Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
jsteelers51191
Water Boy

Member Number: 5973
Default CB cushion and how it's hurting us

We see it year after year, but how many times are we gonna line up where our corners are gonna give so much cushion you can't even see them on the tv screen? and I'm not irrationally saying this fresh off the loss, this has been a contionous issue for the last several years, albeit it was a little better last year. As long as we give an offense that is sound and disciplined the 10 yard out routes, we WILL continue to struggle in our secondary and they will just methodically drive it that way into the endzone. And yes, Lebeau shouldn't be shielded from criticism solely because of his track record. The proper adjustments weren't made, such as moving our db's closer or become more attack oriented in the end instead of only rushing 3 or 4 and letting palmer and pick apart. You're only as good as your last game, and this applies to coaches as well.
jsteelers51191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts
Default Re: CB cushion and how it's hurting us

The Steelers play a lot of "off-man" coverages so the CB's keep things in front of them and can be reacting to the ball moving forward.

The alternative is to play "press man"(bump and run) and then be running with the WR with your back turned to him while the ball is in the air. Having your back to the ball is a major no-no in Dick LeBeau's system.

Nothing wrong with the cushion that the CB's are giving up if there is a pass rush, but there hasnt been much pressure in the past 3 weeks.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

You beat me to it, El G. So many people complain about the cushion, but it's part of the scheme that they run. They play that way to avoid giving up the big pass play, while trusting the front 7 to get pressure on the QB. If they don't get pressure, then you get what happened to the D yesterday, allowing the Bengals to dink and dunk their way down the field.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

The cushion and scheme is a good idea if you have a big lead and can keep everything in front of you. I hate to say it but I would rather give up a big play and give the ball back to the Offense then give a team chances like the last two weeks. At least we control our own destiny at that point. Case in point, if we play press coverage the last series what's the worst that could have happened. We give up a big play with 2:00+ minutes to play and have a chance to tie/win or let them dink and dunk all the way down the field and dink and dunk it into the end zone.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
The cushion and scheme is a good idea if you have a big lead and can keep everything in front of you. I hate to say it but I would rather give up a big play and give the ball back to the Offense then give a team chances like the last two weeks. At least we control our own destiny at that point. Case in point, if we play press coverage the last series what's the worst that could have happened. We give up a big play with 2:00+ minutes to play and have a chance to tie/win or let them dink and dunk all the way down the field and dink and dunk it into the end zone.
At the end of the game, they actually did play quite a bit of press coverage and were also giving a cover-2 look at times. And as we know, the weakness of the cover-2 is over the middle, which is exactly where the Bengals were attacking. It seems that if anything, they play more cover-2 when Troy is not in the lineup, and they really don't have the personnel to play it. You need to have an athletic LB who can cover in open space to really make it work, and while Timmons could be that guy, obviously he is not there yet. Why do you think Derrick Brooks had so many INTs in the "Tampa-2?" They were banking on getting pressure with 4 or 5 guys, which didn't happen, and that ended up costing them big time.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You beat me to it, El G. So many people complain about the cushion, but it's part of the scheme that they run. They play that way to avoid giving up the big pass play, while trusting the front 7 to get pressure on the QB. If they don't get pressure, then you get what happened to the D yesterday, allowing the Bengals to dink and dunk their way down the field.
Yeah, I never understand the fans that complain we give too much of a cushion, but then if Gay was to get in the face of a WR with 4.3 speed and get beat, they would complain he was too close.

Pretty much only the Raiders and Bills play consistent press man coverage in the NFL, but fans want to see the Steelers do it while Troy is freelancing at the LOS.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, I never understand the fans that complain we give too much of a cushion, but then if Gay was to get in the face of a WR with 4.3 speed and get beat, they would complain he was too close.

Pretty much only the Raiders and Bills play consistent press man coverage in the NFL, but fans want to see the Steelers do it while Troy is freelancing at the LOS.
I agree but that is what puzzled me about the Chicago game. The TE's killed us that game, I couldn't believe that we couldn't cover them man to man and double Knox. Oh well, these games are in the past so hopefully the Steelers will get back on track on Sunday night. It's going to be a long week waiting for that game!
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
I agree but that is what puzzled me about the Chicago game. The TE's killed us that game, I couldn't believe that we couldn't cover them man to man and double Knox. Oh well, these games are in the past so hopefully the Steelers will get back on track on Sunday night. It's going to be a long week waiting for that game!
Unfortunately we really couldn't in the Chicago game because Carter is not good in coverage, and Timmons was limited due to his injury. If everyone is healthy, obviously Troy's responsibility is covering the TE high while Timmons handles him in the flat or short middle.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
OK, so you double Knox, play Man on Hester and have to account for Olsen with a CB because we didnt have a LB that could cover him man to man. That means the team is constantly in a Nickel coverage and Chicago could run the football all over the other 6 guys on the field.

Its often easy to wonder and critizize, but more difficult to come up with a realistic solution.

Fact is, the cushion the CB's give is normal in the NFL and they reacty well. There was a play where Gay came up and made the tackle behind the line and "rocked the baby" afterwards. He had a good 7-8 yard cushion and made up the space FAST. That is how the style of play works. When there is not a pass rush, then it works like the old defenses of Chad Scott, Brent Alexander and Dewayne Washington in the secondary.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The Steelers play a lot of "off-man" coverages so the CB's keep things in front of them and can be reacting to the ball moving forward.

The alternative is to play "press man"(bump and run) and then be running with the WR with your back turned to him while the ball is in the air. Having your back to the ball is a major no-no in Dick LeBeau's system.

Nothing wrong with the cushion that the CB's are giving up if there is a pass rush, but there hasnt been much pressure in the past 3 weeks.
This!
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote