Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

2 wins and 2 losses. No way around that. As of right now we are a .500 team. No excuses, no what-ifs.

The immediate future looks good with the next two games being Detroit and Cleveland, so unless Ben takes up Motorbike Demolition Derby again, we should go into the Minnesota game 4-2.

I firmly believe that stats can be decieving so take the following stats for what they are worth. I think on a basic level there is alot to be happy about, and I think it is obvious there are some areas that need to addressed.

OFFENSE

#6 Ranked Total Offense: This is made up of the #3 ranked passing offense and the#16 ranked run offense.

What this means: Being in the top team in overall offense is good news considering the problems we have had with the running game. I think there is reason to believe that we actually will be ranked higher in the near future based on the play of the O-line and the emergence of M-hall at the RB position. Even if Willie gets his starting position back, which is probable, I think he will have some rear-mirror motivation from here on out.

DEFENSE

#5 Ranked Total defense: Made up of the #3 ranked run defense and #15 ranked pass defense.

What this means: Hard to believe that we are #5 with the way our defense has played in the 4th quarter, but make no mistake about it, the return of Polamalu is going to patch up a pass defense that has been scrambling to replace a player that teams have to plan against. His return will not only raise the ranking on our pass defense but will have a positive effect on the run defense. Any team that thinks they will be able to air it out in the 4th is going to be surprised when our secondary can get back to playing in the postitions and way they are used to.


Special Teams:

#7 net average in punts: our punt team is much better than this stat shows. Our ranking is lowered by the fact that Sepulveda doesnt have to punt the length of the field on a regular basis. He is ranked #8 in pinning opponants inside the 20. Our punt defense is ranked #8 also, and a lot of that can be accredited to Sepulveda's leg.

#14 in kickoff average: This may be higher except that our kickoff defense is ranked #24, which is unacceptable. Nothing wrong with Reeds leg on kickoffs, but plenty that can be criticized in our coverage.

#21 in punt returns and #14 in kickoff returns: Not numbers to get excited about at all, but every true Steeler fan is happy that we are not muffing returns every game. I give Logan a pass on losing a ball last game, that play falls on the back of the officiating crew who should have blown the play dead long before the ball was stripped. Like many, I have a feeling with every return that Logan is ready to take one to the house.

#28 in field goal %: If you are going to turn down a contract to be the Steelers field goal kicker, you had better be prepared to show us that you are worth MORE money. Reed is doing the opposite this year. He has won plenty of games for us and I give him a little bit of a benefit of a doubt, but he is working himself towards a day where he hears "With their 5th round pick in the 2010 draft, the Steelers choose Aaron Pettrey, Kicker out of Ohio State."

Take these stats for what they are worth, but all in all I think we have a lot to be optimistic about.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 10-06-2009 at 11:43 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter
 
TackleMeBen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Posts: 4,854
Gender: Female
Member Number: 4435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Quote:
The immediate future looks good with the next two games being Detroit and Cleveland, so unless Ben takes up Motorbike Demolition Derby again, we should go into the Minnesota game 4-2.
LLt, don't give him any ideas now...

i think we can beat Minn.
__________________

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Make no mistake about it...A team ranked #5 in defense and #6 in offense is showing Superbowl potential.

Gotta shore up the holes, Get Troy back (after the Detroit game, in my opinion)..and get our swagger back.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
SteelGhost
Starter
 
SteelGhost's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 423
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13528
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Nice read LLT ! I think Troy's presence against the Vikes will make Favre not so comfortable to throw his short passes, I hope Troy has a pick six and Silverback/Woodley a couple of sacks. Yes, Minny is beatable putting pressure on BF.

My .02
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGhost View Post
Nice read LLT ! I think Troy's presence against the Vikes will make Favre not so comfortable to throw his short passes, I hope Troy has a pick six and Silverback/Woodley a couple of sacks. Yes, Minny is beatable putting pressure on BF.

My .02
Agreed, Troy in the lineup changes everyone's responsibilities and we can get back to playing Steelers "D".
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

I don't expect TOO much of a leap in the run offense, maybe a few more spots...I'd like to see, and think they are capable, of a top 10 standing. I think the passing offense hovers at 3-5 all year, and if we can pull up those running stats, we'll stay a top 5 offense.

The pass defense will improve, and the run defense will probably move into the #2-3 positions when things level out. Expect a top 5 defense no matter what. That WILL improve.

I also think we'll see some ST improvement, DEFINITELY in the FG made category.

If we have a top 5 offense and defense, we will be a very dangerous team down the stretch.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$
 
steelreserve's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: www.meatspin.com
Posts: 4,599
Member Number: 1976
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
[B]OFFENSE

#6 Ranked Total Offense: This is made up of the #3 ranked passing offense and the#16 ranked run offense.

What this means: Being in the top team in overall offense is good news considering the problems we have had with the running game. I think there is reason to believe that we actually will be ranked higher in the near future based on the play of the O-line and the emergence of M-hall at the RB position. Even if Willie gets his starting position back, which is probable, I think he will have some rear-mirror motivation from here on out.
One thing that tells the story for me ... we're the #6 ranked offense, but #15 in scoring. We've been plagued by a combination of bad breaks and making mistakes at the worst possible times -- but with even average luck, the offense as a whole is more like what we saw in Week 4 than what we saw in Weeks 1-2. Odds are we'll get better at putting points on the board and stay better.

The offensive line has made a huge improvement this season. Part of it seems to be Kemo gaining experience, and I wonder if another big part isn't Essex taking over for Stapleton. He's had his iffy moments here and there, but it seems like we get a lot better push running the ball and open more holes -- with Stapleton in there, that side got murdered in the running game.

Parker ... god, I hope Parker doesn't get the starting job back. That's the one thing that could put our offense back in that crappy on-again, off-again mode where we look like we can march right down the field one time, then have a couple completely incompetent three-and-outs, and drive 30 yards and suddenly stop the rest of the time. For some reason, people don't see this taking place, but that's what happens when you have an inconsistent running game. That's squarely on Parker, and now that we've seen what happens when you don't have that problem, I see no reason to go back to that shit.
__________________
"An empty victory is a victory nonetheless."
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
SteelGhost
Starter
 
SteelGhost's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 423
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13528
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
One thing that tells the story for me ... we're the #6 ranked offense, but #15 in scoring. We've been plagued by a combination of bad breaks and making mistakes at the worst possible times -- but with even average luck, the offense as a whole is more like what we saw in Week 4 than what we saw in Weeks 1-2. Odds are we'll get better at putting points on the board and stay better.

The offensive line has made a huge improvement this season. Part of it seems to be Kemo gaining experience, and I wonder if another big part isn't Essex taking over for Stapleton. He's had his iffy moments here and there, but it seems like we get a lot better push running the ball and open more holes -- with Stapleton in there, that side got murdered in the running game.

Parker ... god, I hope Parker doesn't get the starting job back. That's the one thing that could put our offense back in that crappy on-again, off-again mode where we look like we can march right down the field one time, then have a couple completely incompetent three-and-outs, and drive 30 yards and suddenly stop the rest of the time. For some reason, people don't see this taking place, but that's what happens when you have an inconsistent running game. That's squarely on Parker, and now that we've seen what happens when you don't have that problem, I see no reason to go back to that shit.
I agree, IMHO Essex is an upgrade over Stapleton. And for Parker, don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything he has done for the team, but I think his days in B&G are numbered, even my wife told me once.. "Why this guy dances instead of attacking the hole ? "
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
SteelC7
Bench Warmer
 
SteelC7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 379
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

i just wanna see troy back this week, maybe next week...but the problem is, wen the steelers play a team that sucks, we play down to their level, i hope we dont do that again and lose to th lions, NO WAY!!!!
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
slippy
Bench Warmer
 
slippy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY: via Indiana, PA
Posts: 298
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5848
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

ummm.....we last played the raiders in 2006.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts