Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Woodley's Sackless Start Doesn't Mean He's Not Being Productive

Woodley's Sackless Start Doesn't Mean He's Not Being Productive
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/08/w...ng-productive/

(Note there is a video about Woodley with the article. See above URL. - mesa)
Posted Oct 08, 2009 8:11AM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

LaMarr WoodleyThe Steelers pass rush has missing in action for much of the first month of the season and a lot of that blame has started to focus on outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley who has zero sacks in four games after picking up 11.5 sacks last season.

But as Dagger over at Post Game Heroes points out, Woodley's lack of sack production doesn't mean he's not being productive. Against the Chargers, Woodley had only one tackle and no sacks but he did do an excellent job of shutting down the passes in the flat to LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles.

Dagger's analysis showed that Woodley only rushed the passer on 59 percent of the Chargers pass plays. On 41 percent of them, he dropped into coverage. Usually, Woodley is rushing on anywhere between 70 and 80 percent of pass plays. And as Dagger showed with a cutup of some of Woodley's plays, while Woodley didn't get a sack, he is still contributing to the Steelers defense.

It's also worth noting that Woodley went four straight games at the end of the regular season last year without a sack, but he rebounded to record six sacks in three playoff games.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Woodley's Sackless Start Doesn't Mean He's Not Being Productive

Calm down everybody, I found LaMarr Woodley.
http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7919
By Dagger | October 7, 2009

Calm down everybody, I found LaMarr Woodley. It turns out that he wasn’t MIA last week and he hasn’t lost all of his pass rushing abilities seemingly overnight. Hear me out on this one.

You didn’t see Woodley hauling down Philip Rivers on Sunday night but there is something else that you didn’t see that is probably much more important. You didn’t see Tomlinson and/or Sproles catching 2 yard dump offs and turning them into 30 yard gains. Say what you want about Vincent Jackson and Gates but Sproles and Tomlinson’s ability to catch balls in the flat and turn them into game-changing plays has probably been the biggest weapon in the Chargers passing game for the past few years.

Last year Sproles caught 6 balls for 100 yards in 2 games vs Pittsburgh. Tomlinson caught 3 balls for 45 yards. So far this season, Sproles has been a huge weapon in the passing game and has put up the following numbers:

Week 1: 5 catches for 43 yards

Week 2: 7 catches for 124 yards

Week 3: 2 catches for 14 yards

Against Pittsburgh Sproles only managed 1 catch for 16 yards.

Instead of focusing on this stat:

woodleysackweek4

Perhaps we should be focusing on this one:

sdbacksvssteelers

What does this have to do with LaMarr Woodley you ask? Well Woodley spent the better part of his Sunday night covering RBs and playing zone defense in the flats. This Steelers defense has always been about being unselfish and doing whatever the team asks you to do. A lot has been brought up over the past 3 weeks about James Harrison being asked to drop back into coverage at key moments; well it seems Woodley is being given the same duties.

First Quarter: The Chargers run 6 pass plays. Woodley drops into coverage on all 6 plays. WOW.

Second Quarter: The Chargers run 10 pass plays. Woodley drops in to coverage 3 times and rushes the passer 7 times.

Third Quarter: The Chargers run 13 pass plays. Woodley drops into coverage 7 times and rushes the passer 6 times.

Fourth Quarter: The Chargers run 12 pass plays. Woodley rushes the passer 11 times and drops into coverage one time.

That’s right people….Woodley dropped into coverage on 41% of all San Diego passing plays. For a frame of reference, Woodley rushed the QB on 72% of all passing plays vs the Ravens in last year’s playoff game. He rushed the QB on 56% of all passing plays in the playoffs last year against San Diego and he rushed the QB on 81% of all passing plays in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals.

This past Sunday, Woodley really wasn’t rushing the passer very much until the 4th QTR when the Chargers were passing the ball on every down. Woodley was often very close to getting his hands on Rivers but was missing by inches. Throughout the game we also saw examples of Woodley lining up as a MLB and rushing the passer right up the middle…taking on the Center and San Diego’s Guards. We put together a quick video to show you some of the alignments, near misses, and zone coverages.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't think we will have to worry Woodley will get his share of sacks this year. He just isn't a pure pass rusher on every play. He is helping defend the pass as well.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Paging: Steeldude!

This is EXACTLY what I said all along...and your response to me was to bash me and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Read.
Listen.
Learn.

Concerning this blurb, I GUARANTEE you Wood was not dropping into coverage much last year. This is his growing and evolving into a complete Steelers 3-4 OLB. There was already some statistical evidence of this, as last year he had only 2 passes defensed through 16 games, and he already has 2 through just 4 games this year. He'll be fine...and he's CERTAINLY NOT slow!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

This is EXACTLY what I said all along...and your response to me was to bash me and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Read.
Listen.
Learn.

Concerning this blurb, I GUARANTEE you Wood was not dropping into coverage much last year. This is his growing and evolving into a complete Steelers 3-4 OLB. There was already some statistical evidence of this, as last year he had only 2 passes defensed through 16 games, and he already has 2 through just 4 games this year. He'll be fine...and he's CERTAINLY NOT slow!
It's true he's been dropping into coverage more but is it a process or is it because we're missing Troy?It seems like Harrison has been in coverage a little more too.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Could be...could just be that they changed their defensive assignments in general. Either way, the defense will continue to evolve to stay ahead of the way offenses try to attack it...
Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

why is it when our guys are lacking in sacks it's media coverage until marsha or favre does something, but very little has been said about players like DeMarcus Ware who as of last week (probably still) is without a sack.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

Read.
Listen.
Learn.
still trolling, revs? you are the one who started bashing. go back an look, hypocrite.

this is one person's opinion. if he wanted to make a better analysis he should have compared harrison's assignments as well. this is also just one game he analyzed, not all 4.

all i said was "has woodley put on extra weight this season? he appears slow in containment and pursuit" nowhere did i say he wasn't doing anything or that he wouldn't get sacks this season, but as usual, you cried and started in with your typical, empty rants again. it's your usual MO on here.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Yes, that makes sense...it's certainly proof positive that Woodley is slow, because the Steelers would certainly put him back in pass coverage more if he's slower.

Face it, it was stupid and simplistic argument, without merit, based on "one persons opinion" (yours) who filters everything Steelers related through a negative filter. IF one of our OLB's was recognizably slower, you'd see 20 articles about it...

Dismissed.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
WH

Member Number:

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7919

I fould Lamar in case anyone thought for a second he was missing.