Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Big Ben gets off to a big start

Anybody notice that BB is completing most of his passes so far? You can attribute that to Kenny Anderson. His game management has also been outstanding.

In a side note, the headlines after the Steelers win over the Chargers was, "Steelers Hang On For Win". They won by 10. While the Vikings had a decent lead and won by 7, but the headlines were more skewed towards Favre's playing. I think the media and many people not in the Steeler Nation are biased against our team.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Big Ben gets off to a big start

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
Anybody notice that BB is completing most of his passes so far? You can attribute that to Kenny Anderson. His game management has also been outstanding.

In a side note, the headlines after the Steelers win over the Chargers was, "Steelers Hang On For Win". They won by 10. While the Vikings had a decent lead and won by 7, but the headlines were more skewed towards Favre's playing. I think the media and many people not in the Steeler Nation are biased against our team.
I think that's the way most Steeler fans would have it. It gives our team a sense of no respect, or us against the world attitude, and they usually respond better that way.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Let the media and the talking heads cheer the Pats*, the Mannings, Favre, etc. while we pursue our 7th. Lombardi

SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

don't ever forget that talking about football is a JOB. most of these guys, much like the people you and i work with, are just putting in their hours, punching the clock.

it should shock no one that 98% of the media coverage is lazy and inaccurate.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
BigBenFn7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13980

Ben has been outstanding. 3rd in passing yards and his QB rating of 98 has to be among the best in the league as well.
BigBenFn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,016 Times in 426 Posts

I wouldn't say that that headline is biased. They did hang on. Had Reed missed the FG, the Bolts would've been within about 60 yards of tying the game......And we all saw how they were going through the defense on those last few drives.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

through the first 25% of the season, here are Ben's stats and where he ranks:

Passing yards: 1,193 yards - 3rd place (behind Peyton @ 1,336 and Rivers @ 1,245)

Completion %: 73.2 - 1st place (ahead of Peyton @ 70.8) He also has the 2nd most completions thus far this season, 2nd only Goldenboy Tom Brady (who has a relatively abysmal completion % of 62 ) - also note that he's 3rd place in with an avg of 8.4 yards, so it isn't like he's Pennington or Brady throwing dink and dunk passes all over the place.

Passer Rating: 98.1, good enough for 8th place, although I expect a lot of the other QBs ahead of him to drop while I expect him to rise. He actually had a down season last year, but it was still better than his worst (post XL season). Otherwise he's averaged right around the 100 range.

What's hurting him most is his TD:INT ratio. 5TDs isn't great but its respectable, and 4INT might be raise some uneducated alarms, but we have to keep in mind some poor execution on certain other players parts that lead dropped TDs or INTs that shouldn't have been because of wrong routes run. Also, two of his INTs were on deep pass plays that otherwise could be thought of as punts. He's otherwise had very few really bad mistakes that lead to damage.

I think he'll crack 4000 yards this season (he's actually on pace for 4700+, but I expect some bad weather games to slow him down), but it'll take some work to match or beat his own TD record of 32, but things could change if the trend of ever improving offensive output continues. Wallace is becoming a more legitimate threat with every game, and we really haven't seen anything from Sweed thus far. If we could get them both contributing to their potential, watch out...
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Kenny Anderson gets all the credit? No Bruce Arians love?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post

I also contribute it to the better Oline play. Ben has more time thus far and is therefore able to make better choices.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Ben is really playing well this year. Seems like he is on the same page with his receivers. He also looks good in the pocket and seems like he is not forcing anything.