Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528
Default Steelers: Redman Promoted To Active Roster After RB Injuries Strike Again

I don't know if it has been posted earlier, if so, please delete it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-active-roster

Steelers: Redman Promoted To Active Roster After RB Injuries Strike Again by Tim SteelersFan
Tim SteelersFanScribe
13 articles written
1313 comments written
30 fans
View Profile
Send a Message

Scribe Written on October 04, 2009
(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images) Shades of 2008 have reared their head again. RB injuries have begun to set in with the Steelers. The oft-injured Willie Parker has turf toe and is expected not to play against the Chargers. As a result, the Steelers have promoted Isaac Redman to the active roster and released DE Nick Eason. Eason had not dressed for a game this season.

Last season was one of the most challenging seasons at RB for the Steelers in memory. The team finished 23rd in the league in rushing. Parker only started 11 games due to injuries.

Rashard Mendenhall missed the last 12.5 games of the season. In four games, the Steelers were forced to start Mewelde Moore (the team's third down RB) due to being so thin at the RB position. Najeh Davenport, who'd been released prior to the 2008 season, was resigned on an emergency basis and played in four games for the Steelers.

In contrast, 2009 has presented its own challenges at RB.

The team is currently ranked 27th in the league with 243 rushing yards after three games and a mere 3.3 yards per carry. Parker has looked slower and is now, like so often in the past, injured.

Mendenhall, despite a single nice run this season, is inching ever closer to the infamous "BUST" label after having been drafted in the first round by the Steelers in 2008. Mendenhall has rushed for 103 yards...in his career. Last week against Cincinnati, he suffered a benching at the hands of Tomlin for allegedly not passing a test required to play in games.

Mewelde Moore, who ran with such surprising grit last season, has eight rushes for 27 yards.

Frank Summers, drafted to be the team's short yardage back and combination HB/FB, has been put on the IR with a mysterious back injury.

Enter Isaac Redman.

An undrafted free agent from Bowie State that a large portion of Steelers Nation has been crying to see in a hat on Sundays.

During the preseason, Isaac Redman led the Steelers in rushing. He also led the Steelers in attempts. He showed a tremendous nose for the end zone, something we've not seen from our starters for some time. He was able to shed tacklers, beat off first and second contact, and stay upright. His grit and determination energized the fan base.

Unfortunately, Stefan Logan took the fifth RB roster spot, leaving no room for Redman on the roster.

Working against Redman were and are three critical things. Redman has not developed NFL-quality blocking skills or the ability to play on special teams. He's also slow, having been clocked at 4.76 in the 40. Summers ran a 4.63, and Heath Miller a 4.79.

Speed is not what the team needs, however, at this point. If Mendenhall and Moore can carry the load, we just may see Redman get a touch or two in short yardage situations, where hopefully that power and determination will shine through.

And if so, perhaps, just perhaps, Redman will become this year's Gary Russell.
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Default Re: Steelers : Steelers: Redman Promoted To Active Roster After RB Injuries Strike Ag

Redman was released and Eason was re-signed today.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Steelers: Redman Promoted To Active Roster After RB Injuries Strike Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
http://www.steelers.com/article/111511/

Well, that sucks. I hope Redzone gets re-resigned before somebody else snaps him up.
He's going back to the PS.

That is probably a good sign, because it means that Willie is going to probably play next week as well.

Now let's just hope our offense runs a more BALANCED offense with the both of em.

Thunder and lightnng just may be back in Pittsburgh... especially if we are opening up holes like that.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Steelers: Redman Promoted To Active Roster After RB Injuries Strike Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
He's going back to the PS.

That is probably a good sign, because it means that Willie is going to probably play next week as well.
Wait ... since when is THAT a good sign?

Quote:
Now let's just hope our offense runs a more BALANCED offense with the both of em.

Thunder and lightnng just may be back in Pittsburgh... especially if we are opening up holes like that.
I'll believe it when I see it. More like, if Parker is able to walk, it'll be back to the Parker-only offense.

Oh well. At least we're playing shitty teams the next two weeks. Hopefully that'll be enough time to develop turf toe into one of those nagging injuries that keeps him out against the good teams, so the real running backs can play.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. More like, if Parker is able to walk, it'll be back to the Parker-only offense.

Oh well. At least we're playing shitty teams the next two weeks. Hopefully that'll be enough time to develop turf toe into one of those nagging injuries that keeps him out against the good teams, so the real running backs can play.
You know... you always post this stuff. THen I always say, "it seems like your real issue isn't Willie, but how the coaches play the RB's" to which you normally say, "Yeah, you're right".

So why don't we just shorthand the whole discussion to the final post between us...

------It sure will be nice if we see Mendy and Willie splitting carries in a 1-2 attack with power and speed-----
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
You know... you always post this stuff. THen I always say, "it seems like your real issue isn't Willie, but how the coaches play the RB's" to which you normally say, "Yeah, you're right".

So why don't we just shorthand the whole discussion to the final post between us...

------It sure will be nice if we see Mendy and Willie splitting carries in a 1-2 attack with power and speed-----
That's probably the way it would've gone before watching the first quarter of this season. But unless last night was a fluke, now I'm more of the mind that we may have found a legitimate all-purpose back, and Parker is suffering a decline. In that case, he's got limited use and probably shouldn't be taking more than a third of the snaps at best, unless we find a way to get them both on the field at once.

Before, a big issue was, "OK, smart guy, if you say we should bench Parker, who's going to take his place?" There was never anyone competing with him who could be more than a complementary back themselves. Now there is, and it turns the tables pretty hard.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Rek
Starter

Member Number: 10681

Quote:

You're telling me FWP couldn't have put up 160+ against the Chargers, even with those gaping holes set up by the O-Line?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek View Post
You're telling me FWP couldn't have put up 160+ against the Chargers, even with those gaping holes set up by the O-Line?
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. Parker would've had a decent game, maybe even 100 yards, but not 160+. Probably 40-50 of Mendenhall's yards were yards that Parker wouldn't have gotten because he was too busy dancing around instead of attacking forward. I've also seen Parker turn 15+ yard runs into 5-yard runs this year by dancing around in place trying to fake out a DB after he gets through the hole, only to be tackled right there -- instead of continuing forward and meeting the defender on the other side of the first-down marker.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
BlueSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 10689

Quote:
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. Parker would've had a decent game, maybe even 100 yards, but not 160+. Probably 40-50 of Mendenhall's yards were yards that Parker wouldn't have gotten because he was too busy dancing around instead of attacking forward. I've also seen Parker turn 15+ yard runs into 5-yard runs this year by dancing around in place trying to fake out a DB after he gets through the hole, only to be tackled right there -- instead of continuing forward and meeting the defender on the other side of the first-down marker.
I gotta agree there. FWP has been "Dancing with the Stars" this season. He needs to hit the hole and continue downfield more.
BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

I've always said that Willie isnt the same since his injury in 2007 but you have to be honnest even Willie would have had 125 + yds yesterday.

But even though I want to see Mendenhall being our workhorse I would like us to see Willie re-sign at the end of the season because if use properly he could be the best option to Mendy in a 1-2 punch attack.
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote