Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388
Default Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

WisconsinSteelerMan officially out of lurk mode....

WOW... I was watching the game last night, and about fell out of my chair when I saw it! Pittsburgh actually brought out the I-formation last night!! How many times over the first three games of this season did we see Willie line up in the backfield alone and then run the ball into a pile of linemen? Willie had no "front man" to help open holes for him...

Last night, with Mendy in there, we lined up several times with the old "I formation" and wouldn't you know it... we busted holes open for Mendy. We broadcast to the Chargers that we were going to run it, and by God, we did it! Dared them to come after us, we did. They came, but we busted holes open. Add to the fact that Kemoatu was an absolute BEAST out there and Rashard knew who to follow.... Kemo!

Then once the run started working, the defense actually believed Ben's fake on the run and bit on it... Opened up the pass just nicely.

I for one REALLY want to see more of the I formation in future weeks. I think it is just the key for us to keep our game plan running...

Mike (I formation forever) in La Crosse, WI

P.S. - Missed you guys!!
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Who knew that running the ball out of a formation suited to the run, and with a back who attacks the line of scrimmage ... would work better than running the ball out of a finesse formation with an inconsistent back who dances around behind the line? Fascinating stuff!

It's times like this that I wonder why it took them three and a half looooong years to figure this out.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

They've run it a fair amount actually. Typically the opposing D knows it's a run and they stuff it pretty well.

It really works when the OL is blowing the other team out of the water so the lead blocker can go through the hole to block instead of getting stacked up which has been the typical result.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
SuperSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSteelerMan View Post
WisconsinSteelerMan officially out of lurk mode....

WOW... I was watching the game last night, and about fell out of my chair when I saw it! Pittsburgh actually brought out the I-formation last night!! How many times over the first three games of this season did we see Willie line up in the backfield alone and then run the ball into a pile of linemen? Willie had no "front man" to help open holes for him...

Last night, with Mendy in there, we lined up several times with the old "I formation" and wouldn't you know it... we busted holes open for Mendy. We broadcast to the Chargers that we were going to run it, and by God, we did it! Dared them to come after us, we did. They came, but we busted holes open. Add to the fact that Kemoatu was an absolute BEAST out there and Rashard knew who to follow.... Kemo!

Then once the run started working, the defense actually believed Ben's fake on the run and bit on it... Opened up the pass just nicely.

I for one REALLY want to see more of the I formation in future weeks. I think it is just the key for us to keep our game plan running...

Mike (I formation forever) in La Crosse, WI

P.S. - Missed you guys!!
I thought the same exact thing.. even told my wife, "They're in the "I" formation!! In a couple runs last night (and about 4 beers), he looked like Jerome!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'm SURE that Arians, being the idiot he is, had NO idea what the I-formation even was until he read about it here...

Seriously, SD is susceptible, so we took advantage. The gameplan will be different next week...
Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Seems like Rashard can block a little. It would be great if we can find a fullback that can also run and block so that we can line up in split backs.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I liked seeing Legursky in the back field. We need to try that a few more times on the goal line stances.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

The I formation, a half-back option, a huge 16-wheeler in the backfield - I could have sworn I was watching a Whiz offence!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
They've run it a fair amount actually. Typically the opposing D knows it's a run and they stuff it pretty well.

It really works when the OL is blowing the other team out of the water so the lead blocker can go through the hole to block instead of getting stacked up which has been the typical result.
Thank you.

I would venture we ran the same amount of I formation plays yesterday that we did the last three weeks.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishSteel View Post
The I formation, a half-back option, a huge 16-wheeler in the backfield - I could have sworn I was watching a Whiz offence!
You know, Mendy is only 15 pounds heavier than Willie. I don't think that makes him a HUGE 16 wheeler.

Now, Jerome Bettis was about 250... 25 pounds over what Mendy is now. THAT is a huge difference!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote