Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Post-San Diego thoughts

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Post-San Diego thoughts

There's no truth to the rumor that San Diego was founded by the Germans. If it had been, the Chargers would have been much better prepared to handle the Steelers' blitzkreig rushing attack Sunday night.

Yes, that was the Steelers rushing for 177 yards on 36 carries in this game, bolstered by former whipping boy Rashard Mendenhall's 165 yards on 29 carries.

That said, San Diego's defense isn't a good one. But looking down Pittsburgh's schedule there aren't a lot of stout defenses remaining.

Baltimore twice. Check. Minnesota. Check.

Outside of those two teams, the rest of the schedule looks like the college football equivalent of Temple.

Who made this schedule, Joe Paterno?

Perhaps the best thing we saw out of the Steelers Sunday night was that they continued trying to score in the fourth quarter.

Turned out to be a good thing, too, as San Diego got a gift touchdown from referee Jeff Triplette's crew on a "fumble" by Stefan Logan that was returned for a score.

Even after the play, the officials seemed to be looking at each other as if to say, "I thought it was your turn to blow the whistle."

Logan's forward progress was clearly stopped - he had six Chargers hanging on his 185-pound body – and had been for several seconds before the ball came loose.

I loved Mike Tomlin's decision to go for it on fourth-and-inches from his own 30 with a 14-0 lead in the second quarter.

It was if he was thumbing his nose at Norv Turner and the San Diego defense because he knew there was no way the Jamal Williams-less Chargers were going to stop the Steelers from running.

Faced with a fourth-and-two from his own 40 minutes later, Turner punted.

I'm not sure why reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison was 30 yards downfield with less than five minutes remaining in the game to pick up perhaps the most obvious pass interference penalty in NFL history.

I'm pretty sure, judging from the way Harrison smacked would-be receiver Antonio Gates to the ground, that Harrison didn't know why he was put in that situation either.

I hate to question the great Dick LeBeau about such things, but given Harrison's sack-strip on San Diego's final offensive play – something he does with some regularity – it really stood out.

Rashard Mendenhall will find Steelers fans very forgiving of past transgressions if he is able to continue pounding out 5.7 yards per carry as he did Sunday night.

The same will go for Limas Sweed when he gets back on the field – which will come at some point – when/if he starts holding onto those deep passes.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:05 AM 11 comments Links to this post
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Post-San Diego thoughts

I, for one, was for moving Harrison around on defense as I think teams have found a way to stop his bullrush. Moving him inside led to a sack in the 3rd quarter was a good move. Moving him into the secondary was not!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I certainly agree with the question as to why Silverback was attempting to cover Gates . . . isnt that why we have Timmons, he was supposed to be excellent at covering. I have some game film for Timmons on how to cover Gates . . . watch the Steelers/Chargers game from 2 years ago. The first half, everytime Gates touched the ball, Troy absolutely destroyed him. The second half, he VERY OBVIOUSLY avoided Troy to the point he was cutting is patterns short. Timmons, it is ok if they catch a few at the beginning if you lay the hammer on them, they wont try over the middle anymore!
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Peazy had to do this too...it's part of the Steelers 3-4 game. You want better disguised blitzes, sometimes they need to come at the expense of moving players around. Hell, even Big Snack has to drop into coverage on occasion.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
nickelbolt
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11382

Congrats again, Steelers.

It's clear now that this Chargers defense is by far the worst that we've ever put on the field. It's also clear that the Steelers offense is far better than previously thought.

Good luck this season. With a lot of hope, prayer, and Philip Rivers... we MIGHT actually make the playoffs and get a chance to let our defense get their a.sses kicked again.
nickelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Bolts were EXACTLY what I said they were. Bad defensively, and extremely one-dimensional offensively, and instead of beating them by 2 TD's, we SHOULD have beat them by 4 TD's.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Its a good thing we put up alot of points early(which is rare for the Steelers).We would have lost another one in the 4th!COME ON TROY!WE NEED YOU HEALTHY!!!With Troy back there,Gates would not have had a big game...
SoCalFan is offline   Reply With Quote