Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369
Default Jerome "THE BUS" Bettis says........

While I was listening to "The Two Live Stews" yesterday (a sports talk radio show here in ATL) Jerome Bettis was on talking about football. When asked about how he felt about MENDENHALL, he mentioned that he likes the young guy and all he needs is more touches and game experience and the only way to get it is to let him play. NIce to here from our future HOF'er. Do you think maybe the coaches could be feeling the same and will FWP be a starter once he comes back from injury???? Two major busts in one draft, I don't think so. One of them will shine and it looks like Mendy will be it if he keeps up his production.

PS- I still haven't given up on SWEED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503
Default Re: Jerome "THE BUS" Bettis says........

What you need to understand is that Bettis is BFF's with Willie Parker and it is Bettis who has whispered into Parker's ear about "taking it easy" in 2009 ... a contract year no doubt, but more critically it's the last year of Parker's current contract.

If FWP blows out a knee this year, he's not getting that next contract from any NFL team!

Thus ... "turf toe"!

And then ... "tender hammy"!

And then ... "back spasms"!

By missing games now, Parker gets what he wants ... a "healthy" ticket out of town.

He is running more tentatively than at any point in his short career.

This is troubling only to the extent that Mendenhall would bust and/or the Steelers would have a deep run into the post-season ... both scenarios which Parker dreads!
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Childers711
Water Boy

Member Number: 14922

I guess I need to address two things. One, if FWP doesn't play well by running too "safely", then he will not get a good payday by leaving. If he gets injured he doesn't get a good payday.

His only option if he is wanting out of town is to play like his career depends on the next long run, because it really does.

Second, I was at Memorial Stadium in Champaign and watched every Mendenhall home game for the Illini. He will be no bust. He is the real deal. I think he just needed time to get up to NFL speed and get used to not being a super star.
Childers711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
What you need to understand is that Bettis is BFF's with Willie Parker and it is Bettis who has whispered into Parker's ear about "taking it easy" in 2009 ... a contract year no doubt, but more critically it's the last year of Parker's current contract.

If FWP blows out a knee this year, he's not getting that next contract from any NFL team!

Thus ... "turf toe"!

By missing games now, Parker gets what he wants ... a "healthy" ticket out of town.

This is troubling only to the extent that Mendenhall would bust and/or the Steelers would have a deep run into the post-season ... both scenarios which Parker dreads!
I missed the part where he ran with purpose. It seems soooo long ago.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:

Thus ... "turf toe"!

I don't know if I am reading this correctly, but it sound like you are saying that

Bettis has told Parker not to play hard.

That Parker is exaggerating his injuries.

That Parker hopes that we do not do well in the playoffs.

Was that you intent?

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Maybe Jerome was explaining how to get placed on IR so he wouldn't get cut.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

I hope that if FWP struggles when he comes back, that the team is not afraid to give Mendenhall a lot of touches. The last thing we need is the team hanging on to the hope that Willie will become 2007 Willie.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
This is definitely the year that this has become more evident. Whether he's taking it easy or just not 100% physically or mentally prepared he's going to be seeing the writing on the wall if Mendenhall continues to perform at the level he's at right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childers711 View Post
I guess I need to address two things. One, if FWP doesn't play well by running too "safely", then he will not get a good payday by leaving. If he gets injured he doesn't get a good payday.
There's always Al Davis and a trip to the West Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289 View Post
I hope that if FWP struggles when he comes back, that the team is not afraid to give Mendenhall a lot of touches. The last thing we need is the team hanging on to the hope that Willie will become 2007 Willie.
The coach can't be afraid to put FWP in a backup role if it helps the team succeed.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Heh, the Raiders comment was exactly what I was thinking. Every player in the league is one lucky play away from winning the Al Davis Lottery.

I still don't buy the theories about Willie "taking it easy" because he doesn't want to get hurt in a contract year. He keeps playing like this, and he'll be out of football next year.

I hope that the coaches are ready to put in whatever running back and whatever offensive scheme is going to help us win, but I still have the feeling that as soon as Parker is declared healthy, it'll be back to Parker-only for the remainder of the season whether he sucks or not. That's become so hard-wired into our thinking that maybe it's all we know. Or maybe we've learned, but old habits die hard, so I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Whether they play Rashard or Willie (or both) this week, I don't know that it will really answer any long-term questions about the running game. This will be the third straight week against a mediocre defense. Don't get me wrong, I hope that we run right over them and rack up a ridiculous score like 56-0 or so... but I really think the next true challege will come when we play the Vikes.

If the Steelers can avoid sacks from Jared Allen and score TDs while holding AP to minimal yards and intercepting Favre... they can beat any team in the league.