Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Roethlisberger states his case

Steelers Roethlisberger states his case
October 16, 11:36 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...tates-his-case

Ben Roethlisberger has done a lot in his breif six-year career as a quarterback for the Steelers.

He is only the fifth quarterback since the NFL merger in 1970 to lead his team to the conference title game three of his first five seasons. (Roger Staubach, Bernie Kosar, Tom Brady and Donovan McNabb.

He is just the second quarterback in team history to reach15,000 yards passing, joining Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw.

He owns an 8-2 record in the postseason as a starting quarterback and an impressive 62-24 slate as a starter, not to mention the fact he is the only quarterback in NFL history to record two perfect passing games in a season.

And if those aren't impressive enough, Roethlisberger was the youngest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl, and now with two to his name he joins just ten others to accomplish the feat, with all but Jim Plunkett and current Patriots quarterback Tom Brady enshrined in Canton.

But when it comes to Roethlisberger two words best befit him: 'Mr. Clutch.'

Much like his childhood hero John Elway who was the master of fourth quarter/overtime comebacks and the late Johnny Unitas, Roethlisberger is quickly becoming the comeback kid and planting the seeds for a legacy.

“When rubber meets the road he is at his best,” Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. “In those moments he sees (the field) with great clarity. He provides quality plays for us time and time again.”

Last Sunday against the Lions, Roethlisberger showed what he was made of yet again. After tossing an interception that went for a touchdown instead of letting it get to his head on the next series he told offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to put the ball in his hands and let him call the plays.

The result? You guessed it , a touchdown.

"Ben has always been a player," running back Rashard Mendenhall said. :That’s one thing you know, that he is going to lead this team so we come out with him every game.”

“We have a lot of weapons,” Roethlisberger said “And when you have good wide receivers and running backs it is easy to spread it around.”

His latest comeback gem game came against the Titans in week one, when he did it not once but twice.

In the fourth quarter with the Steelers down 10-7, out of the no-huddle he took his team on a 12 –play 56 yard drive which set up Jeff Reed’s 32 yard field goal.

Then in the overtime period, Roethlisberger engineered yet another beauty. He went five of seven for 60 yards, to set up Jeff Reed’s 33-yard game winner.

“You know what it’s crunch time and you have to make big plays at crunch time,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t like doing it, but it’s fun to do it."

That gave him 18 in his brief NFL career, including the historic 78-yard game winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII last year.

“He's one of the best in the game and it’s hard to argue with that,” tight end Heath Miller said. “I've seen him come out victorious more times than not. He doesn't blink, he has a lot of confidence in his game and I think it shows.”

The ability to bring your team back in the fourth quarter is a special thing. While Johnny Unitas mastered the two minute offense and Elway is the king, few quarterbacks have had the poise to do that.

But since doing it for the first time against Cincinnati with an 89-yard 13 play drive in 2004 it has become a staple for him. He seems to thrive on the pressure.

What makes Roethlisberger special though is the fact he shuns the hoopla surrounding his efforts and deferring it instead to his teammates.

His maturity also shows in teh midst of a loss. Take the Bears game for example. He he blamed himself for not getting the team closer so that Jeff Reed, who missed two attemtps, coulad have had a better chance."

"We left some things out there offensively," Roethlisberger said. "We shouldn't have even put Jeff in that position. We should have gone out there and won the game."

But switching back to the opener, its apparent why he has earned the respect of his teammates and personell around the league. Although he had the most prolific game to open the season by a Steeler quarterback with his 363 yards, surpassing Hall of Famer Jim Finks who had 327 back in 1954 against Green Bay, he talked only about the guys who made it possible, his receiving corps and offensive line.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells once said that Roethlisberger is the best quarterback to come into the league since Dan Marino, which was lofty words, while his former coach Bill Cowher said he is like the guy in basketball who wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Titans coach Jeff Fisher said if you give him enough opportunities he going to make plays.

“He’s a winner,” receiver Hines Ward said. “I don’t care about stats; I don’t care about fantasy points. You can’t knock the man for winning and for what he’s done his six years in the league. Fourth quarter he comes back and wins games and everyone wants us to go out and throw the ball all the time. That’s not going to happen we like to run the ball. Ben just feels comfortable with his role.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Steelers Roethlisberger states his case

It feels like I read this stupid peice about 25 other times.........These writers should get fired for re-writing articles........Talk about blowing smoke up someones ass......

Please write something fresh..... Pawlikowski...!!!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
It feels like I read this stupid peice about 25 other times.........These writers should get fired for re-writing articles........Talk about blowing smoke up someones ass......

Please write something fresh..... Pawlikowski...!!!!!
Seriously woot - I hope you're joking.

I could read the same thing about Ben a bazillion times and would never tire of reading it. Though we have many stars on this team, Big Ben IS the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers and I don't think there are many Steelers fans out there who could disagree.

Thanks for the read mesa!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

I could read the same thing about Ben a bazillion times and would never tire of reading it. Though we have many stars on this team, Big Ben IS the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers and I don't think there are many Steelers fans out there who could disagree.

You right. Ben has gone from a game manager to the backbone of the team in just a year. Of course most of us here, but not all, already knew that.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

No homey, what I mean is this peice is just stale.......We all know what Ben is , I hope.......I just wish we could get some fresh articles around here about some progressive things..........I feel like this article was written a bunch of other times by other authors.........

Ben is really blosoming into his full potential......He still has stuff to pick up though,and he knows it.......He keeps his mind open and gets better every year.......