Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin calls Detroit's Johnson an alien and senses urgency with game against Lions

Tomlin calls Detroit's Johnson an alien and senses urgency with game against Lions
October 7, 8:01 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-against-Lions

PITTSBURGH - The Detroit Lions were the joke of the league last year when they went 0-16, and although they are struggling again this year Steeler coach Mike Tomlin is not taking them for granted.

He also called this an urgent week for his team in regards to a number of issues, with the first getting back-to-back wins for the first time in 2009.

" We are trying to get a couple of things done that we haven't done to this point of the year," Tomlin said. "The first is stacking our victory performances on top of one another, trying to get consecutive wins. I think if you desire to be a world championship-caliber team like we do, of course, you’ve got to be capable of doing that.

"And also we’re searching for our first road victory. Similarly, if you want to be a world championship-caliber team, you’ve got to go into hostile environments and play winning football. So we’re going to prepare with those things in mind this week."

Looking over the Lions, Tomlin said he has concerns about a number of things, especially receiver Calvin Johnson.

"Calvin Johnson is extremely talented; An alien if you will in terms of match ups," Tomlin said. " He’s big, strong and fast. He plays with all those attributes, he high points the football. It’s not too big for him. We’ve got to try and find a way to minimize the damage that he does to us."

While that task is not easy, Tomlin plans on utilizing Ike Taylor in covering him.

"He didn’t wait until Wednesday to ask about that match up this week," Tomlin said of Taylor. " He doesn’t take it lightly, and we don’t take it lightly. Ike is a top quality player, who has a desire to be great,,, his actions match his words in that regard."

Of course the topic of Larry Foote came up, who was released by the Steelers earlier this year.

" We let him go for a lot of reasons," Tomlin said. "Most importantly is our growth and development at that position and feelings regarding Lawrence Timmons."

Tomlin called Foote a good guy and said he is still concerned about his play making ability.

"This guy’s a good football player," Tomlin said in regards to Foote. " He made a bunch of plays for them. And if I know Larry, he’ll provide some good WWE talk prior to the game, but he’ll always step into the stadium ready to back it up. We like Larry. Got a great deal of respect for him."

Of course that reference to the WWE was in regards to Ben Roethlisberger being a guest host and bringing the entire offensive line with him to Wilkes Barre on Monday night where at one point during the event center Jeff Hartings did a body slam with one of the wrestlers.

"I thought I'd throw you an assist," Tomlin who did not watch the event said with a laugh knowing the question was coming. "We don't watch wrestling at our household, I have little kids and they might try it at home."

As for injuries, of course Troy Polamalu was on most peoples minds. Tomlin address his status as well as some other injury concerns.

"You guys probably want to hear about Troy," Tomlin said. " Troy’s has been doing well and progressing well. He may participate in a limited basis tomorrow in practice with a brace on. What that means for his game participation is unclear to this point. Really, we just want to get him out there on the practice field and see how he responds to that and then kind of proceed from there."

Willie Parker, David Johnson, and Chris Kemeotau and Andre Frazier were all to see limited action in practice but were not ruled out Sunday.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: Tomlin calls Detroit's Johnson an alien and senses urgency with game against Lion

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but this is the ultimate "trap" game. You come off a huge and needed win against the Chargers and turn around the next week to play Detroit. We better not overlook them. So I'm glad to hear Tomlin has this mindset as well.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Tomlin calls Detroit's Johnson an alien and senses urgency with game against Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but this is the ultimate "trap" game. You come off a huge and needed win against the Chargers and turn around the next week to play Detroit. We better not overlook them. So I'm glad to hear Tomlin has this mindset as well.
I agree.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I agree...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Yep I don't want their minds lingering on WWE moments

need to handle our business

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

IMO, every game is a trap game. We need to go there and score....and score some more.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Of course that reference to the WWE was in regards to Ben Roethlisberger being a guest host and bringing the entire offensive line with him to Wilkes Barre on Monday night where at one point during the event center Jeff Hartings did a body slam with one of the wrestlers.
I didn't know that Hartings was back. That must be why the OL is playing better.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
I didn't know that Hartings was back. That must be why the OL is playing better.
I wish he was back at center, quite honestly.

I'm glad to see that Tomlin isn't underestimating the Lions. I'm sure they'll be a very hungry team wanting to knock off the Super Bowl champs and will bring everything they've got. Calvin Johnson is an awesome wideout and Ike is going to have his hands full but I have total confidence that he is up for the task.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think this couldn't have been better timed for us. It let's us focus on fundamentals. Go out and try to back to back games... but also not feel like we have to play mistake free perfectly executed football like we would against the Ravens, Pats, etc. right now.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I'm just glad the Lions already got their win this season, takes the pressure off and we can go out and focus on the task at hand and not worry about being the team that lost the first time to them in 20 games.

Tomlin only called Calvin an Alien to deflect attention away from the time travelling space alien from another dimension on his own roster who is currently "hurt" (troy is really engaging in a top secret mission to save the earth from an invasion from Pluto so he was put on the Deactivated list to deflect attention away from his real true nature of Super Hero)