Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Just Some Opinions and Observations

these are just some thoughts. the losses so far are team losses, but i thought i would express some opinions on a few parts of the team. take them for what they are worth.

IMO, lebeau has been calling a soft defense. that's not really unusual. not to take anything away from lebeau, but i have always preferred capers because he was more aggressive in his schemes. the steelers have admitted they are content with letting teams dink and dunk their way down the field in the hopes they make a mistake. if the opposing QBs are taking 3-step drops then you can't give such huge cushions.

the D-line seems to be showing its age along with farrior. i know, i know...farrior is the greatest LB ever, but he is getting old and slowing down. this doesn't mean bench him. he is still the team's best option.

woodley has done nothing all year. you can claim he has been near the QB a lot, but his so-called close proximity to the QB has not affected them at all. what i find more troubling in his inability to contain a play. so far this year he looks like another gildon. are the losses his fault alone? no way, but like many others, he has not been showing up.

holmes is still hindered by average to below average hands. he is not a sure-handed WR yet.

BR has been playing very well for the most part. though his long passes are still gut wrenching to watch.

the O-line is still horrible. who cares about getting yards against the feeble bengals? try doing it against a decent defense for a change.

keisel who? does this guy do anything to validate his contract? he is weak against the run due to his lack of size. he isn't so great at pressuring the QB either. experience is the only thing keeping him in. i hope hood learns quickly. keisel is still the obvious choice at starting RDT...for now.

for all the heat carter has received i don't think he has done too badly. it's not like he is the starter and we know he is not a polamalu

sweed is irrelevant at the moment. wallace easily replaces him. as of now, it's a contest between holmes and sweed for the worst hands. wallace looks like he will be the steelers ROY. he may even be in the running for NFL ROY.

harrison looks like the only player on defense who plays with fire.

gay played ok. much better than last week. gay's little celebrations are...well just use his last name to describe it his celebrations look even more ridiculous after this embarrassing loss.

polamalu is much needed, but to blame losses on his absence is an insult to the team as a whole. the steelers should be 3-0 even without polamalu.

the O-line is...hmmmm...still pathetic. i realize i am not a coach, but to me that is a very poor O-line that desperately needs talent and/or better coaching. the steelers need to find a way to move up in the draft so they can obtain a blue chip O-lineman(OT). if things keep going the way they have been they may not need to move up in the draft. they will already be there.

they called starks for that hold, but nothing for harrison being held in the same fashion or even worse?

this is not the end of the season. they are 1-2. it's not a good thing, but it certainly isn't the worst. losing to the bengals makes beating the ravens that much more important. does anyone really feel totally confident that the steelers can sweep the ravens or the browns for that matter? if the steelers lose next week then it's time for the coaches to react and repair.

tough game next week. a win against the chargers will help team morale and help focus them.

i'll stop here. i could go on a lot longer
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Just Some Opinions and Observations

Not a bad assessment Steeldude. Although I'm not much a fan of Carter. He's slow at best and his thigh injury isn't helping him. Yes, he does bring the lumber when he finally closes on a play. Nothing personal against the guy as he's obviously busting his jibs out there, but he just doens't have the wheels to get there. The Benson TD run gave me memories of a playoff game against Jacksonville ... Carter just didn't have the legs to make the play. Farrier looked slow too. I love watching him play and think hes' awesome. But that 4th & 10 conversion was not made by a WR or a fast running back. It was a guy that lumbered across the field. And to make matters worse for these two guys, it's not like the Steelers D was on the field all day. So having knocked a couple good defenders here, I'm just wondering if Lebeau should be subbing for those guys as well (throughout the game). Does anyone feel that Mundy might have made the play against an average runner in Benson? Would Fox have caught Brian Leonard prior to his fat keister getting 11 yards on 4th down? I never liked the old saying that a less than 100% athlete is better than their backup. That's crap. Championships are won based on depth and because that depth participates on the field of play. Championships are not won because the best 2nd and 3rd stringers in the league are riding the pine.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
these are just some thoughts. the losses so far are team losses, but i thought i would express some opinions on a few parts of the team. take them for what they are worth.

IMO, lebeau has been calling a soft defense. that's not really unusual. not to take anything away from lebeau, but i have always preferred capers because he was more aggressive in his schemes. the steelers have admitted they are content with letting teams dink and dunk their way down the field in the hopes they make a mistake. if the opposing QBs are taking 3-step drops then you can't give such huge cushions.

the D-line seems to be showing its age along with farrior. i know, i know...farrior is the greatest LB ever, but he is getting old and slowing down. this doesn't mean bench him. he is still the team's best option.

woodley has done nothing all year. you can claim he has been near the QB a lot, but his so-called close proximity to the QB has not affected them at all. what i find more troubling in his inability to contain a play. so far this year he looks like another gildon. are the losses his fault alone? no way, but like many others, he has not been showing up.

holmes is still hindered by average to below average hands. he is not a sure-handed WR yet.

