Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364
Default Does losing Smith for the season change our expectations ?

I steadfastly say no it does not . It should not even affect how we approach our games . I do not expect any drop off in our run defense .We have had the most steady defense for the last few years , and i believe one of the best , if not the best coordinators of all times .
We have a goal to reach , and it takes 53 men to meet that goal . We all knew that going in , and the front office knew that going in , and "Mike ; injuries are part of the game Tomlin " , knows it also .
I think it actually makes the season more interesting to see how we compensate for such a loss . Teams are sure to test that aspect of our game . That is what the NFL is all about , take advantage of the other teams weaknesses . Who is to say it is a weakness at this point ? I believe we have the personel to still maintain our focus on our goal . Bringin home # 7 !

billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Does losing Smith for the season change our expectations ?

If losing one guy costs you any chance of winning the Super Bowl ... then either you didn't have that good of a team in the first place, or you have a gay quarterback who's only good when he's helped by cheating.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

The only catestophic loss we could lose would be Ben. If we lose Ben, then yes, my expectations change.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Steelers are still a capable team without Aaron. They're just a tad weaker on Defense.

BF is correct. The one absolute player the Steelers cannot afford to lose for a lengthy time is Ben. He gives us the chance to compete and win. Even if we don't win, we still have a shot. We don't win XLIII or even make the playoffs without him. Pure and simple.

I hope I didn't jinx it...
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
If losing one guy costs you any chance of winning the Super Bowl ... then either you didn't have that good of a team in the first place, or you have a gay quarterback who's only good when he's helped by cheating.
.... and get "the roughing the puss-ier call" ?
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

We have plenty of other players ready to make their splash , if you will . Now is their chance to do just that . Maybe special teams pick up their game another notch , maybe the offense becomes even more assertive , maybe the players taking over for Smith actually makes a name for themselves .
The point i want to make is that there is more upside , than downside to this scenerio .

billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Smith has a lot of mileage on him and his career may be shortened.

Every team gets injuries, so there is no excuse. However, there is only one more superstar left on defense without injury. One door closes and another one opens. Winning easy will never be a Steelers' trademark.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

There will be a drop off in our defense. The question will be... How much? You cant lose a player that is as good as Smith...replace him with a backup and NOT expect some drop off.

The question then becomes...With the expected loss in production from that side, are we good enough as a defense to stay near the top of the NFL?

I think we are. If for no other reason then that Lebeau will find a way to scheme our defense to overcome for most deficiencies. If Lebeau can somewhat scheme for the loss of Troy, he will somewhat scheme for the loss of Aaron.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

This is when we find out how good Ziggy is. I remember 2007, Smith lost late in the season and our run D went down the toilet. Hopefully Hood, Eason and Kirscke can step up but Smith is the best 3-4 end in the NFL and this loss hurts!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
We have plenty of other players ready to make their splash , if you will . Now is their chance to do just that . Maybe special teams pick up their game another notch , maybe the offense becomes even more assertive , maybe the players taking over for Smith actually makes a name for themselves .
The point i want to make is that there is more upside , than downside to this scenerio .
I don't think that's true, at least in the short term. Player development is great, but not at the expense of losing a Pro Bowl caliber defender in a year when you have a serious shot at the Super Bowl.

Yes, Smith was probably going to retire anyway after a couple more years, and we need to find a successor, but the bottom line is that if you're trying to win a championship, you want to put the best players RIGHT NOW on the field at every opportunity.

I don't think this will kill us as much as it might have in years past, but it's still a big monkey wrench in our plans.