Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Brady has been mediocre

ESPN is disrespecting brady???!!! Did the Sun go dark too?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...een-common-tom

Not too terrific: So far he's been Common Tom

October 16, 2009 8:57 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

They call him Tom Terrific.

He's playing more like Average Joe.

A third of the way into the season, as much as it might be sacrilege to point it out, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has been mediocre.

Statistically speaking, Brady is below average in many categories that don't depend on sheer volume.

Brady leads the NFL in pass attempts, which obviously increases associated stats. He's tied for second in completions and fourth in yards.

Yet when it comes to averages and percentages, Average Joe is outperforming him.

Despite hopeful expectations and a thrilling performance to beat the Buffalo Bills on opening night, Brady hasn't approached his record-setting 2007 form.

His top targets from that season, Randy Moss and Wes Welker, are back. The Joey Galloway signing has failed, but Brady has an array of other tools at his disposal at tight end and in the backfield.

Compared to the average NFL quarterback, Brady has the same completion percentage, a slightly lower yards-per-attempt average and slightly fewer touchdowns. Brady's yardage gives him a better passer rating.
By the Numbers: Tom Brady vs. Joe Average
Player Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD INT Sack Rating
Tom Brady 127 207 61.4 1,344 6.5 6 2 5 85.9
Brady NFL Rank 2t 1 17 4 22 14t 23 27t 19
Player Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD INT Sack Rating
Average Joe
97 158 61.4 1,039 6.6 6 4 10 83.9

"We've all got to play better," Brady said Wednesday at his weekly news conference. "I think, as a whole, we've done it in spurts at times and at other times we haven't. When you play like that, there’s a reason why you end up at 3-2 at this time, and we’re trying to make these improvements."

In situational data compiled by ESPN's Stats & Information, Brady also is treading water.
Tom Brady: By the Numbers
Situation Rating Rank
Third down 94.7 8th
Fourth quarter 95.8 17th
Red zone 96.2 15th
<10 yards 87.5 17th
11-20 yards 85.9 22nd
20 yards 47.4 28th
Shotgun 94.2 14th
-- Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Based on passer rating, he ranks eighth on third down, 17th in the fourth quarter (even with that dazzling finish against the Bills), 15th in the red zone, 15th out of the shotgun, 17th on passes thrown 10 yards or shorter, 22nd on passes thrown between 11 and 20 yards and 28th on passes thrown beyond 21 yards or deeper.

The Patriots' longest pass play has been 36 yards. Brady is tied with Jason Campbell for 21st in the NFL with 11 pass plays of 20 yards or longer.

In the second half of New England's two losses, Brady has completed 38.2 percent of his passes for an average of 64.5 yards, which comes to 3.8 yards per attempt. He's thrown zero touchdowns or interceptions.

Brady still seems to be coping with the aftereffects of knee surgery, and his production has suffered. He has wasted numerous big-play opportunities. He's misfiring downfield with Moss and perhaps relies on Welker too much.

"He doesn't move his feet, set, re-plant and throw nearly as well or as comfortably as he did pre-injury," Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson said. "He seems to be seeing the rush rather than feeling it. I also get the feeling that Brady isn't real comfortable with huge men falling all around his lower body in the pocket.

"He reminds me of Peyton Manning a year ago, and he went on to win the league MVP."

For now, Brady is on pace to throw 19.2 touchdown passes, his fewest since 2001, when he started 14 games after taking over for Drew Bledsoe.

"In some ways we've done some very positive things over the five weeks," Brady said. "In a lot of ways, it's been inconsistent, which reflects in the amount of points that we're scoring.

"If we could be more consistent, we'd be scoring more points. We'd be winning more games, and everyone would be feeling a lot better around here. But because that hasn't happened, we're still searching."

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Brady has been mediocre

I know, he's hurting my one FF team!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

No cheating ... no playoffs.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Hmmmm....looks like I scooped ESPN by about a week.

I DO think his injury is effecting him a little...but the fact is, his career averages are probably going to be a lot less stellar than people think, because he benefited from just a couple really solid years. The facts are, he's a little better than average overall, and his numbers are down because he's a little tentative getting back into rhythm...he plays in a QB-friendly system, and just about any QB at this level would excel in it.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Yea i agree Brady is not playing as well as he could be.

When everyone thinks about the best QB's in the NFL its the same 1 and 2 Peyton and Brady....but i think this has changed due to the full season Brady missed last season and his average at best season so far this year.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Brady is probably only REALLY a top 10-15 QB...
Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I think a good experiment would be to put Brady on the Raiders or the Rams and then watch him go all Matt Cassel on your ass...
Old 10-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I think a good experiment would be to put Brady on the Raiders or the Rams and then watch him go all Matt Cassel on your ass...
Cassel already plays for one of the worst teams in the NFL...many of his stats are BETTER than Brady's in spite of that fact.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Brady is going to turn into a media punching bag going from "What's Hot" to "What's Not". He doesn't have much of a team around him anymore, just a shell. Ever since they lost Vinateri they haven't gone deep. The downhill slide is always more painful than the brutal climb up.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Ok, so now the "best QB right now" argument, if it doesn't include Brady...does it still List Ben out of the top 3?

Lets see...Manning of coarse...and now I'm hearing Breese is the man...and then there is love for Eli, oh and Palmer...and is Rivers still better than Ben? Oh and lets not forget Favre and the love fest he'll get if they beat the Ravens this weekend.

Well at least Ben is one of the top 10 QBs in the league right now...isn't he? or am I just being a rabid homer?

I mean
Manning
Breese
Manning
Rivers
Palmer
Favre
McNabb (right cause he's awesome in big games)
Romo (or has he finally been called out as the Choker and Fraud we all know he really is?)
Hasselbeck (right cause he's healthy now!)
Brady (cause you know he's still better than Ben right? I mean...come on right!)
Flacco
Ryan
Warner (although he sucks in Odd Number years)
Cassell (sure he has a losing record but he's on the Chiefs, who would't lose there right?)

Yep...Ben just isn't better than Any of those guys at all...in fact...we should trade him now. Maybe we can get Russell or Campbell for him and a draft pick!

Sarcasm Off