Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Steelers-Bolts Assessment

So I watched the game again... watching for some specific things. Here is what I saw.

1. Kemo-- absolute stud. Matter of fact, the entire line is quite impresive. The only thing they missed here was dealing with overloads. That'll come though.

2. Run Game. Ok. Is Mendy that good? Yes and No. Let's start with NO first. Every time he was hit behind the line, he fell behind the line. There is no breaking tackles behind the LOS. When he got to the LOS without being touched, he normally got 1-3 yards beyond the LOS before being touched. That gave him a full head of steam and ANY RB should be able to run well under those conditions. Now, for the YES. Once Mendy got some speed, he would hit people, and keep on moving. He didn't quit. He has VERY good vision. He still missed a hole or two, and probably could have had another 10 to 20 yards. However, for what amounts to a rookie (only played 4 games last year), very impressive.

3. Defense. We got smoked by the TE. Why? Timmons got burned once, lined up in the wrong place once (first half, you can see Farrior waving at him and pointing franticly). Ratliff get used a couple times as well. Beyond those things, they went to a quick pass. 2 and 3 step drops (as others had said). Of course, the way to stop that is to roll up and jam the WR's. However, that messes with out run coverage (fire-blitz scheming). I don't think we are going to see a whole lot of changes here for the most part. I think we need to get some more pressure earlier on in the game to make the O think about that blitz more, then drop people out of the blitz to step into zones. it'll be interesting to see what happens.

After a second look... here are my grades.

O Line A. No A plus, they need some more work on the finer points... But WHAT a game!!!. A couple holding calls, still messed up on the overloads keeps them at an A.

WR's. B. Ward had a couple drops. But besides that, they played really well. Nice blocking too. Had to dock for the drops though.

RB. How do you not give an A to a 160 yard effort? Even if it is a lot of the O line... it is still a very impressive effort. Mendy showed some REAL kick and drive at the end. Dang impressive.

Defense-- Let's just stalk about the unit. A+ for 3 quarters. C- for the last quarter. A+ for the last play. That equals a B+ for the entire game.

Coaching- A+ mendy responded well. Great offensive plays.
defense... C+ Gotta make those changes in the fourth quarter. However, still impressive as a coach. Just wanna see those changes!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Slanted August
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13535
Default Re: Steelers-Bolts Assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
So I watched the game again... watching for some specific things. Here is what I saw.

1. Kemo-- absolute stud. Matter of fact, the entire line is quite impresive. The only thing they missed here was dealing with overloads. That'll come though.

2. Run Game. Ok. Is Mendy that good? Yes and No. Let's start with NO first. Every time he was hit behind the line, he fell behind the line. There is no breaking tackles behind the LOS. When he got to the LOS without being touched, he normally got 1-3 yards beyond the LOS before being touched. That gave him a full head of steam and ANY RB should be able to run well under those conditions. Now, for the YES. Once Mendy got some speed, he would hit people, and keep on moving. He didn't quit. He has VERY good vision. He still missed a hole or two, and probably could have had another 10 to 20 yards. However, for what amounts to a rookie (only played 4 games last year), very impressive.

3. Defense. We got smoked by the TE. Why? Timmons got burned once, lined up in the wrong place once (first half, you can see Farrior waving at him and pointing franticly). Ratliff get used a couple times as well. Beyond those things, they went to a quick pass. 2 and 3 step drops (as others had said). Of course, the way to stop that is to roll up and jam the WR's. However, that messes with out run coverage (fire-blitz scheming). I don't think we are going to see a whole lot of changes here for the most part. I think we need to get some more pressure earlier on in the game to make the O think about that blitz more, then drop people out of the blitz to step into zones. it'll be interesting to see what happens.

After a second look... here are my grades.

O Line A. No A plus, they need some more work on the finer points... But WHAT a game!!!. A couple holding calls, still messed up on the overloads keeps them at an A.

WR's. B. Ward had a couple drops. But besides that, they played really well. Nice blocking too. Had to dock for the drops though.

RB. How do you not give an A to a 160 yard effort? Even if it is a lot of the O line... it is still a very impressive effort. Mendy showed some REAL kick and drive at the end. Dang impressive.

Defense-- Let's just stalk about the unit. A+ for 3 quarters. C- for the last quarter. A+ for the last play. That equals a B+ for the entire game.

Coaching- A+ mendy responded well. Great offensive plays.
defense... C+ Gotta make those changes in the fourth quarter. However, still impressive as a coach. Just wanna see those changes!
Nice Breakdown.....IMO this was the greatest game called by the OC since that game where he had Kelly Holcomb put up some ridiculous numbers against us. That was the game where Kendrell Bell stone walled a Cleveland running back at the goal line.

I loved the aggresiveness and the mix of plays of run vs pass. Throw in a couple RB screens and use Logan as a rich man's Welker and it will really be difficult to key in on a single player or tendancy of our offense. I have to admit I was having Faneca flashbacks when I saw the holes opened up by Kemo. Great to see this, especially with winter coming on us.
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I watched the NFL replay last night - they had a lot of sideline sound bites from the Steelers not in the regular broadcast.

good stuff

Ben hoopin' and a hollerin' after his TD pass to Miller - Heath deadpans - "good pass" -Ben all "woo woo woooo that was a helluva catch"
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

ya i watched the replay to, it was a good game, i like that formation with 4 receivers in a diamond shape, with logan in there, he just turned like he was gonna get a quick pass, i think a few of those more a game and defenses will be scared to run downfield with Tone and Wallace cuz if they back off too much, logan will rip up their D underneath
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Assesment... We kicked their a$$ up and down the field for 3 quaters, then got soft and let 'em back in.

"We let 'em off the hook!"

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote