Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
You're probably right but what I've DEFINITELY seen this season over last season is: The Steelers are using the I-Formation far more often when the down and distances SCREAM for it. For instance, 3rd down and 1, we're seeing the I-Formation this season when last season we probably would have seen a 4 WR package with the end result being either a sack or incomplete pass. The use of the I-Formation speaks volumes when you consider that Arians playbook used to contain like what, 1 or 2 I-Formation plays that were RARELY used? Many members of this site have called for the use of the I-Formation for as long as I've been a member here. It looks as if Tomlin had the same thought.
I agree with you, right up to the 4 wide. I agree we are seeing a lot more I formation compared to LAST year. However, last year, we would line up with 1 back, broadcast a run, then wonder why we didn't get the run.

Had they thrown it last year, we would have gotten more first downs.

This year, we are doing both, lining up in the I more, AND going four wide and throwing it on 3rd down. I love BOTH choices. Think about it for a second. If a team brings in their run package, we can go four wide... with both our TE's. If they come out with a nickel or dime package, we can line up in the I formation. I think that was the hope with Tank... letting him go out to TE in osme of those situations.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #22
steelwalls
Starter
 
steelwalls's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 409
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Who was that lineman they put in on that one run from the 'I' at full back? On that play it worked well, but I cant remember who it was....
__________________
Da' Burg Zombie capitol of the world... All Zombie Attacks http://www.azattacks.com
steelwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwalls View Post
Who was that lineman they put in on that one run from the 'I' at full back? On that play it worked well, but I cant remember who it was....
LEGURSKY!!


Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #24
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 772
Member Number: 10560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I agree with you, right up to the 4 wide. I agree we are seeing a lot more I formation compared to LAST year. However, last year, we would line up with 1 back, broadcast a run, then wonder why we didn't get the run.

Had they thrown it last year, we would have gotten more first downs.

This year, we are doing both, lining up in the I more, AND going four wide and throwing it on 3rd down. I love BOTH choices. Think about it for a second. If a team brings in their run package, we can go four wide... with both our TE's. If they come out with a nickel or dime package, we can line up in the I formation. I think that was the hope with Tank... letting him go out to TE in osme of those situations.
Whatever the case may be, I think that we're finding a little less bitching about the offense as a whole. The play calling is much better this season from a "situational standpoint", the O-Line play is far superior to the offensive line play of the previous 2 seasons, and Roethlisberger is playing like, yeah I'll say it, "THE BEST QB IN THE LEAGUE." It was during the 2nd quarter versus the Chargers that I asked myself, "Who is better than Ben Roethlisberger?" I mean really, who else possesses all of his intangibles? In my opinion, he's clearly the best in the league.

As one who often complained about the offensive system last season, I must say that there's really not much to complain about this year. I believe that this offense will be amongst the tops in the league at seasons end, possibly top 5, they truly looked that good Sunday night.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #25
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Roethlisberger is playing like, yeah I'll say it, "THE BEST QB IN THE LEAGUE." It was during the 2nd quarter versus the Chargers that I asked myself, "Who is better than Ben Roethlisberger?" I mean really, who else possesses all of his intangibles? In my opinion, he's clearly the best in the league.
.
We all agree here. Dont get caught listening to the commentators though. Was it Collingsworth or MIchaels who said in the coverage that Ben had now solidified his spot as the number 4 QB in the NFL

1. Brady
2. P. Manning
3. Brees
4. BIg Ben

I heard some dissent on ESPN's Pardon the Interuption tonight. Mike Wilbon openly said that the NFL has two sets of rules for QB's. One for Marquee QB's like Brady and Manning ( you know the one where they cant be touched - EVER) and the other rule where QB's could be smashed. ( we all know that Big Ben falls into that one). He applauded Rodney Harrison for his " take the skirt off Tom" comment

I go as far as to say that Big Ben is the #1 QB in the NFL for real men, the one where QB's are allowed to be hit. Dont care much for the other two who are on the protected species list.
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Whatever the case may be, I think that we're finding a little less bitching about the offense as a whole. The play calling is much better this season from a "situational standpoint", the O-Line play is far superior to the offensive line play of the previous 2 seasons, and Roethlisberger is playing like, yeah I'll say it, "THE BEST QB IN THE LEAGUE." It was during the 2nd quarter versus the Chargers that I asked myself, "Who is better than Ben Roethlisberger?" I mean really, who else possesses all of his intangibles? In my opinion, he's clearly the best in the league.

As one who often complained about the offensive system last season, I must say that there's really not much to complain about this year. I believe that this offense will be amongst the tops in the league at seasons end, possibly top 5, they truly looked that good Sunday night.
It was pretty dang good. . . the previous three games showed hints of it. When that line gelled... well, we saw just how good an offense it really is. Now we just gotta make sure it stays that way.

If we can just get that defense back on track in the fourth quarter... this team will be nightmare for anyone come Dec. and Jan.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #27
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 772
Member Number: 10560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
It was pretty dang good. . . the previous three games showed hints of it. When that line gelled... well, we saw just how good an offense it really is. Now we just gotta make sure it stays that way.

If we can just get that defense back on track in the fourth quarter... this team will be nightmare for anyone come Dec. and Jan.
Yes they did march up and down the field versus Cincinnati, I'm still clueless as to how they lost that game. I guess the numbers, 8 straight wins @ Cincy played a part in it. They were bound to lose one there sooner or later.

Versus Chicago the offense was decent, very good if you factor in the weather and field conditions.

We all KNOW that the defense will be back on track. I mean hell, they didn't give up much against the Chargers, what was it, 252 yards of total offense? That's not a bad performance. We're all seeing just how IMPORTANT Troy Polamalu is to this defense. When he returns, things will be back to normal.

5-2 going into the bye. No doubt in my mind.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #28
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Yes they did march up and down the field versus Cincinnati, I'm still clueless as to how they lost that game. I guess the numbers, 8 straight wins @ Cincy played a part in it. They were bound to lose one there sooner or later.

Versus Chicago the offense was decent, very good if you factor in the weather and field conditions.

We all KNOW that the defense will be back on track. I mean hell, they didn't give up much against the Chargers, what was it, 252 yards of total offense? That's not a bad performance. We're all seeing just how IMPORTANT Troy Polamalu is to this defense. When he returns, things will be back to normal.

5-2 going into the bye. No doubt in my mind.
Don't forget, the Bungles play the Ratbirds this week. So we will be virtually tied with one and 1 game out with the other, with three to play against them. We are RIGHT in the thick of things. I LOVE IT.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #29
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 772
Member Number: 10560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Don't forget, the Bungles play the Ratbirds this week. So we will be virtually tied with one and 1 game out with the other, with three to play against them. We are RIGHT in the thick of things. I LOVE IT.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

Yes Sir,

And once again, you chose the perfect game to attend. I would love to be there to see us kick the Bengals stinking butts.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #30
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Imagine that... the I-formation!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
Yes Sir,

And once again, you chose the perfect game to attend. I would love to be there to see us kick the Bengals stinking butts.

I am looking foward to it!

I am 1-1 in games. . . was there for the great MNF butt-whooping of the Ravens, then was there when we lost to Peyton Manning and the Colts. Worse yet, I had a Colts fan sitting right behind me yelling... even worse, she was a cute 20 something blonde haired chick who had a syrupy sweet southern accent. . . . She and her dad even worked with missionaries . . . So, as the loving pastor I am... I STILL threatened to put concrete boots on her and throw her into the river outside of Heinz!

I already have a wife... That syrupy junk aint working for me anymore... ESPECIALLY from a Colts fan AT THE STADIUM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts