Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Why?

Without flaming or asinine ______ sucks posts, I am interested in why?

Last week against the Bengals, we saw two touchdown costing errors by our 3rd and 3rd (at that time) receivers.

Limas Sweed is falling to the ground, makes the mistake of not bringing his elbows up and has the ball jarred loose. He is CRUCIFIED for it.

Mike Wallace beats his man, is hit in stride by a bomb from B.R. However, he loses his place on the field, and runs out of bounds. Yet, I think I am the only one that mentions it here.

Last year, Limas was crucified after ONE mistake. Even though he came back and laid a CRUSHING block for Heath. . . and ALSO after Willie dropped a pass or two.

This year, Wallace's staying in bounds (which is much easier to do than Sweed's catching while falling) is ignored.

Can anyone explain the difference here? And please don't say it is a pattern, because Sweed didn't have the pattern when he dropped the pass in the AFCCG.

My personal hope, is that we are looking at number 2 and number 2 of our future receiver corp with these two. So I have nothing invested in one over the other. Just wondering why one is given a complete pass and the other isn't.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,572 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Why?

Good point Preacher I was high on Sweed when we drafted him and still think he has the potential. I just don't see how we can keep him on the field when he is dropping some easy passes. He is in his second year and he has hardly improved from last year.

Wallace on the other hand is going into his fourth game for the Steelers. He has almost caught everything thrown his way he is running good routes. Yes I know he stepped out of bounds last week after that catch but at least he held on to the ball. It was a rookie mistake and I think he will learn from it. I say right know we have to go with Wallace because that is what is working for us.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Scott La Rock
Water Boy

Member Number: 7874

Make Sweed do what I had to do in High School ! Make him carry a football everywhere he goes - EVERYWHERE !Teammates without warning blasting at the ball .If hes caught without it more laps more pushups !

IMO I like Wallace !Sweed has alot of potential .Give him some time. But he has to put in some extra work ! If he dont have it in him . SEE YA !
Scott La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Easy Preach. Sweed was standing in the Endzone. Wallace wasnt. Sweed was a guaranteed TD and therefore the critical mass sees the 6 + 1 points lost.

Wallace may have got to the endzone but most of SteelerNation could not guarantee that he would of. Therefore no guaranteed 6 + 1 points.

Therefore it is easy maths -- Sweed cost us 7 where as Wallace may have earned 7 points. BIt like Willies 7 points that he may have earned on the 3 & 1 in the first.

Sweed was the only fool who screwed up in the endzone. ( Endzone envy)
Old 10-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Without flaming or asinine ______ sucks posts, I am interested in why?

Last week against the Bengals, we saw two touchdown costing errors by our 3rd and 3rd (at that time) receivers.

Limas Sweed is falling to the ground, makes the mistake of not bringing his elbows up and has the ball jarred loose. He is CRUCIFIED for it.

Mike Wallace beats his man, is hit in stride by a bomb from B.R. However, he loses his place on the field, and runs out of bounds. Yet, I think I am the only one that mentions it here.

Last year, Limas was crucified after ONE mistake. Even though he came back and laid a CRUSHING block for Heath. . . and ALSO after Willie dropped a pass or two.

This year, Wallace's staying in bounds (which is much easier to do than Sweed's catching while falling) is ignored.

Can anyone explain the difference here? And please don't say it is a pattern, because Sweed didn't have the pattern when he dropped the pass in the AFCCG.

My personal hope, is that we are looking at number 2 and number 2 of our future receiver corp with these two. So I have nothing invested in one over the other. Just wondering why one is given a complete pass and the other isn't.
As Aussie said above, Sweed was in the EZ and that dropsie cost us 6 and contributed to us coming back from Shitsinnati with an "L" in the column.

Also - as you well know around here, every week another scapegoat is crowned.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
As Aussie said above, Sweed was in the EZ and that dropsie cost us 6 and contributed to us coming back from Shitsinnati with an "L" in the column.

Also - as you well know around here, every week another scapegoat is crowned.[/QUOTE]

Sweed deserved it this week. The team marched up and down the field with ease so no one could blame Arians for the loss. This loss TRULY was attributed to the players not "EXECUTING." Hopefully EVERYONE has their $hit in order and are ready to play some damn football for the next 4 weeks. 5-2 going into the bye week, I can jump on board with that.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

As much as you might not like to hear it, it is a pattern at this point. Sweed doesn't have the rookie excuse anymore. He's in his second year, a year where he's supposed to show marked improvement over his rookie year. That means that the time for dropping passes, that are right in his bread basket, is over. Last year, IMO, the criticism had to do with at least two things. One: Sweed hadn't done anything all season long in 08, and Two: He dropped that pass in a HUGE playoff game when fans are hyper-critical about every thing that happens. He left an impression that won't be erased by anything but a lot of catches and a lot less drops.

As far as what the difference is??? I think the reason Wallace gets treated better is that in 3 career games, he's already done more than Sweed has done in 13 games. He's shown his potential very early and that gets fans on his side for sure. His mistakes haven't been all that bad, and they haven't happened in playoff games either. In fact, they've happened so early in the season that it makes it easier for any given fan to write them off as rookie mistakes.It also helps that his mistakes have to do with the more technical side of things as opposed to dropping passes. People expect rookies to run bad routes and make poor decisions. By the same token, rookie or not, people expect all WR's at this level to catch passes that are right in their hands. As long as Wallace holds onto passes, people will continue to be more forgiving of his mistakes.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Wallace caught the ball ... it's the essential skill he is compensated for.

Sweed doesn't catch the ball.

Sweed has 2 fumbles among his 7 NFL receptions too.

It's pathetic at this point in time!

Cut Sweed loose after this season and pick up another guy. Let some other team deal with his hands problems ... and his salary.

We've got a great corp of WR's to finish out this year ... Ward, Holmes, Wallace and McDonald.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

It's not just about 2 drops with Sweed and it's just not about "one" mistake. Sweed has been dropping balls since his rookie preseason. It's been talked about since he arrived in Pittsburgh by multiple sources....game commentors, beat writers, and fans alike. He had the same problem at UT. It's a known issue with him.

Sweed's drop in the AFC Champ Game, not only was a big drop, he faked an injury, which cost the team a timeout. As far as last weekend, Sweed was wide open in the end zone. All he had to do was catch the ball and he didn't.

If Sweed just had "one" mistake last season, with his ability, he plays more last season and it's harder for Wallace to take the #3 slot from him.

As far as Wallace, he was thrown to multiple times in the Bengals game and came through. He has seized the #3 slot from Sweed because he has been catching everything since preseason began.

To me, it's not even a close comparison.

That being said, I hope they don't cut Sweed.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
arge5809
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13245

Maybe Sweed's wrist injury from college is not 100% and he physically can't hold onto the ball.

Just a thought.

arge5809 is offline   Reply With Quote