Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Busforever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1065
Default No time to panic

Yes, 2 losses in 5 games is not what we expect, especially when we are the defending champions.

But what I see is far from desperate. We controled all five games. We won 3 of them, and we let our oponents win the 2 others. No team eat us, we are controling our destiny.

Defense is suspect in those 4th quarters. But the potential is still there. Something tells me that our experimented players will rise in second half of the season - you know, when it really count, when the field is frozen... James Farrior, Aaron Smith, James Harrison... all those guys will hear the playoff call when we will need the win. It's not an age factor, it's a mental factor. They prove they are solid as rock when it counts. Yeah, they may be a little rusty, like your old uncle in the morning - yeah, the one who have to walk some steps and drink some coffee before everything else.

Yeah, count our young offense as Dewey, Huey and Louie. And our defense, you know, is a sort of uncle Scrooge: bad mood in the begining, making you sure you can't count on him; but in the end he shows a good personality and is a hero in spite of him.

And don't forget Polamalu will be back soon. He is the kind of player who shut the door at the end, making a play when oponent throw his last shot.

Last edited by Busforever; 10-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Busforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,194 Times in 475 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: No time to panic

its kind of scary that it seems that 1 player can make or break our defense
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

I don't get all the doom & gloom. We're over 500, still in control of our own destiny, have one of the best 2-3 passing attacks in the league, a top 5 defense, and our running game is showing signs of life. We've let two games get away from us in the fourth quarter, and we need to make some playcalling adjustments on both sides of the ball, and we've been a team that's really been turning it on in the last half of the season.

We're in fine shape, people, and will only get better.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
SteelStang
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11792

I believe that we will ultimately be fine, but they we have played in the 4th quarter is very troubling. I'm not going to sit here and tell you everything will be better once Troy returns because I think there is more to it than that, but I really think we saw some things defensively yesterday that DL can use for the rest of the year. Some of the blitz packages were different than I've seen most of this year and really confused the Lions.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busforever View Post
Yes, 2 losses in 5 games is not what we except, especially when we are the defending champions.

But what I see is far from desperate. We controled all five games. We won 3 of them, and we let our oponents win the 2 others. No team eat us, we are controling our destiny.

Defense is suspect in those 4th quarters. But the potential is still there. Something tells me that our experimented players will rise in second half of the season - you know, when it really count, when the field is frozen... James Farrior, Aaron Smith, James Harrison... all those guys will hear the playoff call when we will need the win. It's not an age factor, it's a mental factor. They prove they are solid as rock when it counts. Yeah, they may be a little rusty, like your old uncle in the morning - yeah, the one who have to walk some steps and drink some coffee before everything else.

Yeah, count our young offense as Dewey, Huey and Louie. And our defense, you know, is a sort of uncle Scrooge: bad mood in the begining, making you sure you can't count on him; but in the end he shows a good personality and is a hero in spite of him.

And don't forget Polamalu will be back soon. He is the kind of player who shut the door at the end, making a play when oponent throw his last shot.

Well said!

It's not the start we expected, but we're far from being cellar dwellars (see Tennessee )

The season's loonnng from being over, y'all. We still got time....we're OK.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I wasn't panicking. I thought we've been playing pretty well and caught a few bad breaks and had some poorly timed mistakes. It's not like anyone is running away with the division or anything.

Heh, that reminds me of a couple weeks ago when some cementhead said "the season is basically over" because OMG, how could we ever hope to make up two games on the Ravens. Guess that didn't take long, eh?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

I think the only losses we have are when we beat ourselves. The last real loss was against the Titans last season. Since the SB we have managed to beat ourselves after dominating the opponents in the first half. However, since we are every team's Super Bowl, they fail to roll over like they did last season.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
arge5809
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busforever View Post
Yes, 2 losses in 5 games is not what we except, especially when we are the defending champions.

Well said!!
arge5809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I don't think people are panicking. There are some areas of concern that everyone can see, but the season is far from over.

As long as we have Ben, we have a chance.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

nobody is panicking, weve won our last 2 games, 3 weeks ago ppl were panicking...i will say that everybody is making too big a deal thinkin troy is gonna fix EVERYTHING thats wrong with the D, im tellin u rite now hes not going to be able to fix it all, hell help but were still gonna need more takeaways and pressure on a team besides the lions
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote