Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Boise State BCS Thread...

Oregons loss tonight hasnt helped the Boise case.

If Oregon went the rest of the season without losing ( other than to Boise) then an interesting debate would have erupted. How would you have separate an undefeated Boise State and a one loss Oregon. It would have to come down to who Oregon lost to (Boise). That scenario would have created maximum chaos for the BCS.

Looks like that problem was solved by Stanford.

Definitely looks like a Bama / Florida vs Texas game now.

Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 11-08-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: edit
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

You know, it's nice to see some conferences let the teams play it out on the field. There IS parity in college football. Sometimes a Stanford BEATS a USC or Oregen. Sometimes a Purdue beats an Ohio State, or a Northwestern upsets an undefeated Iowa. These things happen in conference play...sometimes Arkansas beats Florida....OH....WHOOPS!

Nope, not the last. And the worst part is, the SEC East is so weak this year that Florida was still going to play in the SEC championship game win or lose against Arkansas, which makes the refs handing them the win even more transparent.

Only hope is that Bama wins the conference Championship so a legitimate SEC team plays in the big game.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, still shaping up to be that Florida/Texas match-up.

Florida could beat Bama, but Nebraska ain't beating UT.

That is NOT good for those of us pushing for a playoff...Texas and Florida/Bama clearly play a lot tougher SOS than either Cinci, TCU or Boise, so there is no controversy.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

While Texas has been great this year, they really have not played that tough a schedule. This is why we need a playoff. TCU, Boise, or Cincy doesn't get a chance to prove anything.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Granted, the Big 12 ain't what it has been, it's still a legit BCS conference with some pretty good football teams. Their OOC schedule was iffy, but I didn't see any D1-AA teams on it...and they played OK with Bradford still at QB (although he was knocked out of the game), and with Bradford playing QB Oklahoma is a MUCH better team.

I'm reasonably sure that TCU or Boise would have taken a loss or two had they played in the Big 12, even this year...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Bubby Blister
Water Boy

Member Number: 13565

This is like when a dog chases his tail...

Every year we talk about a smaller conference school who gets snubbed because they're not in the big conferences. Yawn.

Notre Dame should lead the break from the NCAA and start its own playoff system which includes the top 16 teams who are not from the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, PAC 10 and ACC. Let those five conferences have their boring bowls. A 6-6 Northwestern can play a 6-6 Kentucky in the Slim Jim Redneck Bowl.

Eventually, when nobody watches these bowl games, the big conference will join the newly established system. The No One Cares Bowl will just have to close up shop.

The championship game will feature Boise State against TCU in the Snow Bowl in Cleveland, Ohio.
Bubby Blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I'm not talking about those schools getting snubbed....I'm saying that's exactly what they deserve.

Also, I actually like having college football bowl games to watch....some of these less-than-marquee match-ups are often quite good. As a football fan, I love having more football to watch.

I want an 8 team playoff, but I also want to KEEP most of these bowl games. It gives mid-tier teams something to play for. Not many people give a crap about things like the Motor City Bowl or whatever, but for my alma mater that's a VERY big deal and is something to strive for...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

No matter what, you will always have discussions of people getting snubbed, it's a fact of life. I, for one, think these things play themselves out just fine. So we have a UT vs UF/Bama NC game, does anyone else really deserve to play in that game? Not even close. Let TCU/Cincy/BSU play the loser of the UF bama game in a bowl and let's see if they win, then we might have a discussion. Otherwise this year is easy for the NC game.

Now the rest of the BCS bowls is where it gets muddy. I'll stand by my assertion that 2 loss teams should not get bowl bids over undefeated teams regardless of conference.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
No matter what, you will always have discussions of people getting snubbed, it's a fact of life. I, for one, think these things play themselves out just fine. So we have a UT vs UF/Bama NC game, does anyone else really deserve to play in that game? Not even close. Let TCU/Cincy/BSU play the loser of the UF bama game in a bowl and let's see if they win, then we might have a discussion. Otherwise this year is easy for the NC game.

Now the rest of the BCS bowls is where it gets muddy. I'll stand by my assertion that 2 loss teams should not get bowl bids over undefeated teams regardless of conference.
I totally get where you are coming from, but let's break that down a little more. For sake of argument, let's take the Rose Bowl. It's almost a certainty that Oregon will play OSU in the game. Both are two loss teams. Both not only played their conference schedules (not going to discuss the relative strength of that schedule because it can't be controlled), BUT also played at least one serious, legitimate OOC game (which both lost, which shows just how legitimate those OOC teams were).

In many respects, they did everything right, even thought it kind of runs counter to BCS logic....and your position could possible see both teams replaced with a possible undefeated TCU/Boise St or Cinci match-up (please play along with the hypothetical here).

What does a TCU/Boise St match-up tell us? Does it REALLY answer any questions? It's two teams with super soft in conference schedules (one of which, TCU played pretty much NOBODY in OR out of conference, all year).

I could agree with maybe a two loss Oregon versus TCU and a two loss OSU versus Boise, but eliminating the two BCS teams that did everything right simply because they lost two games seems wrong to me.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

I don't mean to suggest they play each other. Let TCU play someone and let BSU play someone else. I think 1 over arching theme should be if you go undefeated you get a huge reward. If OSU goes undefeated they go to the NC, is it so much to ask that if a NonBCS conference team goes undefeated they get to go to a BCS bowl? I don't think.

However, I disagree that Oregon and OSU did everything right, they have 2 losses. If they had just 1 loss the ooc game then I think I would be more torn. They didn't win the OOC game and dropped one in conference as well. I think that should get you bumped.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote