Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,063 Posts
Default NASA fires missile at moon tomorrow

explosion can be seen from earth.

very cool, although i think we shouda done a test run on afghanistan just to be sure all the kinks had been ironed out. id hate for it to be a wasted experiment.

NASA Firing LCROSS Missile into the Moon

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...he.html?cat=15

Quote:
Watch the LCROSS Heavy Impact Craft Strike Live at 7:30 a.m. EDT on October 9, 2009
An extraordinary event in space research is scheduled to take place in the early morning hours of October 9th as NASA's LCROSS mission comes to its dramatic conclusion. NASA is planning to send one half of the LCROSS space craft, a high-velocity, heavy-impact vehicle called Centaur, into the Cabeus crater on the surface of the moon's South Pole. The resulting impact is expected to send up a shower of moon dust that is visible from the Earth with telescopes that are 10-12 inches and larger. Furthermore, NASA will fly the second half of the LCROSS space craft directly through that dust plume to analyze the material ejected from deep within the moon.

The Purpose of the NASA LCROSS Impact Experiment

The second space craft will analyze the debris and relay data back to Earth before it crashes into the lunar surface itself, sending up another cloud of moon dust. The goal of the Lunar CRater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) mission is to determine once and for all whether water exists on the moon and if it does, just how much water there might be locked under the surface of the polar regions. Other detailed information about the moon's composition will also be collected by the LCROSS satellite's on board spectrometers. Spectrometers are able to determine which elements are present by analyzing their spectral signatures. Large spikes representing hydrogen and oxygen in the LCROSS dust plumes would indicate the presence of water and allow NASA to calculate the amount of water contained in the region of the impact.
- MODS!!!

oops... sorry guys, i thought i was in the locker room.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
tony hipchest

Default Re: NASA fires missle at moon tomorrow

NASA is Not Bombing Alien Moon Bases

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...he.html?cat=15

Quote:
In the last two days, I have seen so much erroneous reporting and so many downright crazy stories about NASA bombing the moon with explosive warheads, that I had to set the record straight. NASA is aiming a high speed heavy impact vehicle
which is not a bomb at the moon to kick up dust so that a following spacecraft can use on board spectrometers to determine whether the dust contains water from the moon's surface. The dust plume from the impact is expected to reach six miles high and be visible from the United States (west of the Mississippi River) with telescopes that have a diameter larger than 10 inches. That's the truth. Most everything else you read is wrong.

Here are some of the inaccurate, or downright crazy reports that have been published so far:

Where is NASA Dropping the Bomb?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
tony hipchest

im disappointed.

here the US govt is going to essentially drop a nuke into the moon which will effectively split it into half and send the lesser half plummeting into the earths gravitational pull, and there isnt an ounce of ...

-PANIC!!! on this board.

hasnt anyone seen Armageddon????

surely this is more likely to actually happen than america being converted to a communist nation, right?

i guess obamas arrogance and not securing the '16 olymics in chicago, is a much bigger deal than discovering water on the moon.

"pop media" (and its worship/obsession of) indeed.

SMH
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Cool thundar the barbarian TIME! planiong on watchin if it isnt pouring down rain & moon..

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: NASA fires missile at moon tomorrow

Rather than send this high tech expensive doohickey into the moon to cause a massive impact and stir up a huge cloud of dust visible from earth...

Wouldn't it make more economical sense to just have brett favre throw a football at the moon?

(Insert inevitable "he'd probably throw an interception to mars" joke here.)

Last edited by MattsMe; 10-09-2009 at 12:41 AM.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

brett favre.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

YES! LETS BLOW UP THE MOON
Old 10-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts

i'm a little unclear on why its important to know if there's water on the moon ? ...and more importantly...how many tax dollars are being spent on this quest for water ? i mean finding out there's water there might be worth a billion or so, but if there spending more than that, well....

i guess aquafina will drill for it and sell moon water for 10k a bottle.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

There IS a plan in the works to send the US back to the moon...the prices tag is 100 billion, or about 1/8th the cost of the spendulus bill. Since going to the moon again will no doubt involve some emerging technologies which COULD lead to some breakthroughs in alternative fuels, more efficient insulators, etc, etc, I'd say it's money much more wisely spent than stupid and flawed spending bills which amounted to nothing more than a bunch of pet pork projects and created almost no jobs.

On a related note, my girlfriend is at a NASA sponsored event at a Girl Scout camp where they've set up a bunch of high powered telescopes to view this event.

20 minutes away now (7:31 AM and it's on NASA's website) if anyone here is interested...
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Big Bust...rain, so the telescopes were useless, and then the NASA feed cut out 1 minute before impact.

Did find this on the NASA site though about the moon....

Lunar Exploration Themes

Six lunar exploration themes evolved from the recent Global Exploration Strategy discussions. NASA engaged the global space community to develop the themes by asking the question, "Why should we return to the Moon?"

From the answers emerged six common areas of interest – six areas of pursuit which, seen through the eyes of the world, define the value of going to the moon. NASA took these six ideas and worked with other space agencies to develop the following lunar exploration themes. View a video on each theme in the Related Multimedia section below.

Human Civilization
Extend human presence to the moon to enable eventual settlement.

Scientific Knowledge
Pursue scientific activities that address fundamental questions about the history of Earth, the solar system and the universe - and about our place in them.

Exploration Preparation
Test technologies, systems, flight operations and exploration techniques to reduce the risks and increase the productivity of future missions to Mars and beyond.

Global Partnerships
Provide a challenging, shared and peaceful activity that unites nations in pursuit of common objectives.

Economic Expansion
Expand Earth's economic sphere, and conduct lunar activities with benefits to life on the home planet.

Public Engagement
Use a vibrant space exploration program to engage the public, encourage students and help develop the high-tech workforce that will be required to address the challenges of tomorrow.

Lunar Exploration Objectives

Almost 200 lunar exploration objectives resulted from the Global Exploration Strategy process. NASA engaged the global space community to develop the objectives by asking the question, "What do we hope to accomplish through lunar exploration?"

NASA took the many answers to this question and compiled them into a comprehensive database of almost 200 different things we could do on the moon! The lunar exploration objectives are meant to capture the entire set of activities that anyone involved in lunar exploration may want to pursue. These activities could be carried out by NASA, another space agency, a private company, a university, or anyone else who invests in space exploration.

200 objectives can be found here: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/home...bjectives.html