Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers get back ‘the eraser’

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ck-the-eraser/
View From The Press Box

Steelers get back ‘the eraser’

October 16th, 2009

Troy Polamalu, cumbersome knee brace and all, will play Sunday against the Browns barring a setback prior to the 1 p.m. game.

We probably won’t see the Polamalu who made two of the more spectacular plays you will ever see in the Steelers’ Sept. 10 season opener before spraining his left knee in the second quarter.

But even as he works his way back into football shape and deals with a brace that seemed to limit him during practice this week, Polamalu should give the Steelers a dimension they have sorely missed since the five-time Pro Bowler was sidelined.

Here is ESPN NFL analyst Marcellus Wiley’s take on what Polamalu means to the Steelers’ defense.

“He’s called the eraser,” said Wiley, who played 10 seasons in the NFL as a defensive end. “What that means is he’s the last guy who can pretty much eradicate any negative plays by any of the 10 guys in front of him.”

That is not all that Polamalu adds to a defense.

“He’s comfortable enough to completely line up off receivers or maybe show a zone look and back into man coverage,” Wiley said. “He’s comfortable enough to really throw off pre-snap reads for all the quarterbacks. When you don’t have that then you get into a more vanilla-type of defense. I think you’re losing some of the exotic plays you’re used to having.”

How much getting Polamalu back will be offset by the loss of Aaron Smith remains to be seen. And we probably really won’t see how much he is missed in stopping the run until a week from Sunday when a guy Adrian Peterson comes to Pittsburgh.

Here is one last thought from Wiley about the Steelers, and it is on their chances of successfully defending their Super Bowl title.

“When does a team repeat? You’re not saying they can’t but in the same breath you’ve got to expect adversity. I think that’s what’s tough,” Wiley said. “There’s a long road to reaching that same level of success. It comes with ups and downs but this team can still hit its stride, and if the injury bug stays away from it in the latter part of the season the sky’s the limit.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers get back ‘the eraser’

I sure hope we are ready on that side of the line when we play the Vikings. I am sure they will go after that side. It will be a true test to see if we can stop the run without Smith.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I sure hope we are ready on that side of the line when we play the Vikings. I am sure they will go after that side. It will be a true test to see if we can stop the run without Smith.
You have got this right. The Viking game just becase a lot more more difficult without the presence of Smith. I'm very glad it's a home game.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Wiley said. “There’s a long road to reaching that same level of success. It comes with ups and downs but this team can still hit its stride, and if the injury bug stays away from it in the latter part of the season the sky’s the limit.”
This statement is pure gold.

It was enough of a loss with Troy being out for 4 games but now with Aaron out, it becomes more of a challenge as he was the best run defender on that DL. Are the Steelers up for the challenges they face? I hope so. Stay tuned.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Time for Troy to erase out the Brownies!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote