Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Vincent's Pizza

No relation.

Anyone here familiar with Vincent's Pizza Park?

I'd be curious to get some opinions.

These are from Yelp!. I especially like Darren's review (#2)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vincents-pizza-park-pittsburgh

Flannery C.
Boston, MA
7/31/2009
This is the best pizza place in the world, nay, the UNIVERSE.

My parents grew up along Route 30 and we've been eating there forever. We used to drive from the North Hills out to Greensburg and North Huntingdon to see our grands, and LOVED picking Vincent's up on the way to or from.

They make a kickass pizza and staple white paper around it for the trip home. What a greasebomb--we always ask for extra cardboard to put underneath or it will leak on your car seats.

It is the cheesiest, tastiest creation ever. They put so many toppings on and I've never seen another place do pepperoni like them.

From what I remember, (I moved away a few years ago and I am salivating just thinking about this place) they are cash only but they have an ATM inside. Also, they have a jukebox--Allman Brothers-One Way Out while we wait. Yum!

Darren W.
Pittsburgh, PA
6/6/2009
Ok, I finally tried this pizza last night with a few of my co-workers.

If this were a Silver Age Lee/Kirby comic book monster tale, my review would be titled...

"WE FOUGHT MOZZNTERRELLA, THE LIVING PIZZA THAT TOOK OVER PITTSBURGH!"

Let me preface this by saying that I am a lifelong South Hills resident but have known of this restaurant through word of mouth (hushed tones?)and a featurette on our local PBS affiliate.

They don't make pizzas like Vincent's in the South Hills.

No pizza place I know of has a picture of the owner on its sign.

Ours are neatly made, respectable.

Vincent's pizza comes from Hell.

I mean, this is a pizza made by a madman, a lunatic, a megalomaniac. Lovecraft would have written of it. Black Sabbath may have composed "E5150" because of it.

The crust is bloated, deformed and threatens to usurp the rest of the pie. It almost...pulsates. The toppings and cheese are seemingly put on the pizza via a "grab and throw" technique by a 12 foot tall ogre.

There's no rhyme or reason to the fixings. We got our pizza with "the works" and the toppings were all over the place. The pie could not contain the toppings. The spare toppings could have made for a meal in itself. That's how much stuff they pile onto the pizza, and they are quite literally PILED onto the pizza. The toppings have a life of their own. They scuttle off of the pizza and onto the table like parasites clinging to and falling off of what the Army would call a "Large Scale Aggressor."

The bottom of the pie is thin, crisp and has a sinful, brimstone flavor.

This is a pizza borne of the devil's fire.

Each slice slithers off of the warped pan and onto your plate, leaving its entrails behind.

But please for the love of all that is holy and of the light, do not try to pick up this pizza and eat it. Use silverware and make sure your knife and fork are blessed by a priest. This pizza will devour the poor soul that tries to tackle it unarmed.

You don't even know when and where the pizza ends. It's a lost world into itself, complete with an underground lake of broth (grease?) that beckons you...

...to dip your pizza into it.

I feared for the safety of the lovely, innocent brunette who waited on us. She is not working there willfully. She couldn't be. Someone must be keeping her soul in a jar.

Or was she a succubus, luring us into a false sense of security and doom with her charm?

I was totally unprepared. This isn't a pie that one could even concieve of having delivered. I wouldn't even dare to take it home. I wouldn't want the accursed, powerful thing in my home. It might eat the cats.

They wrap it in paper, as if they know that this beast of burned dough, bloody sauce, lumpen, piquant meat, maniacally chopped vegetables and oozing, sentient, alien symbiote cheese cannot be contained by anything. Keeping it in a cardboard box would be futile. It's hot, acidic juices alone would...

The horror. It's best not to think of it without holding a rosary or other such holy artifact..

I still say that Bellisario's Pizza in Baldwin is the best. Theirs is a righteous, noble pizza that is made by those stout of heart. It is Beowulf. Vincent's Pizza is a hybrid of Grendel and the Frankenstein Monster. Bellisario's would slay this creature, but it would be a narrow and costly victory.

A masterpiece of culinary evil is what it is, and we barely survived the encounter, foolhardy interlopers that we were.

I'm still downing Tums. It's inside me, threatening to get out, getting in my head, telling me to go back and have some more.

Gabe K.
Houston, TX
5/28/2009
The one and only Vincent's. Accept no substitutes.

It's not often that I throw down the coveted 5 stars for a dive pizza joint, but just to show how good it is, Vincent's is a 45 minute drive, each way, from my in-laws house, and I go there pretty much every time I'm back in the Burgh.

I grew up in New York, so I'm pretty serious about my pizza pie, but Vincent's is without a doubt the best I've ever had. I'm pretty sure it's the only destination pizza joint I have in my repertoire (aside from Lou Malnati's in Chicago, but that's not really pizza...).

I always get the same thing when I come here, the Everything, But... (pepperoni, sausage, green peppers, onion, god knows what else... everything, but anchovies). It comes with enough toppings for 5 pizzas. The hardest part is letting it sit at the table long enough to cool down to a consumable temperature. My favorite is to dip the crust in the leftover juices on the pan from all of the toppings. Be warned, it takes a bit of time to cook (this ain't Little Ceasar's), which I think adds to the experience.

Last time I was there, they had added some new beers on tap (available in pitchers), including Magic Hat, which is nice. If all else fails, nothings beats a Vincent's pie and a pitcher of Yuengling.

Nothing fancy. Just good pizza and cold, frosty beer, done right.

John G.
Oakland, CA
12/28/2008
Vinnie pie is a genre to its self. While most pizza in Pittsburgh is more or less "new york style", Vincent's pizza is anything but "thin crust" - a big, thick (but not heavy - lots of air in there) bubbling crust with an awesome char, balanced with just the right amount of toppings. Sausage is a particular stand-out topping - big pieces that would only work on Vinnie's crust with lots of great fennel flavor. Meatball sub is tasty and weighs something like 20 lb. This is the best pizza in Pittsburgh (sorry Mineo's/Aiello's), and my favorite pizza anywhere.

Joe G.
Portage, PA
11/16/2008
I may be a bit biased here because I grew up on Vinnie Pie. When we were younger, our gang would go to Vincent's for pizza and beer. They had grape leaves hanging from the ceilings. Vince had the cigarette dangling from his mouth and would be covered from head to toe with flour. You knew you were going to get a great pie when the flour was pile on top of Vince's horn rimmed glasses. Vince went missing one time for like three weeks and the rumor was that he was abducted and held hostage until he gave up his recipes. Vince told us latter it was aliens and he held out until they couldn't take him anymore.

On the way home from a Pitt football game, I took four of my buddies from Portage (between Johnstown & Altoona) to Vincent's Pizza. We ordered a large with everything and were not dissapointed. I think the pie cost like $40, which may seem high, but five burly guys could not finish it. We ended up taking two pieces home with us. That was several years ago and my buddies always bring up Vinnie Pie when people start talking about the best pizza they ever ate.

Order a large pizza with the works and it comes out roughly 18" round (or oblong) with what looks like a half pound of each topping. This pizza definetaly has to be eaten on a plate with a fork. Sure, the bottom is blackened and the toppings sorta float on top, but you will not find any real Pittsburgher complain. Mineos, smineos, this pizza is the real deal.

Pat S.
Chicago, IL
11/2/2007 2 photos
Oh man, I can't believe this place isn't on Yelp yet. There aren't enough good things to be said: this place defines Pittsburgh pizza, and remains the best I've ever had. That's after living in both Chicago and New York--I order a Vinnie pie every time I'm visiting the Burgh.

Vincent himself is a big, burly, old-school pizza-joint guy. There was usually a cigarette dangling from his lips while he tossed the dough, but that makes for character--growing up, there was always a dumb but entertaining rumor that the oven-blackened flour on the bottom of each pizza was ash from the cigarettes. They've had the same location for years, just between East Pittsburgh and Forest Hills. I think Vincent retired, but they still do things the same: enormous pizzas (if a bit expensive, but again, they're enormous) with cheese piled on top of a thick, slightly doughy (but in a good way) crust. The toppings are piled on even more thickly, especially the pepperoni (my favorite) which comes in meaty chunks instead of thin, round slices.

As soon as you get home and tear through the paper wrapper -- only the bottom half of the box here -- you're in for something awesome. Lots of people come here to eat in-house too, where the dark walls give it a cool, slightly seedy feeling similar to a pool hall. For some reason there's been a proliferation of other pizza places trying to steal some of Vincent's good name, but those places (PNC Park in particular) suck. Be sure you only go to this one. You won't regret it.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924
Default Re: Vincent's Pizza

OMG.. that's a gorgeous pizza!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojobny View Post
OMG.. that's a gorgeous pizza!!!
You should try one. I brought two home from the City of Champions last fall. The family had ne-VAHR seen or tasted such a thing. And our son works in a damn fine pizzeria. He still laughs at those pies. Interestingly his boss (the Sicilian owner) agrees - some of the best on the planet.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Vincent himself is a big, burly, old-school pizza-joint guy. There was usually a cigarette dangling from his lips while he tossed the dough, but that makes for character--growing up, there was always a dumb but entertaining rumor that the oven-blackened flour on the bottom of each pizza was ash from the cigarettes. They've had the same location for years, just between East Pittsburgh and Forest Hills. I think Vincent retired, but they still do things the same: enormous pizzas (if a bit expensive, but again, they're enormous) with cheese piled on top of a thick, slightly doughy (but in a good way) crust. The toppings are piled on even more thickly, especially the pepperoni (my favorite) which comes in meaty chunks instead of thin, round slices.

As soon as you get home and tear through the paper wrapper -- only the bottom half of the box here -- you're in for something awesome. Lots of people come here to eat in-house too, where the dark walls give it a cool, slightly seedy feeling similar to a pool hall. For some reason there's been a proliferation of other pizza places trying to steal some of Vincent's good name, but those places (PNC Park in particular) suck. Be sure you only go to this one. You won't regret it.
That place is AWESOME! I remember going there when I lived in Wilkinsburg. I remember the cigar hanging out of old Vincent's mouth. He would toss the dough in the air, punch it a couple of times, and let it land without caring if it was round. Then he'd throw handfuls of cheese on it.

One time my dad and I went to pick up a pizza in December or January. I was wearing longjohns, jeans, and a long winter coat and I could feel the heat from the pizza through all three layers. of clothing plus the paper and cardboard.

Mohan's in Plum has the best chicken wings on the planet. They use a dry rub instead of sauce.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Vincent's is awesome for sure. Easily the best pizza in town, IMO.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

what about Beto's pizza, is that place still around?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindes204 View Post
Beto's is still around - in fact, they just recently renovated their restaurant. Never had their pizza, though.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,187 Times in 3,489 Posts

Quote:
very unique and original. the cheese and topings are put on raw after the dough and sauce are cooked, kinda like a sandwich.

i like it and would recommend anyone to try.

but after seeing this picture of vincents, i am so there on my next trip. that looks like the best pizza in the world.

:sign09:
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

mmmmmmmmmm, PIZZA!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Yep - Beto's is still going strong. I'm not fond of their pizza, though, as unless you tell them to make it "well done", they just throw the mozzarella on top of the sauce and crust and it isn't melted.

I'm not big on Vincent's either, quite honestly. I don't like overly thick crust like theirs, but I do have to give them kudos on piling on the toppings.

The best pizza in and around the Burgh, imho, is Fiori's. I absolutely LOVE a good, greasy pizza!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote