Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Rookie Surprise - Mike Wallace

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...r-mike-wallace

Rookie surprise: Steelers WR Mike Wallace

PITTSBURGH -- Mike Wallace had no idea the Steelers would be calling his name.

The rookie receiver spent so much time with the Chicago Bears and Tennessee Titans leading up to April’s NFL draft that, in Wallace’s mind, he was prepared to pack his bags for one of those two cities. Both teams were in desperate need of receivers and liked Wallace’s potential.

Pittsburgh wide receiver Mike Wallace was surprised he was drafted by the team, but is glad to work with veterans Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

But after the first day of the draft passed and no one called, the Mississippi product was shocked when the defending champions selected him in the third round, No. 84 overall.

Steelers receivers coach Randy Fichtner met with Wallace on two brief occasions last spring: Once during Wallace’s pro day and at another meeting during the combine. According to Wallace, there was never a strong indication Pittsburgh would draft him.

"It wasn’t even on my mind to come to the Steelers," Wallace said. "But I feel like everything happens for a reason. I was excited because it was a good team -- the Super Bowl champs -- and they got two great guys to learn from in Santonio [Holmes] and Hines [Ward]. So I'm just trying to make sure I get in and fit in with those guys."

A month into the season, Wallace has been the biggest second-day draft surprise in the AFC North. He is playing behind Ward and Holmes as the team’s No. 3 receiver and ranks third with the Steelers in receiving yards (194) and fourth in receptions (14).

Wallace, who also might be the fastest player on the team, made his longest catch of the season when he recently zipped past the Cincinnati Bengals' secondary for 51 yards. The play was part of his seven-catch, 102-yard performance in Week 3. He also had two catches for 47 yards in last weekend’s 38-28 victory over the San Diego Chargers.

As Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl MVP receivers Holmes and Ward get most of the attention, Wallace has quietly taken advantage of his opportunities.

"He’s a great talent," Ward said of his rookie teammate recently. "Teams are going to have to start paying attention to him."

Wallace is not your typical first-year player.

The rookie is 23, which is one year older than Pittsburgh's 2008 first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall. Wallace also played four years, including 10 games as a true freshman, in the tough SEC.

Wallace’s receiving statistics in college didn’t jump out compared to some of his rookie peers. But so far the third-round pick has more receptions and yards than first-round receivers Darrius Heyward-Bey of the Oakland Raiders and Jeremy Maclin of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Wallace went through three offensive coordinators during his college career at Ole Miss, which probably hurt his production. But Wallace also says learning different systems was a blessing in disguise because he ran many of the routes required in the NFL.

"I also had two different head coaches," Wallace said of his college career. "We had switched so much that I had to run into some of the concepts [in Pittsburgh] that we were already doing."

Wallace also has life experience. His hometown of New Orleans was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 while Wallace was in college. The roof of his family’s home caved in and they were forced to relocate to Dallas for five months. Eventually Wallace’s family returned home to New Orleans, fixed the roof and replaced all the furniture. Wallace says everything is back to normal.

Overall the Steelers are happy with the production of their third-rounder. The team traded out of the second round last April for additional third-round picks, because it felt the same caliber of players might be available. The pick used on Wallace was acquired in a trade with the Denver Broncos.

Pittsburgh rarely is a team where rookies get a lot of opportunities, but Wallace has quickly earned the trust of coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Wallace was the team’s fourth receiver in training camp. But Limas Sweed’s struggles early in the season opened the door for Wallace to become a bigger part of the offense.

Wallace developed a reputation in college as a speedster who needed to sharpen his routes, but he has worked hard with Pittsburgh’s coaching staff to improve in that area and it’s paying off. In addition to his coaches, Wallace said Ward and Holmes also are staying on the rookie in practice.

Wallace understands their reasons.

"If I don’t know how to run my route, that’s hurting them too and that’s hurting the rest of the team," Wallace said. "So both of them are always on me about different things all the time. One of them might tell me about dipping my head, the other might tell me about my stride. Both of them are always picking at me, so I’m constantly trying to clean all of that up."

With Ward and Holmes doing the polishing, Wallace doesn't look like a rookie so far.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
TampaSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12183
Default Re: Rookie Surprise - Mike Wallace

Limas who?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I really love this guy's work ethic and his attitude! I think he will be a solid WR for us for years to come.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

This explains his obvious maturity as a player.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 1,342 Times in 616 Posts

This guy seems to have a lot of upside. I'm pretty excited about him. Now if Limas Sweed can earn his way back on to the field at some point, our 5 wide could be even more dangerous than it looked the other night.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Superstar in the making.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,152 Posts

holmes future replacement.... you heard it here first...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 1,342 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
holmes future replacement.... you heard it here first...
Are you saying that because you think Santo will want too big a contract? My guess would be Hines' eventual replacement w/ Santo going over the middle.

We can use Sweed on the screen passes.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Are you saying that because you think Santo will want too big a contract? My guess would be Hines' eventual replacement w/ Santo going over the middle.

We can use Sweed on the screen passes.
holmes contract will expire before ward retires.and yes it will come down to dollars and cents....there's still a few contracts looming large in the next few seasons...you can't keep everyone, so if wallace continues to get better, he makes holmes and his 55 catches very expendable.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I was so against him as a number 3...He is winning me over!