Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger not happy despite 28-20 win

Roethlisberger not happy despite 28-20 win
October 12, 4:30 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...spite-2820-win

DETROIT – At times Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked like Mark Malone as he eyed his receiver the entire way. There were times when he held the ball too long.

“I don’t feel I played that well, “ Roethlisberger said of his performance in the Steelers 28-20 win over Detroit. “

But let’s look at the bigger picture. Roethlisberger not only spread it around the field hitting six different receivers, but on the night he had a 123.9 passer rating, 277 yards in the air and three touchdowns.

“Really the thing that is exciting now, is that Ben is using all of his eligibles,” Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s dumping the ball to Rashard (Mendenhall) he’s dumping the ball to Mewelde Moore, and of course Heath (Miller) is a constant. “
Roethlisberger agreed with his coach.

“We have a lot of weapons,” Roethlisberger said “And when you have good wide receivers and running backs it is easy to spread it around,”

COLON CLEANSING – While it was a team effort and for a fourth consecutive week the offensive line looked good, Willie Colon continues to stand out among the unit. But don’t try telling him that.

“I think we are all accountable for our actions,” Colon said. “We understand there are no excuses in football that you just have to show up. The bottom line is we have to show that we have five guys up there at all times willing to win at all times, and it’s a testament to us.”

Colon said it was important to get that road win, and credited it as a team effort.

CONSERVATIVE IN A LIBERAL CITY - For three quarters, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called a decent game plan. But what was he thinking after the Lions scored on an 82 yard drive late in the fourth quarter. Running on the first play was good, and Mendenhall nearly got ten yards. But with plenty of time left on the clock, wouldn’t have second down been a perfect time to go into a no huddle situation and try to advance the ball? On the second play Mendenhall got -2 and then Roethlisberger forced a pass to Mike Wallace that was incomplete. This took all of a minute and a half.

“It was hard to get into a rhythm in the second half and there is really no excuse for that,” Roethlisberger said. “The standard is higher for us on offense, and we should be able to use that final five minutes there to score. “

HE PLAYS FOOTBALL TOO? - Manny Ramirez helped lead the Dodgers to a sweep over the Cardinals on Saturday night, and on Sunday he helped lead sweeps around end for the Lions. Ok, not the same guy but it sounded good, and the Lions version who weighs in at 6-3, 226 suited up for the Lions,

LIMAS SWEED - A surprise active for the game, as most expected veteran Shawn McDonald to make the start against his former team, Sweed who was inactive last week after his drop against the Bengals, was stone hands again. On an important third down play in the first quarter he did what he has done best the past two years, ‘droppa da ball’.

RASHARD MENDENHALL - First rush 27 yards, second run, seven yard score. Nothing more need said. On the afternoon the 2008 first round pick had 77 yards and a 5.1 average.

“I try to do everything that I can do by being out there the whole game, Mendenhall said. “I try to help the team anyway that I can. It was a pretty good performance

The big question about Mendenhall, especially on Sunday was why only six touches in the second half? Mendenhall had an explanation.

“It was all about the flow of the game,” Mendenhall said. “ As an offense we weren’t on the field as much as we wanted to be and different things happened where we had to throw the ball.” (Hey Mendy, I know you have to say this but this dog don't hunt. - mesa)

DAUNTE CULPEPPER – The 32-year old showed he still has some spring in the old legs. On his first run he cut through the Steeler defense for 32 yards. He also showed he has some life left in his arm as he led the Lions back from a huge deficit in the fourth quarter.

JAMES HARRISON – Do you think he was a little fired up to see his former teammate Larry Foote. In the first half Harrison had two sacks. He finished the day with eight tackles and three sacks. His best was his second of the day where he mimicked Larry Foote.

“I did a stomp for Foote there, that’s my dog,” Harrison said. “Truthfully, I don’t know if he was really able to help them out because we were sending out false signals today.”

I’M SORRY – Most remember referee Ed Hochuli’s errant calls last season. For those who forgot, let’s go over a worst. It was the Denver –Chargers game and his miscue handed the Bronco’s a win. Well he was at it again during the Steelers- Lions game starting with the Lions second score. Hoculi sounded the like guy in the Bud Light commercials when making the call on a penalty that was declined. Not once, but twice he had to apologize for being clueless.

Then he botched yet another call on a play where Mike Wallace should have caught the ball for a potential touchdown. After calling a penalty on the defense he reversed the call and made the proper one on Wallace for kicking the football.

MILLER’s TIME – He doesn’t get the attention that elite tight ends in the league get, but when his number gets called all he does is produce. His first catch went for a touchdown while his second was for ten yards and a first down and his third, yet another first down. Miller had five catches for 54 yards.

“Heath is a pro, and Ben has a great deal of comfort in him,” Tomlin said.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396
Default Re: Roethlisberger not happy despite 28-20 win

I tend to agree with Ben on this one, but I'll happily take the W.

I also wasn't sure if the foot stomping was good natured ribbing for Foote, or if they were throwing it at his face. Guess that answers that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,160 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
The big question about Mendenhall, especially on Sunday was why only six touches in the second half?
I dunno, maybe because he only got 12 yards on those six touches?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

I'm not happy either. I feel like I'm watching a .500 team that plays just well enough to win one week, and just poorly enough to lose the next....
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I dunno, maybe because he only got 12 yards on those six touches?
Oh, come on, everyone knows that when our starting RB has a bad stretch, it's all the line's fault and NOBODY can run the ball when they're getting swarmed in the backfield, etc., etc.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,157 Times in 456 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

idk 3 tds to 1 pick and a 129.something rating ill take that all year long
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

IMO

Credit the Lions for making Defesive adjustments in the second half. Early on they were not rushing as many guys as in the second half.

Not sure if this was an adjustment at half or just the need to take risks when your team is down by so many points. Alternately it could be a response to the 30,40 yard pass plays we were attempting.

If they're blitzing, we need to make some short throws to Heath, Hines and check down to Mendenhall. Also how about some no huddle to keep them from rotating in different personnel?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

He should be "not happy" he threw a mother effing Pick 6 on a weak throw that he should have made or looked off.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

A ass kicking to the Browns should make everyone feel better this week.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
A ass kicking to the Browns should make everyone feel better this week.
unless the browns pull an upset

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote