Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Arians: Parker still the starter

Arians: Parker still the starter
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_647167.html#
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 9, 2009

Scott Brown is the Steelers beat writer. He can be reached via e-mail. Also check out Brown's blog

Even after Rashard Mendenhall's breakout performance last Sunday, the pecking order in the Steelers' backfield hasn't changed.

"Willie Parker's a proven commodity," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of the injured veteran who is still first on the depth chart at running back. "When Rashard is (proven), then we'll re-evaluate him. I hope it gets to that problem. I'd like to have those two healthy at the same time."

The Steelers are not there yet.

Parker did not practice Thursday because of turf toe. The injury has put his availability for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Detroit Lions in doubt, although Arians remains hopeful Parker will play.

Mendenhall rushed for 165 yards and two touchdowns while starting in place of Parker in the Steelers' 38-28 win over the San Diego Chargers. If Mendenhall plays well against the Lions, Arians said, "then, yes, you've got to look to re-evaluate the number of carries both guys get."

In addition to Parker, tight end David Johnson (ankle) didn't practice yesterday.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), guard Chris Kemoeatu (ankle) and linebacker Andre Frazier (shoulder) were limited in practice.

Polamalu, who has been out since spraining his knee on Sept. 10, looks like a long shot to play in Detroit. He does, however, seem encouraged with the progress he has made this week.

"I got more reps in than I did (Wednesday)," the five-time Pro Bowler said. "I feel better."

Kemoeatu, coming off one of the best games of his career, said he plans on fully participating in practice today and playing Sunday.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Arians: Parker still the starter

Obviously you can't make a judgment on a one time performance, But FWP should be worried because by the time Willie gets healthy Mendy might have racked up a few great games and they might have already started to re-evaluate the starting position.

As much as I have always been a fan of FWP, if Mendy can keep playing like he did the other night you have to make him the starter.

Lets see if he can stay hot first though.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,764 Times in 1,790 Posts

Willie's as good as gone after the season, might as well get Mendy in there and get him some experience and see what happens.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to have those two healthy at the same time."
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I'm not usually one to say Arians sucks, but ... dude. If Arians really can't see that Parker sucks, then Arians sucks.

Seriously, Bruce, LET PARKER SIT ON THE BENCH! IT WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A GENIUS!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I'm not usually one to say Arians sucks, but ... dude. If Arians really can't see that Parker sucks, then Arians sucks.

Seriously, Bruce, LET PARKER SIT ON THE BENCH! IT WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A GENIUS!

I sure as hell hope that Arians isn't empowered to make those types of decisions. If he is, then I would almost feel obligated to say that Tomlin sucks for empowering Arians with starting lineup decisions. He's JUST the offensive coordinator, I'm sure that he has "some" input but certainly not the final word.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
So would I but Willie has not made it through a complete season in how long? I can't see him signed to a new long term deal. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they bring Redman in and let him complete for the backup to Rashard.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,355 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't think you can take Parkers job from him based on one game but if Rashard keeps the hot hand then how could you not make him the starting running back.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I don't think you can take Parkers job from him based on one game but if Rashard keeps the hot hand then how could you not make him the starting running back.
Right on, and they didn't spend a 1st round draft choice on Mendenhall so that he could sit the bench for 2 or 3 years. They obviously expect big things from him sooner rather than later.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

OH goodness. Here we go again. I look forward to seeing how Willie runs when the first time he gets touched is 1 - 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, like Mendy did this week.

Oh, BTW, how did mendy do when he was met in teh backfield? He was dropped FOR A LOSS.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote