Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540
Default A Look Ahead

Since, I've seen the blame put on everyone this week, (I personally blame Mike Wallace for stepping out at the 5 after that 40 yard grab ) it's time to move on people. It's time to start thinking about the Chargers. If you think this team isn't very good, you're a moron. This team is loaded with talent but the Steelers are too. Here are a few things we should look out for:

Vertical Passing Game: With Troy out and smaller corners (6'1 and 5'10), look for Rivers to stretch the defense with a vertical passing game. He has some big targets out there, 2 that are 6'5, 2 that are 6'2, and 1 that is 6'4. Rivers is throwing for 300+ yards a game, and his favorite target, Vincent Jackson, is almost averaging 20 yards a reception.

Key Matchups: Timmons v Gates and Taylor v Jackson.

Darren Sproles: Along with the vertical attack, you can expect a few screens to attempt and throw off a blitz-happy defense. Last year, Sproles had 5 rec for 91 yards and a TD, we need to keep him more in check this year.

Key Matchup: Farrior v Sproles

Shawne Merriman: He's been straight up bad this year with only 6 tackles. He has been hampered with an injury though, and could be looking for that breakout game against a much improved Steelers OL unit. Look for him to attempt to use steroids and choke out Max Starks like Tila Tequlia.

With all that being said, this is a very winnable game, but we need to keep the ball out of Phillip Rivers' hands. The San Diego run D is porous and ranked 26th in the league. I expect 20+ carries for Parker and HOPEFULLY atleast 5-7 for Mendenhall.

Go Steelers! 23-17 Steelers

Edit: add your predictions of the game!
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419
Default Re: A Look Ahead

ya ill take 23-17 steelers, its all about the defense, weve only lost the past 2 bcuz of defense, we couldnt hold leads in the 4th quarter which never happens, so this score could easily be reversed if we dont play well
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I say this time we start out slow and get behind by 2 touchdowns.

The other way isn't working.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdurand21 View Post
Since, I've seen the blame put on everyone this week, (I personally blame Mike Wallace for stepping out at the 5 after that 40 yard grab ) it's time to move on people. It's time to start thinking about the Chargers. If you think this team isn't very good, you're a moron. This team is loaded with talent but the Steelers are too. Here are a few things we should look out for:

Vertical Passing Game: With Troy out and smaller corners (6'1 and 5'10), look for Rivers to stretch the defense with a vertical passing game. He has some big targets out there, 2 that are 6'5, 2 that are 6'2, and 1 that is 6'4. Rivers is throwing for 300+ yards a game, and his favorite target, Vincent Jackson, is almost averaging 20 yards a reception.

Key Matchups: Timmons v Gates and Taylor v Jackson.

Darren Sproles: Along with the vertical attack, you can expect a few screens to attempt and throw off a blitz-happy defense. Last year, Sproles had 5 rec for 91 yards and a TD, we need to keep him more in check this year.

Key Matchup: Farrior v Sproles

Shawne Merriman: He's been straight up bad this year with only 6 tackles. He has been hampered with an injury though, and could be looking for that breakout game against a much improved Steelers OL unit. Look for him to attempt to use steroids and choke out Max Starks like Tila Tequlia.

With all that being said, this is a very winnable game, but we need to keep the ball out of Phillip Rivers' hands. The San Diego run D is porous and ranked 26th in the league. I expect 20+ carries for Parker and HOPEFULLY atleast 5-7 for Mendenhall.

Go Steelers! 23-17 Steelers

Edit: add your predictions of the game!

Dude.....You try to control yourself when your runnig 40 mph down the sideline............
That shit happens all the time...........

Ben and the boys better find their Red zone offense soon or it will be a long season.......
Forth and goal on the 2 inch line you go for it...........

Ist and goal at the 8 and you can't get in.....better get to work on some plays......

The D definatly misses Larry Foote out there......Especially on the cutback runs......
He was thte master at stuffing them.......
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Rek
Starter

Member Number: 10681

11-10. Déjà vu.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Dude.....You try to control yourself when your runnig 40 mph down the sideline............
That shit happens all the time...........

Ben and the boys better find their Red zone offense soon or it will be a long season.......
Forth and goal on the 2 inch line you go for it...........

Ist and goal at the 8 and you can't get in.....better get to work on some plays......

The D definatly misses Larry Foote out there......Especially on the cutback runs......
He was thte master at stuffing them.......
I thought it was pretty obvious.......................... that i was..................... kidding about............................. Wallace
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Quote:
I thought it was pretty obvious.......................... that i was..................... kidding about............................. Wallace
William Shatner strikes again!
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I guess I'm a moron then, because I don't think SD is all that great. They are giving up an average of 21.3 points a game, and that's against the mediocre offenses of Miami, Oakland and the Ratbirds (who are overrated). We should pile up points against them.

Offensively, without their C and LT, they are extremely one-dimensional. We need to set-up to stop the pass and let them try and beat us running the ball, which they won't be able to do. We should win like 35-21...
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
You pretty much have to hit the dude between the eyes with a sledgehammer for him to "get it."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote