Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,175 Times in 2,657 Posts
Default daytona 500: pick the winner/ analysis

dominance at daytona seems to happen in waves and right now team hendrick is riding that wave. pariety doesnt really exist at this track and it is easy to dominate by teams such as hendrick, gibbs, dei, and childress. thats why its not going too far out on a limb to say, stewart, gordon, or jr. are favorites to win the race. not to mention earnhart sr.'s old team getting a pole or winning atleast once during speedweeks. i see this weeks 500 being played out much like last years. chevys will dominate. stewart has looked good in the twin race, the shootout, iroc (where he was involved in a late accident) and he won the busch race today. unfortunately for him he doesnt have a powertrain of team support like jeff gordon. while stewart may find his way to the front and stay there with superb teamwork he can be passed late in the game. dei is like joe gibbs racing. the youth in the team could hurt when competing against the hendrick cars. jr. has already said in practice that his and truex's cars dont work well together. its no wonder him and stewart have forged an alliance on the track at these restrictor plate tracks. team yates always has the horsepower to compete well at the 500 and no ford driver has had the success that dale jarrett has had. team mate e. sadler seems to be a semi favorite every year at restrictor plates but usually either fades late or is stricken with bad luck. with rousch there is power in numbers although i think going from k. busch to j. mcmurray is a down grade. biffle won his 1st race at this track so i will be watching him. i expect atleast 1 penske car to finish in the top 5 if its a spread out green flag race or 1-10 in a late race shoot out. i would not be suprised at all to see penske score his 1st restrictor plate win with k. bush.

my top 5 most likely to win the race: ( no stretch here)

1. j. gordon
2. t. stewart
3. earnhardt jr.
4. g. biffle
5. c. edwards

darkhorses: j. burton, r. newman, e. saddler, m. truex ( k. schrader as an extreme)

good stories im watching: b. labonte driving r. pettys #43. t. labonte heading up aikman/staubachs team. sterling marlin with his new team.

bold prediction of the race: there will be alot of rookies and youngsters in this race. kyle bush has came pretty close to causing a major wreck every time he has been on the track with other cars this speedweeks. i look for him to cause or be right in the middle of a significant accident tomorrow.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: daytona 500: pick the winner/ analysis

JUNIOR #8 , I hope!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Sadler and Jarrett should both be considered favorites as well...I don't espouse your "Chevy only" theory. The teams that have money can spend as mch as they want to catch up their restrictor plate program, just like Hendrick did to DEI. Yates is there...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Sadler and Jarrett should both be considered favorites as well...I don't espouse your "Chevy only" theory. The teams that have money can spend as mch as they want to catch up their restrictor plate program, just like Hendrick did to DEI. Yates is there...
i addressed them in my analysis. sadler, while is not THE favorite every year, is a semi favorite every year. yates has always had the horsepower and no ford driver has done better than jarrett at the track. they alwayds do well in the speedweeks leading up to the 500. recent history shows that gives them no advantage over the hendrick, dei, and stewart teams though. them and roush have the same engine program. the only reason i give a roush driver a slight edge over a yates driver is recent history and the power in numbers. 5 teammates together can be deadly on this track especially if they work together. looking at last years stats and recent performance i will be looking at either c. edwards or g. biffle to pull a shocking and rare ford win. not to say jarrett or saddler arent capable. im just looking at the odds. anything can happen at the daytona 500, such as d. cope beating d. earnhardt

Last edited by tony hipchest; 02-18-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Does anyone else find the Fusion to be repulsive?? The grill decal looks stupid, if they are gonna keep it they should at least paint the grill silver and make it blend in a little
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
daleemnm
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 166

Jr or Stewart battling it out once again.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
tony hipchest

post race analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
dominance at daytona seems to happen in waves and right now team hendrick is riding that wave. pariety doesnt really exist at this track and it is easy to dominate by teams such as hendrick, gibbs, dei, and childress. thats why its not going too far out on a limb to say, stewart, gordon, or jr. are favorites to win the race.

the first sentence sums it up. in a race where tony stewart cried the loudest about wreckless driving and somebody getting killed, we saw him be the first to be penalized by the more strict wreclkess driving rules that nascar promised to enforce. ironic? in fact we saw 3 former champions drive like the rookies and young guns stewart seemed so concerned with. gordon, kenseth, and stewart all took themselves and eachother out of contention with impatience and over aggressiveness.

penske has vowed to throw all the money at having a championship calibur team and a winning restrictor plate program and both bush and newman upheld their end of the bargain as both were up front for the better part of the day. they proved that when out front and working as a team they are a difficult tandem to pass.

dalr jr. proved to struggle without a dancing partner as rookie team mate was damaged in an early brush with the wall.

after fading early and remaining inconspicuous for much of the race e. saddler was able to make a late charge to the front with no appearant drafting partner or team mate to help. an impressive run on his part. the yates hp was there like always and the team seems happy with its new crewcheif. i say saddler has officially supplanted d. jarrett as the teams best shot at making the chase. jarretts best days are behind him

while kyle bush didnt cause the big one he was around several near misses and proved to be guilty of the type of driving he was accused of during speed weeks. according to post race comments he hates daytona.

it is good to see schrader out of the BAM #49 car and driving for the wood bros. this was a good move for both parties and atleast for 1 race it paid huge divedends.

as for h.o.f. racing, t. labonte kept his nose pretty clean. at this point the best aikman and staubach hope for is for terry to keep running in the top 35 for when t. raines takes over the ride after 4 more races. anything better than d. marinos venture as a nascar owner should be considered as a success.