Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Jury is still out on Steelers

ERIC KNOPSNYDER | Jury is still out on Steelers
By ERIC KNOPSNYDER
The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/pros...293002022.html

PITTSBURGH — At first glance, the Pittsburgh Steelers seemed to earn a passing grade in their first game without defensive end Aaron Smith, but coach Mike Tomlin said it was more like an incomplete.

Tomlin said that game film would do a better job of determining if Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason were really up to the task.

“Just a knee-jerk response today – yes,” Tomlin said Sunday when asked if he was happy with the play of Kirschke and Eason. “Again, we’ll let the tape do the talking for us, and I’ve yet to evaluate the tape and the minute details that are critical to playing that position well. That’s what Aaron excels at. We’ll wait until we look at the tape before we pass the judgment on the quality of their play, but overall as a unit, I thought we were above the line.”

Tomlin’s point about “the minute details that are critical to playing” defensive end in the 3-4 defense is an important one. Smith isn’t a household name outside of Pittsburgh because he doesn’t have impressive stats to support him. He’s only been named to one Pro Bowl – after recording a career high eight sacks in 2004-05 – but ask just about any Steeler and they’ll tell you that Smith is as important as anyone to the success of the defense.

James Harrison was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year last season, and Troy Polamalu is a five-time Pro Bowl pick, but the often-unheralded Smith is the one that Polamalu himself called “irreplaceable” last week.

So Kirschke and Eason, who is now backing up Kirschke, have accepted the challenge of attempting to play at Smith’s level without trying to do too much.

“You lose a great player like Aaron Smith, who has been an anchor of this defense for a long time, you can’t put a Superman on your chest and try to go out and make plays,” Eason said. “If you do that, you generally play out of the framework of the defense. And Aaron didn’t do that. Aaron played within the framework of the defense and made the plays that came to him. That was our job (Sunday) – just go out and play technique, and the plays would come to us.”

The Steelers’ 27-14 victory over the Browns on Sunday was their first game since Smith, who has a torn rotator cuff, was placed on the injured reserve list. And it was the first start of the season for Kirschke, who thought the defense played well but – like Tomlin – wanted to check game film before throwing around any kudos.

“I felt good,” Kirschke said. “I kind of tweaked my back last week, so I was concerned about how long I would last. But it actually felt really good. I felt good until I got a little stinger in my neck, but that stuff heals up quickly.”

Think Smith gets overlooked in the Steelers defense? Try being Kirschke. Despite being in his 13th NFL season – including the past six with the Steelers – the 35-year-old has his name spelled wrong at least seven times in the team’s media guide.

And it’s not as if Kirschke hasn’t gotten playing time with the Steelers. He’s played in every game since joining the Steelers in 2004 and made his 12th start with Pittsburgh on Sunday. It looks like he’ll see the majority of time at left end with Eason substituting as needed.

The fact that first-round draft pick Ziggy Hood – who the Steelers are very high on – hasn’t been able to crack the rotation says something about how difficult it is to play the position.

It also says something about the confidence the Steelers have in Kirschke and Eason.

“The did a great job (Sunday),” Polamalu said.

The Steelers held the Browns to 91 rushing yards despite facing an offense that often had Joshua Cribbs lining up in the wildcat formation in an effort to be more effective on the ground, which was why Polamalu was reserving judgment on the defensive ends until after next week’s game with Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings.

“(The Browns) didn’t really attack us in a true running-style offense, only in that wildcat,” Polamalu said. “It will be a big test for us this next week coming up, when you have a downhill-running team.”

Maybe that incomplete grade will be around a bit longer after all.

Eric Knopsnyder is the sports editor of The Tribune-Democrat.
print this story
Add a comment on this story
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Jury is still out on Steelers

From afar, I thought Eason and Kirschke did a decent job, but I'm with Troy here - I'm going to wait until after the Vikes game with Peterson running the ball before I critique 'em.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
From afar, I thought Eason and Kirschke did a decent job, but I'm with Troy here - I'm going to wait until after the Vikes game with Peterson running the ball before I critique 'em.
There are not many backs out there that present a better test than AP, that's for sure.
Every now and then you hear someone from the press bring up Aaron Smith and talk about how valuable he is. That's why I think Ziggy needs to learn fast. Whether we like it or not, this is a serious injury. I torn mine and it takes awhile. I didn't have the great medical staff he'll have but it could very well end his career.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
There are not many backs out there that present a better test than AP, that's for sure.
arent many? you mean there arent ANY. i dont care who you root for. right now, peterson is the best back in the league and i dont even think its close. looking forward to see how our D plays to the challenge
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

ya even against OUR defense, i see peterson being able to have some success, its just how MUCH success he has that will determine the game, eason and kirschke did an ok job, i dont get to see the film so i dont know either, im just glad we got troy back, and wats the first thing he does??? picks off a pass, i swear, if he had been healthy all season so far, he would win defensive player of the year at the end, hes a beast, and im glad hes back, i could care less that willies back, he was below average, mendenhall wasnt exactly ladainian tomlinson out there, but performed better than FWP
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelC7 View Post
ya even against OUR defense, i see peterson being able to have some success, its just how MUCH success he has that will determine the game, eason and kirschke did an ok job, i dont get to see the film so i dont know either, im just glad we got troy back, and wats the first thing he does??? picks off a pass, i swear, if he had been healthy all season so far, he would win defensive player of the year at the end, hes a beast, and im glad hes back, i could care less that willies back, he was below average, mendenhall wasnt exactly ladainian tomlinson out there, but performed better than FWP
that's a bad thing?
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote