Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Seau to the pats.... again...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Linebacker Junior Seau is back with the New England Patriots, coming out of retirement for a third time after agreeing to a one-year contract to play a 20th NFL season.

Financial terms weren't disclosed.

Versus, the television network on which Seau has a show, announced the deal Tuesday. The Patriots haven't officially announced the move, which had been expected, although the team said the 12-time Pro Bowler had a physical and a workout last week. The Patriots also haven't made a roster move to clear space for Seau.

"I hope at some point he will be (with the team)," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said at the NFL Fall League Meeting in Boston. "He's a unique individual. I'd love to have him part of our team for as long as he wants to."

Seau, 40, should have a better chance of standing up to running backs than he did to a rodeo bull, which knocked him down on one of the episodes of "Sports Jobs with Junior Seau." He came out of retirement last year to play the final four games with the Patriots after playing 27 games with them in 2006 and 2007.

One week before New England began its 2009 season, Seau said he'd only consider playing for the Patriots and would be willing to do six games. The team has 11 games left.

"I'm very fortunate and honored to be involved with two class organizations -- the New England Patriots and Versus," Seau said in a statement released by Versus. "I want to thank the management of both for making my return to the NFL with the New England Patriots a reality."

The 10-episode series begins on Dec. 2. Among Seau's activities are riding a Zamboni at a hockey game between the Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals, working as a ballboy along the left-field line for the Los Angeles Dodgers and carrying a golf bag as an LPGA caddy.

Seau's return to the Patriots won't affect his role as host of the series, Versus president Jamie Davis said.

On the Patriots, Seau can provide veteran leadership to a defense that lost safety Rodney Harrison and linebacker Tedy Bruschi to retirement and linebacker Mike Vrabel and Richard Seymour in trades. Seau also provides depth at inside linebacker, a position where the only backup, Eric Alexander, has primarily played on special teams.

The announcement by Versus seemed to catch Patriots coach Bill Belichick off guard on his regular Tuesday conference call with reporters.

"Did I miss it? Did we announce anything?" Belichick questioned Patriots assistant director of media relations Aaron Salkin when asked to comment on the announced signing.

For more on the New England Patriots, check out the latest from our bloggers.

Blog Blitz: Patriots

When told the team hadn't announced it, Belichick said, "I didn't think so. ... We don't have anything to say about it."

Director of player personnel Nick Caserio said on his regular conference call immediately following Belichick's that the Patriots gave Seau a physical and worked him out last week.

"He looked like he's kept himself in shape," Caserio said. "We wanted to make sure, more than anything, from a physical standpoint with the medical information, that he was healthy."

Seau first retired in August 2006 after 13 seasons with the San Diego Chargers and three with the Miami Dolphins.

"I'm not retiring. I am graduating. Today is my graduation day," he said then. "Retirement means that you'll just go ahead and live on your laurels and surf all day in Oceanside (Calif.). It ain't going to happen."

Four days later, Seau signed with the Patriots.

Seau started 10 of the 11 games he played in 2006 before breaking his arm and four of his 16 in 2007. He came out of retirement for a second time for the final four games last season when the Patriots were hit hard by injuries at linebacker.

i heard they where looking at him to re-join them. In related news they also looked a a Brontosaurus to help out on on the Dline. Seriously what is he going to bring to this team?? oh well ....

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,561 Times in 3,985 Posts
Default Re: Seau to the pats.... again...

#1 reason why toilet paper is recyclable.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Junior Seau's rookie card finally found!

MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Leadership, not so much ability, but leadership.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Leadership, not so much ability, but leadership.
Ok, I get that Patriot but as I discussed on your board in the off season...why Trade Vrabel to the Cheifs in the Cassel deal? Vrabel obviously can still play, and at least with him you'd have kept that leadership. Bringing in Seau is good, but really, I don't think it "fixes" things for the Pats on defense. Not that they were looking horrible either, I mean, the Pats defense has been better this season than I expected after all the changes they have made.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
Junior Seau's rookie card finally found!

Christian Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

OK, I stand corrected yet AGAIN...the average age of the Pats* D WAS 28...I think this makes it 38...
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Seau looks like he should be at the top of a totem pole.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Ok, Ok, THIS is the missing puzzle piece to another Super Bowl run...and ancient has-been and a young never-will-be (Bruce Davis)...
Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Chris Berman said that his name should be changed from "Junior" to "Senior" during the pre-game show last weekend (when it was first announced that he was doing a work-out and physical exam for the Pats*)

I agree,Patriot, that he does bring Leadership. But playing QB (Faaav-ra) at 40 versus LB at 40---two vastly different animals...