Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger's status cut in stone

Roethlisberger's status cut in stone
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...-Browns-column
This article has been read 198 times.

PITTSBURGH - For much of the past decade, the Mt. Rushmore for quarterbacks included the faces of Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

They were, and probably still are, considered the holy trinity of quarterbacking in the new millennium.

But if Ben Roethlisberger's second Super Bowl victory last February wasn't cause for the stone masons to start carving a new face on the mountainside, his play thus far this season certainly has.

Roethlisberger put together another ridiculous performance Sunday in the Steelers' 27-14 victory over Cleveland at Heinz Field, completing 23 of 35 passes for 417 yards and two touchdowns.
"He's really good. He's in total control of the offense," said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. "It's fun to watch at times."

At other times, you can only watch in awe as another opponent is picked apart by an offense that is supposed to thrive on the running game alone.

The Steelers had a rushing attack against the Browns, gaining a season-high 140 yards on the ground, but it was on the right arm of Roethlisberger - as has been the case all season - on which this game was won.

"I think our quarterback is a pretty special player and we like it when the ball is in his hands," said tight end Heath Miller.

With a 72.5 completion percentage, and 1,887 yards passing through six games, Roethlisberger is on pace to shatter pretty much every single-season team passing record except touchdown passes. And those, too, are likely to start coming more often if the Steelers continue to throw the ball at their current pace.

Right now, the only thing stopping the Steelers are turnovers.

With four more - one interception, three fumbles - the Steelers have committed 12 turnovers in six games. That's way too many and something this team must rectify.

"I was disappointed that we got some short fields and we fumbled the ball away and dropped two touchdown passes right before the half," said Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "We've still got a lot of work to do. The points didn't match the performance. When we put it all together, we can be pretty doggone good."

They can indeed.

No longer can opponents load up to stuff the run and stop the Steelers.

Nor can they simply double team wide receiver Hines Ward and shut down Pittsburgh's passing game.

At their current pace, the Steelers will have three 1,000-yard receivers in Ward, Santonio Holmes and Miller. This from a team that often struggled to have only one 1,000-yard receiver.

And running back Rashard Mendenhall, despite getting only a handful of carries in Pittsburgh's first three games, is on pace for almost 1,000 rushing yards. He will likely get 1,000, if he stays healthy.

But everything the Steelers do comes back to Roethlisberger, the trigger man for this offense.

"This is the best I've seen him play," said Miller. "I've seen him play pretty darn good sometimes. I just think that the more you do something, the more comfortable you are with it and Ben has full command of this offense. ... He just keeps getting better and better."

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: Roethlisberger's status cut in stone

"But if Ben Roethlisberger's second Super Bowl victory last February wasn't cause for the stone masons to start carving a new face on the mountainside, his play thus far this season certainly has."

Start the cutting boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
WindyCitySteelerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10940

No doubt. The "cutting" as you said is already being etched, or at least its being drawn.

Personally, I can't imagine the team without Ben. I wouldn't trade him for any single other QB in the league.

I'm totally sold, and wacko-for-Ben-O
WindyCitySteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCitySteelerFan View Post
No doubt. The "cutting" as you said is already being etched, or at least its being drawn.

Personally, I can't imagine the team without Ben. I wouldn't trade him for any single other QB in the league.

I'm totally sold, and wacko-for-Ben-O
nice try
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,275 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Just another great article on Ben. Thanks for the read Mesa.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

"Right now, the only thing stopping the Steelers are turnovers.

With four more - one interception, three fumbles - the Steelers have committed 12 turnovers in six games."

Ouch....not good.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

As I recently stated in another thread - Big Ben IS the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers. There isn't another QB in this league who makes a hair on his hiney.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
As I recently stated in another thread - Big Ben IS the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers. There isn't another QB in this league who makes a hair on his hiney.
I agree completely, but there are still some morons out there that still think of him as a game manager. I actually heard Michal Irvin say if Ben throws over 30 times the Steelers are in trouble, just a week ago. Luckily I only had a towel in my hand and it didn't hurt the TV at all.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I agree completely, but there are still some morons out there that still think of him as a game manager. I actually heard Michal Irvin say if Ben throws over 30 times the Steelers are in trouble, just a week ago. Luckily I only had a towel in my hand and it didn't hurt the TV at all.
Michael Irvin: recovered Crack Head. Or is he? There are some players who had a lot of God given talent (and never pushed off-wink wink) but that doesn't make them a football analyst He's T.O. with people skills.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Michael Irvin: recovered Crack Head. Or is he? There are some players who had a lot of God given talent (and never pushed off-wink wink) but that doesn't make them a football analyst He's T.O. with people skills.

Irving is a POS! You hit the nail on the head. 90% of his catches came off him pushing the defender away to make the catch.

Don't get me started about the crack use!