BR has been playing very well for the most part. though his long passes are still gut wrenching to watch.

the O-line is still horrible. who cares about getting yards against the feeble bengals? try doing it against a decent defense for a change.

keisel who? does this guy do anything to validate his contract? he is weak against the run due to his lack of size. he isn't so great at pressuring the QB either. experience is the only thing keeping him in. i hope hood learns quickly. keisel is still the obvious choice at starting RDT...for now.

for all the heat carter has received i don't think he has done too badly. it's not like he is the starter and we know he is not a polamalu

sweed is irrelevant at the moment. wallace easily replaces him. as of now, it's a contest between holmes and sweed for the worst hands. wallace looks like he will be the steelers ROY. he may even be in the running for NFL ROY.

harrison looks like the only player on defense who plays with fire.

gay played ok. much better than last week. gay's little celebrations are...well just use his last name to describe it his celebrations look even more ridiculous after this embarrassing loss.

polamalu is much needed, but to blame losses on his absence is an insult to the team as a whole. the steelers should be 3-0 even without polamalu.

the O-line is...hmmmm...still pathetic. i realize i am not a coach, but to me that is a very poor O-line that desperately needs talent and/or better coaching. the steelers need to find a way to move up in the draft so they can obtain a blue chip O-lineman(OT). if things keep going the way they have been they may not need to move up in the draft. they will already be there.

they called starks for that hold, but nothing for harrison being held in the same fashion or even worse?

this is not the end of the season. they are 1-2. it's not a good thing, but it certainly isn't the worst. losing to the bengals makes beating the ravens that much more important. does anyone really feel totally confident that the steelers can sweep the ravens or the browns for that matter? if the steelers lose next week then it's time for the coaches to react and repair.

tough game next week. a win against the chargers will help team morale and help focus them.

i'll stop here. i could go on a lot longer
Excellent accessment! Nuff said!
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Although I'm not much a fan of Carter
me neither, but i think he is serviceable. definitely need polamalu back. i think the steelers should be able to live without polamalu. i would hate to see him rushed back and re-injure the knee.

if mundy catches on it could mean the last season for carter or perhaps a 3rd-string role
Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

The soft defense part is the part that bothers me the most. In our Super Bowl years, the defense seems to have a completely different (and much more aggressive) look to it. You know what I'm talking about -- 4 or 5 LBs and DBs fired up and jumping around near the line, looking like any of them could attack on any given play, just messing with their heads all day.

This year, it's been more like, OK, we'll send a straight 4-man rush and not disguise which guys are coming. I saw some plays yesterday where no one other than Harrison and the three DLs were within five yards of the line of scrimmage. Not surprisingly, that's when we got picked apart underneath. I know part of this is because of Troy being out, but it goes beyond just that.

What really worries me is that this is the way I saw our defense acting in 2006 and 2007. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great defense. But without that extra fire, it's not a Super Bowl winning defense. I hope we find that in the next few weeks, or it spells trouble.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

i agree, steelreserve.

the basic 4-man rushes with huge cushions is killing the steelers. it's not like the steelers' D-line is going to get that sack. let alone a sack against a 3-step drop. most of the time it looks like they are content with wrestling with the O-linemen rather than trying to get by them and at the QB.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
i agree, steelreserve.

the basic 4-man rushes with huge cushions is killing the steelers. it's not like the steelers' D-line is going to get that sack. let alone a sack against a 3-step drop. most of the time it looks like they are content with wrestling with the O-linemen rather than trying to get by them and at the QB.
Kind of reminds me of the 2003 Steelers with Chad Scott, Dewayne Washington, Brent Alexander, Mike Logan keeping everything in front of them and getting little help from the pass rush.

Couldnt run the football back then with Bettis and Zeroue, so had to let Maddox sling it around. Oh well.........cant win the Lombardi every year huh?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

2003 was also the year the entire O-line missed games. faneca had to play LT
Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
2003 was also the year the entire O-line missed games. faneca had to play LT
True, so they had no running game or ability to close out games on the ground then either.

I just find it amusing that many that have embraced the shift away from a power running game in favor of an empty backfield passing attack lead by Ben. Those are the same that now wonder why the Steelers can't close out games.

What was the record by Cowher lead teams in the 4th quarter when leading by 10 or more?? I say if you live by the right arm of Ben Roethlisberger, then you have to accept losing games like this as a cost of doing business.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
True, so they had no running game or ability to close out games on the ground then either.

I just find it amusing that many that have embraced the shift away from a power running game in favor of an empty backfield passing attack lead by Ben. Those are the same that now wonder why the Steelers can't close out games.

What was the record by Cowher lead teams in the 4th quarter when leading by 10 or more?? I say if you live by the right arm of Ben Roethlisberger, then you have to accept losing games like this as a cost of doing business.
Thing is, they tried to pull a "Cowher" last night and it backfired...and thus the usual suspects are now blaming Arians and the offense for the loss, which I still say is misplaced. I agree that they should have put more points on the board, but they still gave the D an 11-point lead to work with. A championship-caliber defense does not give up that kind of lead with 10 minutes left in the game, end of story.