Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Browns may offer challenge for champs BY JIM WEXELL

Browns may offer challenge for champs
BY JIM WEXELL
For The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/pros...290234936.html

PITTSBURGH — Dreary news greeted the Steelers last week with the loss of Aaron Smith, and the sun hasn’t come out since.

Troy Polamalu returned, but, judging from practice, he won’t be the same player he was in the opener. He might be half that on today against the visiting Cleveland Browns.

Willie Parker returned from his turf toe injury and tested his new steel-enforced shoe, but his hard-running replacement, Rashard Mendenhall, wrestled with the flu.

It’s been a damp, rainy and cold week in Pittsburgh, one that has ‘Cleveland Browns’ stamped all over it. Off the signs, few would be surprised by a strong effort from the Steelers’ northern rivals.

“They may have some issues on offense,” said Steelers tackle Willie Colon, “but on film they’re playing decent. They’re playing hard.”

Quarterback Derek Anderson has actually fared well against the Steelers. Last year he had the Browns at the Pittsburgh 20 facing 4th-and-7 with 3:24 left, but his coach – his former coach – opted for a field goal in the 10-6 loss.

In the 2007 opener, Anderson played well enough in relief of starter Charlie Frye to send Frye packing in a trade. And in the second game that season, at Heinz Field, Anderson drove the Browns late, but Phil Dawson missed a 52-yard field goal attempt in a 3-point Steelers win.

Anderson hasn’t beaten the Steelers, but he’s performed better than most Browns during the Steelers’ 11-game win streak.

That’s why few Steelers believe his 2-for-17 passing performance last week in 6-3 win at windy Buffalo is a sign of what’s to come.

“It was a fluky thing for Derek,” said Ben Roethlisberger.

“He’s a good quarterback.”

The problem for Anderson in Buffalo wasn’t so much the wind, but the nine drops

– according to The Associated Press – by his receivers. It’s a corps that’s been depleted by the trade of Kellen Winslow in February, the release of Joe Jurevicius in March, the sentencing of Donte Stallworth in June, the injury to Syndric Steptoe in August and the trade of Braylon Edwards 10 days ago.

Those players accounted for 65 percent of the team’s total passing yardage and 64 percent of the touchdown catches last season.

Anderson now throws to rookie receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, along with veteran backups Josh Cribbs, Mike Furrey and Chansi Stuckey.

It’s a group that shouldn’t threaten a Steelers defense that can instead concern itself with stopping rejuvenated running back Jamal Lewis.

“That’s what you guys said about Chicago,” Steelers free safety Ryan Clark told reporters who thought Bears quarterback Jay Cutler would be limited by his inexperienced wide receivers.

Yet, the Steelers had to respect the speed of the Bears’ receivers. Against the Browns, they’ll encounter Massaquoi, who ran a 4.66 40 at the pre-draft combine, and Robiskie, who ran a 4.59.

They’re clearly slower than the Bears’ 4.2 sprinters.

“Well, which one of the Chicago receivers ran by us?” Clark asked, knowing the answer was none.

“That’s the thing you guys have to realize: There’s like one Mike Wallace in the world. He’s that guy who’s so fast that no matter what you do he’s probably going to beat you deep unless you turn around and run.

“But these other guys who clock at 4.2, 4.3, if you play your technique and if you study film and know ‘this is the formation where those guys go deep,’ you don’t have to back up. You just need to do your job. These guys, they go get it.”

Massaquoi has only 11 receptions for 195 yards this season, but Clark pointed out that the second-rounder from Georgia caught eight passes for 148 yards two weeks ago in the Browns’ overtime loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

With Lewis running hard again, and Cribbs returning kicks, and the young receivers in rebound mode, it’s possible the Browns’ offense won’t be as bad as the 1-4 record and laughable stats might indicate.

In fact, it’s possible – even plausible – that Cleveland’s NFL-worst run defense can right itself behind Shaun Rogers and stop a Steelers running attack that could be confused by the return of Parker.

The division of labor at running back is yet another question mark for the Steelers, who’ll stack it alongside the Smith loss and the Polamalu recovery.

It just might be another week on the edge for the defending champs.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Browns may offer challenge for champs BY JIM WEXELL

Quote:
It just might be another week on the edge for the defending champs.
I really don't take any team for granted and I'm certainly not going to do so this week either. I hope the Steelers don't either, because a desperate team is a dangerous team no matter how you slice it.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I really don't take any team for granted and I'm certainly not going to do so this week either. I hope the Steelers don't either, because a desperate team is a dangerous team no matter how you slice it.
Absolutely correct!

every team we play is a professional football team with talent.... some more than others, but nevertheless....
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Steelers should take any team seriously even wether if it's the Browns or not.

Crazier crap has happened to the Steelers.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

If the Raiders could beat us in 2006 ... well, I guess that goes to show how dangerous it is to look past ANYBODY.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Don't forget the 1-8 Jets in 2007 either. Also coached by the Mangina.

I don't think a trap game at home is possible, but today seems to be the fact. It's a trap game at home against Cleveland.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

The Clowns always give there best against the Steelers and today won't be any different. Anderson knows our defense well and the team will be ready. Im not taking them for granted and I expect this to be another close call.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

If the Browns get their running game going (SEE MINUS Aaron Smith) we could be in for a long day. Having said this I think our running attack will prevail. Mix in some deep balls and it should (the keyword is SHOULD) be over in the third. And no I haven't forgotten our 4th quarter let downs.Troy's back,not 100% but he is back. I think we'll see a more aggressive pass rush today.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote