Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
NEWstevo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15010
Default thanks, but no thanks, Steelers D

Long time reader, first time poster under my NEW name (forgot password, easier just to start over).
----------------------------------

The box score shows that the Steelers defense gave up 11 of 18 third down conversions (which is more than both teams in the Bronco’s – Pats game, and they went into OT). And several of those plays were 3rd and L O N G !

And, that was against a rebuilding Lions team, with a back up QB and had lost its only good player in the 1st quarter.

Ouch.

Pittsburgh’s offense basically won every game so far, it is only because of the bending/breaking defense that their record is 3-2. So much for last year’s legendary number one defense.

I haven’t lost faith. Pittsburgh is the best team in the division and they will come around. Cincy is a mediocre team that has gotten very lucky, and good for them. But as Dan Patrick says… the Bengals will somehow find the banana peel. They always do.

The Ravens are a broken team. Giving up a 100 yard rusher? They won’t go far either.

The Steelers should be fine, and we will all live longer if they can just start playing in the 4th quarter.

Go Steelers!
NEWstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: thanks, but no thanks, Steelers D

This just goes to show us how VERY IMPORTANT #43 is to the Steelers defense, yeah, he's that good. Considering that the Steelers are currently the #5 (NUMBER FIVE) ranked defense in the NFL, and that's without Troy's assistance for the past month, then really, how can anyone complain? I knew right away that the Steelers would have problems with Tyrone Carter filling in for Troy so I'm actually thrilled that they've done this well.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

I don't think missing Troy is the only issue. But Dick L. will figure things out, I have faith in that. Its tough for the D to live up to the standards of last year though.

I only saw Carter in on 1 or 2 plays the whole game though, things will be completely different with Troy.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
JHSilverback
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12082

The third and long conversions came off of alot of underneath passes to a halfback or tightend with an occasion run by the qb....but this is how the system works we eliminate big plays by allowing these short passes..now the reason why we stopped more of these last season is based on the fact of Troy patrolling the whole field but, with him now back I'm sure there is gonna be a huge difference on how many of these plays result in conversions along with the sack count going up because qbs will realize that #43 is in the area...this defense does have some other minor issues but, is one spark away from becoming the #1 defense in the nfl
JHSilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,541 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

The problem is the intensity of last year is gone. It was there for 3 plays at the end of the game. It needs to show up for the whole game.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Ratliff...I have ZERO confidence in this guy at this point. I'd rather see the old man Townsend out there every down instead of this fool.

Ratliff makes me almost miss Anthony Smith
Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
JHSilverback
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
The problem is the intensity of last year is gone. It was there for 3 plays at the end of the game. It needs to show up for the whole game.
yea but I think those last three plays sparked a fire back into the defense and that were going to see a whole lot more of that
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
JHSilverback
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Ratliff...I have ZERO confidence in this guy at this point. I'd rather see the old man Townsend out there every down instead of this fool.

Ratliff makes me almost miss Anthony Smith
true but, he is also the person trying to fill in what troy does from time to time and its a new system for him...he'll catch on eventually
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I always find it amazing when some people think that 1 person is the problem/answer to everything.

Troy isn't the answer to all our problems. Yes, he is arguably the best safety in the NFL and outright the best SS in the NFL. But if his play alone means that we are the difference between average and outstanding, then I question Dick Lebeau's ability to be coach. I DONT question LeBeau's ability, which means I DONT think that all the eggs are in the Troy P. basket. Teams STUDY THE BEST. We were the best last year, thus, we got studied. All it takes is ONE team to find a weakness against us, and it gets exploited until fixed. On top of that, we have a LB that seems to just be finally recovering from a high ankle sprain and a CB that is just adjusting to full-time duty.

Ratliff isn't the horrid problem. He got burned a couple times late in the San Diego game by the TE, but so did Timmons (ankle). He's doing fine all in all. Good to have him aboard, but it would be nice if we can fill his shoes with a another CB draft pick next year (mid round).

When you add ALL those things together... you get a defense that is just inches away from making big plays and putting teams away (literally! In the Bengals and the Bears games, we came within inches of getting drive ending sacks at the end). Now, it seems we are closing that distance. A little better coverage, a little better special teams play, a little better rushing from our LB's, a little better scheming by LeBeau late. A little better running (well, quite a bit better), and we are starting to win.

Watch for the trend to continue.

THEN we get Troy back. Troy isn't the cam or piston that makes the crankshaft turn, he is the nitrous that multiplies the power. Our problems now are basic, but they are getting straitened out. Then inject the Nitrous and watch what happens!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565

And remember, it's gonna take Troy some time to get back into the form he was in week 1 since he's been off for a while. So don't be so harsh on him if he makes a mistake.
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote