 'Cose the new Diggers would not have gotten squat!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Rek
Starter

Member Number: 10681

I just got to say that the NY Jets throwbacks are freakin' badass. I love the colors.

And Mark Sanchez looks so dreamy.....sigh......

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

I agree also-it just seems too weird, difficult for me to relate one to the other. Could you imagine the Ravens wearing Browns uniforms???? Nobody mentioned the ugliness of the Seahawks throwbacks...
If the Steelers were ever sold off to another city I don't think I would follow them much after that, it wouldn't be the same for me at all. Alot of my love for the team has to do with my love of the area where I grew up. If that connection was broken my loyalty would lose most of it's meaning. Hard to explain.
beSteelmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
I agree. I also think the NFL should make a rule that when you relocate a franchise, you HAVE to come up with a new team name and unis and leave the unis and history behind.

Some franchise names are stupid. New Orleans Jazz? Makes sense. How many trumpeters and tenor sax players are wailing in Utah? How many lakes are there in LA? Ever see a bighorn sheep in Missouri?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
jcdavey08
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10222

Quote:

It's OK to say:

Your thoughts?
how were you surprised by seeing the old oilers unis when they already wore them in the hall of fame game?
jcdavey08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:

It's OK to say:

Your thoughts?
I agree. It's a travesty that the Houston Oilers are gone. The Texans should have that name. And Baltimore Colts sounds a lot better.

Interestingly the Colts themselves were really the Dallas Texans who were really the Boston Yanks/New York Yankees/Brooklyn Tigers. But when they moved to Baltimore they adopted the Baltimore Colts name from a previous team and they don't claim any history before 1953.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by beSteelmyheart View Post
I agree also-it just seems too weird, difficult for me to relate one to the other. Could you imagine the Ravens wearing Browns uniforms???? Nobody mentioned the ugliness of the Seahawks throwbacks...
If the Steelers were ever sold off to another city I don't think I would follow them much after that, it wouldn't be the same for me at all. Alot of my love for the team has to do with my love of the area where I grew up. If that connection was broken my loyalty would lose most of it's meaning. Hard to explain.
Those ugly things wasnt throwbacks but a 3rd jersey. For those who didnt see em.....
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

the Seahawks alternate uni looks like a scrimmage uniform.

I like the Jets throwback alot more then their current uni, it would be cool for them to switch back to thous colors full time.