Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ben sidesteps QB-protection question

Ben sidesteps QB-protection question
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_647165.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 9, 2009

The question of whether the NFL has blurred the line between protecting quarterbacks and coddling them has become pertinent once again.

Ben Roethlisberger weighed in on the hot-button issue Thursday, although he treaded lightly when asked if the NFL has stripped the game of some of its essence by restricting where defensive players are allowed to hit quarterbacks.

"I am going to have to be real careful on how I answer that," the Steelers quarterback said before practice yesterday. "You know you have to protect Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and those guys, because they are kind of the face of the NFL."

The Ravens drew a pair of questionable roughing-the-passer penalties in a 27-21 loss to the Patriots last Sunday, and to some it seemed more than a coincidence that Brady is New England's quarterback.

Brady, along with Manning, is one of the most marketable players in the NFL.

Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first game of 2008. During the offseason, NFL owners passed a rule that makes it illegal for defensive players to dive at a quarterback's legs.

It is commonly referred to as the Brady Rule -- and it has reinforced notions that marquee quarterbacks get special treatment because of their value to the NFL.

"I have seen particular quarterbacks just kind of look at an official and get a flag," Roethlisberger said. "I guess if that is the way it is, that is how it is. I feel being a mobile quarterback who doesn't give up on plays, I try to fight through a lot of things. Maybe that hurts me a little bit when it comes to that."

Like Roethlisberger, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said style of play, as well as stature, determines which quarterbacks are more likely to draw roughing-the-passer penalties.

Referees, Arians added, have become so used to seeing Roethlisberger absorb hits because of his scrambling that he may not get some of the calls given to traditional pocket passers such as Brady and Manning.

Arians said Roethlisberger has taken shots to the head three different times this season without drawing a penalty.

The Steelers sent all three plays to the NFL so they could get a clarification on why no penalties were assessed for the hits.

"You'd like to see more of those called against," Arians said, "but I think with (Roethlisberger's) style of play, you probably won't see as many."

Defensive players would like to see fewer of those calls, period, and if they are a little frustrated when it comes to rules regarding quarterbacks, is it understandable.

Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison got penalized for roughing the passer in a Sept. 20 game in Chicago when an official ruled he had dived at the legs of Bears quarterback Jay Cutler.

The Steelers contend that Harrison got blocked into Cutler and fell after losing his balance.

When asked if the NFL has gone too far in trying to protect quartebracks, Harrison held his tongue.

"I'm going to have to say no comment to that," the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year said, "because I don't want to get fined."

What is clear is that the zone for defensive players has shrunk as far as hitting quarterbacks.

Anything above the head or below the knees is almost certain to draw a 15-yard penalty.

"Any more in this league, you can't even really come close to the quarterback, so it's hard," Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said. "But it's something that's in the rules and something that we can't dwell on and something that we really can't think on. We just have to go out and play and try to get them on the ground as legally as possible."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts
Default Re: Ben sidesteps QB-protection question

Im still waiting for Fat-Boy Rodgers to be fined for his late hit to Bens Face in week 2 of last year

Its obvious this rule and ward's rule were made to help soft teams like Brady's Pats

Goodell and Kraft are probably looking at pictures of one another as I type this

Also Known as SteelerSpartan

Last edited by Steel_Bus_24; 10-09-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
"I have seen particular quarterbacks just kind of look at an official and get a flag," Roethlisberger said. "I guess if that is the way it is, that is how it is. I feel being a mobile quarterback who doesn't give up on plays, I try to fight through a lot of things. Maybe that hurts me a little bit when it comes to that."
Understatement of the year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

if quarterbacks could call fouls .......damn .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
if quarterbacks could call fouls .......damn .
Some pretty much already can by whining to the refs. One in particular.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

wow...ben is hit at least 3 times a game that should be called, and hes becoming a bigger face to the public like manning and brady, so hopefully, later this year or next year ben will get the calls he should get, im kinda sick of the way they only penalize the steelers and not the teams were playing
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Some pretty much already can by whining to the refs. One in particular.
HE'S TOUCHING ME!!! REF, didn't you just hear what he said to me? And you're not going to throw the flag. No really, he hurt my feelings!!!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

With Halloween fast approaching, this is the only way that Ben Roethlisberger will get some of those cheesy calls:

Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
With Halloween fast approaching, this is the only way that Ben Roethlisberger will get some of those cheesy calls:

That is just a disturbing picture.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

What does a quarterbacks's style of play have anything to do with whether a penalty gets called or not? A rule is a rule. Just because Ben absorbs hits better than pusses like Brady does, doesn't mean that he should.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote