Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832
Default The Game against the Vikes Will have ultimate match ups

All year long I had been looking forward for this game, and even wanting to go to it but tickets prices are ridiculous right now. Anyway back to the subject, I think this game against the Vikings will be one of the defining points of our season. Its not our make or break, but it definitely brings back a slight feel of having an extremely tough opponent like we had all of last season.

Now Regarding match ups, I think all of the positions will have an amazing challenge against each other and Ill go over some of them.

Steelers front 7 against the Vikings line and Adrian Peterson- Lets face it, this is going to be one of the defining factors of the game. The Vikings mammoth O-line with McKinnie ,Loadholt, and Hutchinson is going to provide a pure challenge to Harrison and Woodley along with Farrior and Timmons. Harrison is going to get held a lot because a 6'8 monster blocking 6'0 Harrison its gonna give the edge to McKinnie and lets face it, he will hold him and wrap his arm around his neck, so lets get ready for that. Also If Kiesel Hampton and Kirschke cant get a push or maintain their gap control then Farrior and Timmons will suffer and Peterson will be flying all over the field. I say the match up advantage is a push, but the first one to make a mistake will pay dearly.

Steelers O-line against the Vikes Front 7- This can turn into a nightmare if the Steelers O-line doesnt play well. Their front 7 is a mere Image of our front 7 in certain Terms. When you have Edwards the 2 Williams brothers, Jared Allen as well as Greenway, henderson, and Leber. Thats a stout front 7. Anyway Max Starks will prove his moneys worth against Jared Allen, lets hope he can keep ben upright and I dont see Mendy or Parker having a big day on the ground. Advantage- Vikes, but lets hope the o line plays the best games of their lives.

Big Ben and Co vs Vikes Secondary- I think this is where we can win our game. As great as the Vikes front 7 can be this is the one part where we can just burn the Vikings and come away with a win. With the way Mason ran on them last game I can see Ward and Holmes doing the exact same and then more. Advantage Steelers.

Lord Favre against our secondary- Plain and simple, if we can get to Favre and contain Peterson he will self Destruct against us. But if he gets time in the pocket or get some play action passes then were in trouble. Let hope our Secondary can Play 4 quarters of defense, since Favres late game heroics will burn us if the D doesnt step up. I pray that Polamalu does what he did last time against green bay and just give him hell.

X factors I guess the gamebreakers for The steelers can be Stefan Logan and Mike Wallace. The Vikings sometimes slip up on Special teams and i think well get a TD from that. Regarding the Vikes, Percy Harvin will provide a great test for the ST unit to maintain him from breaking the big one.

Anyway those are my thoughts and opinions, feel free to comment mine or add your own comments. Im looking forward to this game all the way. Here we got Steelers

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: The Game against the Vikes Will have ultimate match ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
All year long I had been looking forward for this game, and even wanting to go to it but tickets prices are ridiculous right now. Anyway back to the subject, I think this game against the Vikings will be one of the defining points of our season. Its not our make or break, but it definitely brings back a slight feel of having an extremely tough opponent like we had all of last season.

Now Regarding match ups, I think all of the positions will have an amazing challenge against each other and Ill go over some of them.

Steelers front 7 against the Vikings line and Adrian Peterson- Lets face it, this is going to be one of the defining factors of the game. The Vikings mammoth O-line with McKinnie ,Loadholt, and Hutchinson is going to provide a pure challenge to Harrison and Woodley along with Farrior and Timmons. Harrison is going to get held a lot because a 6'8 monster blocking 6'0 Harrison its gonna give the edge to McKinnie and lets face it, he will hold him and wrap his arm around his neck, so lets get ready for that. Also If Kiesel Hampton and Kirschke cant get a push or maintain their gap control then Farrior and Timmons will suffer and Peterson will be flying all over the field. I say the match up advantage is a push, but the first one to make a mistake will pay dearly.

Steelers O-line against the Vikes Front 7- This can turn into a nightmare if the Steelers O-line doesnt play well. Their front 7 is a mere Image of our front 7 in certain Terms. When you have Edwards the 2 Williams brothers, Jared Allen as well as Greenway, henderson, and Leber. Thats a stout front 7. Anyway Max Starks will prove his moneys worth against Jared Allen, lets hope he can keep ben upright and I dont see Mendy or Parker having a big day on the ground. Advantage- Vikes, but lets hope the o line plays the best games of their lives.

Big Ben and Co vs Vikes Secondary- I think this is where we can win our game. As great as the Vikes front 7 can be this is the one part where we can just burn the Vikings and come away with a win. With the way Mason ran on them last game I can see Ward and Holmes doing the exact same and then more. Advantage Steelers.

Lord Favre against our secondary- Plain and simple, if we can get to Favre and contain Peterson he will self Destruct against us. But if he gets time in the pocket or get some play action passes then were in trouble. Let hope our Secondary can Play 4 quarters of defense, since Favres late game heroics will burn us if the D doesnt step up. I pray that Polamalu does what he did last time against green bay and just give him hell.

X factors I guess the gamebreakers for The steelers can be Stefan Logan and Mike Wallace. The Vikings sometimes slip up on Special teams and i think well get a TD from that. Regarding the Vikes, Percy Harvin will provide a great test for the ST unit to maintain him from breaking the big one.

Anyway those are my thoughts and opinions, feel free to comment mine or add your own comments. Im looking forward to this game all the way. Here we got Steelers
Steelers front 7 vs. Vikings line and Peterson- Steelers

Steelers O-line vs. Vikings front 7- I'm thinking deadlock early, Steelers win late.

Big Ben, WRs vs Vikings secondary- Steelers

Farve vs. Steelers secondary- both will make plays I believe, Steelers secondary makes crucial plays down the stretch.

Steelers baby.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Best part of it all is that the game is not at 4:15.

This is a great matchup to see where the 2009 Steelers stand as a team. Going up against one of the unbeatens and the media darling Minnesota Favres.

Minnesota's D-Line will test the O-Line and see if they are truly improved or not. Though I don't like Starks' chances against Jared Allen.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Best part of it all is that the game is not at 4:15.

This is a great matchup to see where the 2009 Steelers stand as a team. Going up against one of the unbeatens and the media darling Minnesota Favres.

Minnesota's D-Line will test the O-Line and see if they are truly improved or not. Though I don't like Starks' chances against Jared Allen.
We'll just use a back (Mendy, Willie, Memo) or a TE (Spaeth) to help out on Allen.

We'll even use that play where we let the end come up the field and use a quick handoff.

That play usually gets us 7-10 yrds a play. The screen game will slow their pass rush.

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

More than anything, I'm worried about Jared Allen. The O-Line is playing a lot better than they were last year... but they are still giving up periodic sacks and hits on Ben. Allen is a beast and if he's not contained, this game could turn out like that awful one in Philly last season. If we can hold him off, then I wholeheartedly believe that Ben can beat the secondary. If an overrated QB like Flacco almost can, Ben shouldn't have issues there.

One thing that I really like is that we DO have homefield advantage, and no team can play better on our turf than the Steelers (and unlike typical homefield advantages, this one is actually a relevant statistic since Heinz Field is so tough to play on).
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
TampaSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12183

Favre has yet to throw one of his patented, backbreaking late game interceptions so far this season. He is LONG overdue! Its gonna happen in this game and seal a 24-20 win for the Steelers.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
Steelers front 7 vs. Vikings line and Peterson- Steelers

Steelers O-line vs. Vikings front 7- I'm thinking deadlock early, Steelers win late.

Big Ben, WRs vs Vikings secondary- Steelers

Farve vs. Steelers secondary- both will make plays I believe, Steelers secondary makes crucial plays down the stretch.

Steelers baby.
I'm not sure how their front 7 couldn't be favored over our O-line. Granted, the O-line has played well in the past few games, but we'll have to see how they fare against one of the best front 7's in the NFL. I think this game could resemble the physical, beat the other team up, type games that we have bi-annually with the Ravens.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

the steelers main problem against the run is they over-pursue. if peterson cuts back(which he is good at) he will have a monster day.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I think the key matchup is going to be our passing game against their secondary. Vikings haven't really shown they can shut down anyone with a halfway decent offense, so that's where we can do some damage.

I'm less worried about Peterson than about Favre -- if the 49ers and Packers could basically keep him contained (even though not completely under wraps), I feel good because we've undoubtedly got a better defense than that.

This is going to be a real test for our O-Line, especially in the running game. I have a feeling, though, that we'll have to beat them through the air.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I want to scream a steady burst of curse words right now, but I'll be cool...

Next Sunday, the mutherfarging Browns are playing the Pack....at one.....ON FOX! I FINALLY get a Fox game and the gawdawful POS shitstains are polluting the channel at the same time? Are you KIDDING me?

Anyway, back to the analysis...I have our DL v their OL as the key match-up...w/o Smith our run stopping ability could be questionable against a REAL RB.