Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Steelers-Lions Matchups / Predictions

Steelers-Lions Matchups
Friday, October 9, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

The following are some of the interesting matchups to watch when the Pittsburgh Steelers travel to Detroit to face the Lions in a 1 p.m. game on Sunday at Ford Field:

STEELERS LOLB LaMARR WOODLEY VS. LIONS RT GOSDER CHERILUS: Saginaw is 90 miles north of Detroit, but there figure to be a good number of No. 56 Steelers jerseys sprinkled throughout the crowd at Ford Field, because this will be LaMarr Woodley’s first NFL regular season game in his home state. Through four games this season, Woodley doesn’t have a sack, but he has been awfully close a bunch of times. Currently fourth on the team with seven pressures and tied for fourth with three passes defensed, Woodley has been active and around the football but has yet to record any of his position’s more attractive statistics. Gosder Cherilus, 6-foot-7, 319, was a No. 1 pick in 2008, and he has been the starting right tackle for 17 of the Lions’ 20 regular season games since. “Gosder Cherilus is another first-round young man who has distinguished himself,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “He’s a big, violent man and plays that way.” Woodley can mix it up physically with the best of them, and neither of the possibilities for the Lions at quarterback – rookie Matthew Stafford with an injured knee or 260-pound Daunte Culpepper – is particularly mobile.

STEELERS CB IKE TAYLOR VS. LIONS WR CALVIN JOHNSON: “Calvin Johnson is extremely talented, an alien if you will in terms of matchups,” said Tomlin. “He’s big, strong and fast. He plays with all those attributes, he high-points the football. It’s not too big for him. We’ve got to try and find a way to minimize the damage that he does to us.” Apparently it didn’t take Tomlin long to figure out the primary weapon the Steelers plan to utilize to that end – Ike Taylor. “I’m sure you guys understand that Ike Taylor will be following Calvin Johnson,” said Tomlin later in the same news conference. “Ike is a top-quality player, he has a desire to be great, his actions match his words in that regard. He prepares extremely hard every week. He’s as good a practice player as we have. He’s always game for those challenges. We’re not going to send him over there to stop Calvin Johnson. He’s going to have some help in different forms and fashion, but that’s just the nature of the game. He’s a good player, the more you have the more we’re going to ask you to give, and he does that week in and week out.”

STEELERS QB BEN ROETHLISBERGER VS. LIONS MLB LARRY FOOTE: There probably isn’t too much about the Steelers that Larry Foote doesn’t know – from play calls to audibles to strengths and weaknesses of personnel to what offensive coordinator Bruce Arians likes to eat at the pregame meal. Mike Tomlin spent a bit of his news conference debunking the effect Foote’s knowledge will have on the game – “I think it’s overblown to a certain degree, with the movement in the players ranks and in the ranks of coaching,” said Tomlin. “Very rarely does it play a significant difference in the outcome of the football game. Larry Foote’s knowledge of what goes on here and how it comes together defensively is not going to determine the outcome of this football game. His play has a greater probability to determine the outcome of this football game than his knowledge.” The Steelers are not naïve enough to go with the calls and checks familiar to Foote – unless they use them as decoys – and there can be expected to be an awareness of the inside information Foote has been trying to provide. In this instance, knowing that Foote knows should be sufficient.

STEELERS WRs HINES WARD AND SANTONIO HOLMES VS. LIONS CBs ANTHONY HENRY AND WILLIAM JAMES: Lions coach Jim Schwartz is only in the early stages of a process that he hopes can turn the team into a winner. In these early stages, it’s often wise to keep the schemes simple so that the players have the ability to play without thinking and the coaches can continue to evaluate the personnel. Simple is beneficial for the Lions, but it also tends to make things easier for the opposition. The Steelers can expect to see vanilla coverages, and that could be one reason why the Lions are last in the league in pass yardage allowed. Hines Ward caught eight balls for 113 yards last week, and Santonio Holmes added four for 52. Anthony Henry is in his ninth NFL season and is playing for his third team, and William James is also in his ninth season and is playing for his fourth team. In a pure battle of individual matchups, the Steelers should get the better of it here.

http://steelers.com/article/111810/

My Prediction...

Steelers 31
Lions 13

The score will mirror the franchises.

Let's Go Steelers! Let's win the ones we're supposed to win.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
SteelMember
Team Owner

Default Re: Steelers-Lions Matchups / Predictions

Mum's the word: Stafford, Lions not saying much about QB's injury
Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions are being coy about the rookie quarterback's injured right knee and his playing status.

Is the kneecap dislocated?

"Really not sure," Stafford said Thursday after missing a second consecutive practice.

Will you play Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers?

"I don't know," Stafford said. "We'll see."

Lions coach Jim Schwartz refused to be remotely forthcoming when asked for an update on his quarterback.

"The injury report will be out at 4 o'clock," Schwartz said during a terse interview session that lasted about 20 seconds.

Stafford had his right knee twisted on a sack during Sunday's loss at Chicago.

"Obviously any time you tweak something, it's scary," he said.

Stafford, the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, said he did receive good news from tests because there was no structural damage in his knee and surgery wasn't deemed necessary.

The Lions, though, hadn't cleared Stafford to run four days after he was injured.

"They're just trying to get the swelling out," he said.

Daunte Culpepper would start if Stafford can't play, but the 11-year NFL veteran isn't interested in discussing anything with reporters.

"I have nothing to say until something changes from my perspective," Culpepper said.

Stafford said he hurt the same knee in high school -- during a freak accident on a Slip 'N Slide, according to his father -- but it was a different injury.

"I had a sprained MCL and a bunch of other stuff," Stafford said.

After Stafford spoke with reporters, one of them said his kneecap looked good.

"It's in the front," Stafford said jokingly as he touched his right knee.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If Stafford plays, he'll just be knocked back out of the game by halftime. They'd be wise to protect their investment and start Culpepper...he's a lot bigger (Still amazes me that he's a 260 lb QB) and can absorb more punishment.

35-17, and 10 of their 17 comes late in the 4th...
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
SteelMember
Team Owner

Good prediction, although I hope your wrong as far as the 4th qtr points. I really hope they made it a point this week in practice/meetings that they need to FINISH games. And besides, would they really go for a fieldgoal late if they were down by 21-28.

60 minutes guys!

Here's a Game Trax link. It has a coutdown clock and everything.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gameTra...Id=20091011008

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Slick93
Water Boy

Member Number: 14947

If I'm the Lions there's no way I risk serious injury to Stafford with the $ he's getting. I sit him this week and give him another week to recover. It'd be ashame to see all that money go down the toilet. I know they want to win but at what cost long term.

I'll go 41-17 Steelers.
Slick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

31-10 Steelers. I dont see Culpepper of Stafford getting away from Harrison or Woodley.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

41-6 Steelers

And I am embarrassed that we let them get into field goal range twice.

And if the Lions are smart, they sit Stafford and stat C-Pepp unless they want Stafford to start becoming the next Tim Couch.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

31-10 Steelers

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

38 to 10 Steelers of course. The defense will look amazing against this offense and poor Staford if he play won't know what hit him.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13033

31-10 Steelers.

But I'll be happy with a road win, before next week's Brownies game.
SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor is offline   Reply With Quote