Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
SteelStang
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11792
Default The NFL Is Cutting It's Own Throat

Perhaps I should have said Goodell rather than the NFL but same thing I guess.

You would really have to be out to lunch not to notice that the league has spoken to officiating crews about Hines Ward and James Harrison. I do not make my comments out of anger from yesterday's game because I had planned to write this anyway.

In the first 3 games, Hines has been penalized I believe 5 times. An offensive PI (It was the right call although it rarely GETS called) and he has had a bogus illegal formation and 3 holding calls. The call yesterday that obviously infuriated Tomlin and Arians was ridiculous. If that was not proof that officials aren't targeting Ward than I don't know what is.

As for Harrison, it appears to me that unless a blocker is so completely mugging JH then holding will not be called. While it would be easy for coaches to tell JH to play beyond and above what he can't control, at some point he has to be wondering if he'll ever get a break. These arm bars and clear grabbing of his jersey on the inside near his waist have gotten to be too much. It's holding, plain and simple.

These are just two points as I make the case that the NFL is destroying itself. Ty Carter was fined for a perfectly legal hit that was not penalized during the game last week. Officials, after reviewing the tape, ruled that he led with his head.
Yesterday, Bengals DB Joseph clearly led with his helmet in the opening stages of the game when he hit Heath Miller. No penalty was called and you can bet the league will not fine him either.

I think we can all agree that safety is a must in football, but at what cost? Does the NFL want to turn this into the Arena League with 70-55 scores because there is no defense? Aggresiveness on the field is no longer tolerated. "He led with his head." "He went too high." "He hit a defenseless player." Lines we hear every week from HQ in New York. It is getting so bad that it has trickled down to the college level. Tim Tebow was knocked out of the game on a hit that could not have been more legal. Within minutes, the discussion around the internet started to turn to whether it actually was a legal hit or not.

When we were kids and told our parents we wanted to play football, we were told to play hard and be careful. No we have to tell our kids to make sure they don't block below the waist, don't touch anyone's helmet, don't hit a defenseless player and so on.

Football is a rough sport and anyone who plays it or has it played it knows this. That roughness is part of what makes football great. I am not advocating for illegal hits or anything even remotely like that, but as Goodell and his henchmen continue to take physicality away from the players they will continue to lose fans who appreciate hard-hitting, defensive football/
Old 09-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: The NFL Is Cutting It's Own Throat

And the congregation said, "AMEN!"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
arge5809
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13245

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
And the congregation said, "AMEN!"

It is nice to har someone else with the same thoughts. If really does look like the league is trying to over penalize the Steelers.

arge5809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

You know it's interesting, as I watched the Colts Cards game last night I couldn't help but think they Freeney was getting holding calls called for him when he was getting mugged a lot less than it appears to me that Harrison does. I try to remove my homer glasses when I watch this stuff but my buddy, a charger fan, noticed it as well. It definitely seems like something is amiss here.

I'm not ready to call conspiracy or anything yet, but it is strange.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Franco32Harris
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12191

The most frustrating thing about this season in my opinion is that Harrison is getting mugged and there are no penalty flags, I find it to be ridiculous. Most of the time I prefer watching the defense instead of the offense.
Franco32Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco32Harris View Post
The most frustrating thing about this season in my opinion is that Harrison is getting mugged and there are no penalty flags, I find it to be ridiculous. Most of the time I prefer watching the defense instead of the offense.
Thats how i USED to be too
Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

If anybody remembers, Cowher was not a ref's favorite after he put that 11-man photo in the ref's pocket after getting called for 12 men on the field. Tomlin sending tapes to the office for holding against Harrison and the no-calls got them zeroed in on Ward out of spite. Call it what it is.

No way the Steelers lose if they are allowed to paly football instead of what it has degenerated into. The NFL inherently has hitting. Hitting is not the equivalent of fighting in the NHL. Two entirely different issues, but the NFL is ruining the game.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
srk173
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6010

Your also forgetting the horse collar tackle that Roy Williams did on a return by Logan. It was right infront of two refs but never called. I bet it won't get a fine either.
srk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Steelstralia
Water Boy

Member Number: 14769

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStang View Post
Perhaps I should have said Goodell rather than the NFL but same thing I guess.

You would really have to be out to lunch not to notice that the league has spoken to officiating crews about Hines Ward and James Harrison. I do not make my comments out of anger from yesterday's game because I had planned to write this anyway.

In the first 3 games, Hines has been penalized I believe 5 times. An offensive PI (It was the right call although it rarely GETS called) and he has had a bogus illegal formation and 3 holding calls. The call yesterday that obviously infuriated Tomlin and Arians was ridiculous. If that was not proof that officials aren't targeting Ward than I don't know what is.

As for Harrison, it appears to me that unless a blocker is so completely mugging JH then holding will not be called. While it would be easy for coaches to tell JH to play beyond and above what he can't control, at some point he has to be wondering if he'll ever get a break. These arm bars and clear grabbing of his jersey on the inside near his waist have gotten to be too much. It's holding, plain and simple.

These are just two points as I make the case that the NFL is destroying itself. Ty Carter was fined for a perfectly legal hit that was not penalized during the game last week. Officials, after reviewing the tape, ruled that he led with his head.
Yesterday, Bengals DB Joseph clearly led with his helmet in the opening stages of the game when he hit Heath Miller. No penalty was called and you can bet the league will not fine him either.

I think we can all agree that safety is a must in football, but at what cost? Does the NFL want to turn this into the Arena League with 70-55 scores because there is no defense? Aggresiveness on the field is no longer tolerated. "He led with his head." "He went too high." "He hit a defenseless player." Lines we hear every week from HQ in New York. It is getting so bad that it has trickled down to the college level. Tim Tebow was knocked out of the game on a hit that could not have been more legal. Within minutes, the discussion around the internet started to turn to whether it actually was a legal hit or not.

When we were kids and told our parents we wanted to play football, we were told to play hard and be careful. No we have to tell our kids to make sure they don't block below the waist, don't touch anyone's helmet, don't hit a defenseless player and so on.

Football is a rough sport and anyone who plays it or has it played it knows this. That roughness is part of what makes football great. I am not advocating for illegal hits or anything even remotely like that, but as Goodell and his henchmen continue to take physicality away from the players they will continue to lose fans who appreciate hard-hitting, defensive football/
you are completely right, i have no idea why they keep adding these stupid complex rules that apply to tackling, how else do they expect the player to take down the ball carrier? i have noticed some targeting in the past especially on the steelers in a game back in 07, i think it was against the jags (if anyone remembers however, correct me if i'm wrong). and i read an article about football casualties, more casualties happen today then it did back in the 70's and 60's, and that was the era where players of the NFL, (even the QB's) put up with some serious *beep*, sorry if this sounded off subject but i'm applying my point more to the "legal tackle" that people get charged for, i remember that tackle that bush copped from the eagles defense, that was a hard hit, and the guy got charged from what i remember reading.
and someone tell me, is it goodell himself who regulates this rules?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk173 View Post
Your also forgetting the horse collar tackle that Roy Williams did on a return by Logan. It was right infront of two refs but never called. I bet it won't get a fine either.
Williams had ahold of the jersey, not the shoulder pads. That wasn't a horse collar.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote