Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cleveland's offense gets a Wildcat infusion

Cleveland's offense gets a Wildcat infusion
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_648720.html
By Mark Kaboly
Daily News Sports Editor
Monday, October 19, 2009

When your offense produces such futile numbers from the quarterback position like it did last week, something has to be done.

For Cleveland coach Eric Mangini, he finally relented and dusted off his most dynamic weapon in Joshua Cribbs and unveiled a heavy does of the "Wildcat" for the first time Sunday at Heinz Field against the Steelers.

Cribbs lined up as the quarterback in the Wildcat offense for eight of Cleveland's first 14 offensive plays. Those plays resulted in 37 yards, three first downs and one of Cleveland's deepest penetrations of the game to the Steelers' 13 late in the first quarter.

"Aggressive defenses over-run things," said Cribbs about why the Wildcat worked against the Steelers. "Our coaches tried to get me the ball and make things happen."

But all of that went away with one flick of the wrist.

Cribbs, who threw 55 touchdown passes during his collegiate career at Kent State, threw a pass in the right flat intended for Chansi Stuckey that was intercepted by Troy Polamalu.

For the next three-plus quarters, the Browns ran only five more Wildcat plays as they fell to the Steelers, 27-14.

"I have to make better decisions and not try to do too much," said Cribbs, who would later return a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. "It is unacceptable. I don't feel that I did good enough."

Cribbs led the Browns with 45 yards rushing, but the Wildcat was practically invisible after the Polamalu interception.

"To run the Wildcat after that, they had to feel comfortable with me and that I was going to make the proper decision running it," Cribbs said. "I had to assure them that I would."

Save for a season-opening goal-line series against the Minnesota Vikings, the Browns have used the Wildcat formation very little this year.

Still, the Steelers weren't shocked to see it.

"We expected to see some of it, but not as much as they ended up giving us," Steelers linebacker James Harrison said.

The Browns used the formation multiple times in only three of their 12 drives. There was a reason for that, according to Cribbs.

"We didn't want to run it out to the point where they had an answer for it," he said. "We wanted to hit them every other play or every other drive to keep them on their toes."

Added Mangini: "I don't necessarily think (the Wildcat) is going to be the cornerstone of our offense."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772
Default Re: Cleveland's offense gets a Wildcat infusion

The wildcat works against the Steelers? That was one game
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
bradness113
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1962

i was gettin soo pissed off wen they kept runnin the WC. i felt like i was in a bad game of madden 10, with a noob who ran the WC every play cuz they couldnt do anything else....

lol
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
toughsticks87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14874

Wildcat = fad
toughsticks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It only worked that one time when Cribbs got about 11 yards then after that we shut it down. I am not a big fan of it.