Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: Hello all, Mike Tomlin just announced that Jeff Reed will kick Sunday. Why the difference between him and Santonio Holmes? You can read my take on it in PG Plus this afternoon. Mike Tomlin's reasoning is that Holmes was arrested Thursday night and Reed on Sunday night. What, you don't get the difference? Let's chat about it.

bg_steel: Hi Ed, What is the team saying on the Matt Spaeth and Jeff Reed situation?

Ed Bouchette: The usual. Nothing. Actually, Mike talked a little today about why Reed will kick on Sunday. Last season, he benched Holmes after his arrest. He said because Reed was arrested early in the week, it won't become a distraction while Holmes did become a distraction because it happened on a Thursday night. Got that?

SWP_is_done: Ed, would you agree that Willie Parker hasn't been the same player since he broke his leg in 07?

Ed Bouchette: He looked pretty good at the start of the 2008 season when he rushed for 243 yards and three touchdowns in the first two games. Then, he hurt his knee and that may have been the start of it.

James_Taiwan: Ed, how do you see the Steelers season turning out after the bye week? Considering 6 of their last nine games are against teams that are current .500 or below.

Ed Bouchette: You mean like winless Tennessee (3 point win in OT)? This team has the ability to play up or down to their competition, as they've shown. Don't forget that Denver comes after the bye, plus two Baltimore games, which is .500. They also have to play at Miami.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Good Afternoon Ed! I had the pleasure of attending my first Steelers game at Heinz Field this past Sunday. I'd like the opportunity to say that Steelers fans are the best fans!! I drove 6 hours to get there and 6 back, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! The fans, the employees at Heinz were all great! Thank you for your hospitality!!!

Ed Bouchette: You are welcome, Mr. Rooney.

MendenhallsDaMan: With the vaunted 'Williams Wall' coming to town, is this the week we maybe see some "Wildcat" formations w/ Dixon in there? I'd hate to see Ben have to throw it 40+ times.

Ed Bouchette: They do not have the wildcat in their playbook and why would you hate to see Ben throw it 40 times the way he's been throwing it?

polamalu43: Ed, has Jeff Reed just lost his chance of getting signed by Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: I think that chance might have passed a while ago, before the season started.

Cut_Jeff_Reed: Ed, how is Jeff Reed still on this team? It is clear that the only time the word character can be mentioned in a sentence about him is if it comes after the word "NO." Our organization is built on a foundation of values and class and beating up paper towel dispensers, fighting with police, and being a drunk do not qualify. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Does shooting at police helicopters qualify, the way Ernie Holmes did in the 1970s and remained on the team?

MPM: Do you think the league will suspend Jeff Reed as a result of the incident on Sunday night?

Ed Bouchette: I think they will wait to see what might happen in the courts first.

public_urination: Hello Ed, Does Jeff Reed have a drinking problem, or does Spaeth have a going problem?

Ed Bouchette: Pittsburgh police seem to think they did Sunday night.

merodio: Hi Ed, I know you are 6-0 in your Steelers game picks, but let me tell you that your streak will be over, cause the Steelers will win on Sunday. Do you still think Favre and the Vikes will get away with a victory in our soil?

Ed Bouchette: Yes

Beachbum: A non-Jeff Reed question ... any improvements from Tony Hills?

Ed Bouchette: He's still waiting to get a "hat" on Sundays.

Weinberg17: Eddie. My man. Hows life? Did Ziggy Hood get any playing time this past Sunday? If so, any feedback from the team or from you?

Ed Bouchette: He played some and Mike Tomlin said he did OK.

Bob_in_CA: Hi Ed, can the Steelers run against the front 4 of the Vikings?

Ed Bouchette: The Vikings nosed out the Steelers as the top run defense in the NFL last season. Today they are 8th. The Steelers won't shy away from the run, but they no longer are an offense that will bash its head repeatedly into a wall until it starts crumbling. I would expect some liberal passing.

dcat: Are the Steelers calling passing plays for Mike Wallace, or is he making plays as the 2nd or 3rd option?

Ed Bouchette: When you see Mike run a "go," he is the No. 1 option. Other than that, he normally is not.

merodio: Ed, who can replace Reed if he gets penalized with some games this season?

Ed Bouchette: Let's not go overboard. I do not think he will be suspended and if he is it would not be for games but 1 game at most. They'd have to sign someone, perhaps Piotr Czech.

Beachbum: Many of us groaned at the Hartwig extension but he appears to be playing better. Is it possible the front office knew more than us devoted fans?

Ed Bouchette: Never!

Beachbum: Matt Spaeth appears to be a Steeler for his catching prowess yet he only seems to be used to block which is not his forte. Will we possibly see more of David Johnson in two TE sets?

Ed Bouchette: Matt Spaeth was a pass-catching whiz early-on, then ignored basically as a receiver since.

merodio: What are your thoughts about the controversial Steelers 1st down when they measure it, and it seems they didn't get it?

Ed Bouchette: I think the refs had a better look at it than anyone else and they ruled he got it.

50_JohnReger: Isn't the wildcat offense the same as the old single wing offense? The single wing tailback could run, pass or hand off, just like today's wildcat.

Ed Bouchette: Yes, but anyone under 65 will not know what you are talking about.

polamalu43: Ed, any Steelers trade news before 4 p.m. deadline?

Ed Bouchette: I would not expect any trade news. When I asked Kevin Colbert about the trading deadline he asked me when it was. That was his way of saying there will be no trades.

bama: Is Polamalu healthy enough to be playing right now? Will he ever fully heal from injury this season if he keeps playing?

Ed Bouchette: Do I look like Marcus Welby, MD? If he weren't healthy enough, he would not be playing. I'm sure his knee is not the same as it was before the injury and playing/practicing is not going to speed the recovery along. but this is football and you only have so much time, which is how Polamalu himself explained it last week.

Burgh2Burg: Ed, with the offense and defense both being in the top 5 of the NFL, would you say this team is better than last year's team at week 7?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know about better, but perhaps in better position to get better. I think this offense can be dynamic as long as the line holds up. the defense may not be as good as last year's but it still is a good defense. You combine them and you might indeed have a better team. But they have to go out and show it, which last year's team did.

ajt123: How does the new grass seem to be holding up at Heinz Field so far?

Ed Bouchette: They replaced the sod between the college hash marks right after Sunday's game.

Burgh2Burg: Ed, is RM the starting tailback from here on out, barring injury?

Ed Bouchette: I would say that, yes, adding only barring poor performance as well.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

MendenhallsDaMan: Pats 59-0. Case of running it up or has Tennessee just quit on the season?

Ed Bouchette: You mean Bill Belichick would run up a score?

rbird: Hey Ed, I've got a big problem with Jeff Reed's agent. I know his job is to defend him but his comments are a joke. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: What if his comments were true? Why could they not be true? I'm not taking either side but they are both worth listening too. Do you remember reading anything about over-reaction during the G-20 and the DA now dismissing cases of many who were arrested? Shocking, I know.

Mile_Hi_Stiller: I'm not sure that I see the difference in something happening on Thursday versus Sunday. The important thing is what took place. What did he say about Spaeth? Perhaps Spaeth could kick and Reed could block based on their extra circulars?

Ed Bouchette: You have a point about Spaeth and Reed's case over shadowed his. Taking a wee and fighting with police -- allegedly -- are two disparate charges.

theWellHungarian: A few years ago, we used to all look at the Steelers as the model franchise. Full of upright citizens and decent men, now with it being littered with domestic abusers (James Harrison), dope smokers (Santonio Holmes), and drunks (Jeff Reed), will the perception of the Steelers change, or has it already?

Ed Bouchette: You mean like the time Ernie Holmes went on trial in Texas in the 1970s for cocaine possession and returned to play with the team?

SWPA_Transplant: Ed, could the reason Reed isn't getting suspended is because there is no one else to handle the kicking duties?

Ed Bouchette: You are on to something there, Transplant.

T22POST: Ed, are you enjoying the aerial assault we are displaying this year?

Ed Bouchette: It's certainly given me something different to write/talk about.

FoolBack: I admit I wasn't a fan of the Bruce Arians offense, but I'm coming around. Do you think this offense can have the same success in the slop of Heinz Field in December?

Ed Bouchette: I think it can have more success. The receivers know where they're running. Plus, why would it be easier to run in slop than to throw in it?

Mwarren18: Ed, how would you assess the play of Timmons through the first part of the season?

Ed Bouchette: I think he's improving and looks like someone who knows his assignments better.

farve_on_D_turf: I am impressed with Eason as a backup. What is his mysterious back problem, and did it keep him from being a starter?

Ed Bouchette: Eason is not the one with the back problem. Travis Kirschke is and it comes from playing the game for 13 years as a defensive end taking on big offensive tackles, etc.

T22POST: Ed, who would win a jeopardy Steeler knowledge showdown between you and Dulac?

Ed Bouchette: What is jeopardy?

Mwarren18: Ed, again I see Heath Miller has 34 catches second only to Dallas Clark's 35 ... is this the Pro Bowl year for Miller?

Ed Bouchette: It could be. I would have voted him in before because he's a true tight end while many of those others are basically wide receivers.

Steely_Resolve: Hey Ed, Love the chats. Will Max Starks be healthy enough to go this weekend and do you think our line can handle the Vikings pass rush?

Ed Bouchette: yes, he's good to go and yes, they can handle the Vikes' pass rush. Will they? That's another question. Remember, the d-coordinator in Minnesota, Leslie Frazier, worked with the late Jimmy Johnson in Phila. and you remember what Johnson's Eagles did to Big Ben last year don't you?

polamalu43: Ed, do you think Adrian Peterson breaks over 100 yards against Steelers this Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: That's a tough one. It's not often done, as you know, but Peterson is the best back in football right now. I am going to say ... maybe. How's that for going out on a limb?

Teton_Steeler: If Jeff Reed is such a bad guy, why is he a captain? Certainly that shows something about his football character?

Ed Bouchette: It says that his teammates like him.

Taz: Since Mike Tomlin used to coach there, do the Steelers have an insider's edge on offense, going against Minnesota's defense?

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, he coached there in 2006. A few things have changed since then

IsraelP: Limas' turn this week?

Ed Bouchette: Israel, that's at the top of my list to ask this week and I will have to get back to you on that one. I would say for how they used Shaun McDonald last week, it really does not matter.

Steely_Resolve: How important do you think this week's Vikes game is in terms of a "measuring stick" for both teams?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know that you need a measuring stick more than you need a win.

theo_bell: Hello Ed, do you still think the Steelers made a mistake by giving Logan a roster spot? Does he not bring more to the table than say Anthony Madison?

Ed Bouchette: Have you seen him return punts?

praveen: Ed, only those above 65 would get that Marcus Welby reference!

Ed Bouchette: Yes, that's why it was there. Senior citizens have more time to read this stuff because people who work for a living surely would not take their company's time and spend it here, right?

MendenhallsDaMan: Who's your choice for most underrated performer thus far?

Ed Bouchette: The offensive line. Everyone was on their backs early in the season and they are doing a pretty good job lately.

T22POST: Ed, Do you think the loss of Larry Foote has really shown itself through the first six games?

Ed Bouchette: No.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks for your questions. I have to go blog now for PG Plus. See you next Tuesday, even though the Steelers have off, I do not (I must speak with my agent about this).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293...#ixzz0UXKXwyE2
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Thanks for the read Mesa.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Ed Bouchette: Israel, that's at the top of my list to ask this week and I will have to get back to you on that one. I would say for how they used Shaun McDonald last week, it really does not matter.

LOL....the faithful don't want to give up on this failed experiment...
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

by "faithful" do you mean tomlin, colbert, and rooney? all of a sudden you know more than them????

LOL- (oh the hypocricy) waitaminute....

ed b. just said s. mcdonald = limas sweed. of course you predicted s. mcdonald would beat out l. sweed for playing time the 1st half of this season.

fail.

anyone see ricardo colclough lately? you were still beating his drum a year and a half AFTER it was painfully obvious to everyone else that he was a liability.

how bout anthony smith, who you said was "absolutely" the heir appearant to chris hope?

bill cowher is doing a fine job for the browns, huh?

i get it though...

thats your schtick. you make a bold, and seemingly wild, prediction (and everyone knows you have OSU hateritis towards anyone UT- even sweed before the 3 drops) and you stick with it til the bitter end.

we all admire you sticking with your wacky predictions and opinions (that are constantly passed off fact), even when they are obviously wrong and jaded.

what gusto!

....although what you do with sweed is the exactly same thing your buddy steelers & I does with timmons.

congrats!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:

I don't get it. What experiment? Last time I checked Sweed was still on the depth chart as a WR. The guy has had the dropsies and has confidence issues, I'll give you that, but to proclaim him a failed experiment in only his second year is a bit over the top to say the least and completly asinine at most. Almost as much as people believing that Redmon is going to start next year. The dude needs time to adjust to the pro game and the mental aspects that go along with it. I am not ready to proclaim him a bust at all, and from all signs the FO has demonstrated, neither are they.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Sure...he needs time to adjust...to his seat on the bench.

LOL at Tony...I guess you're never wrong....sorry, I can't even type that without: rofl:
Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ed b. just said s. mcdonald = limas sweed.
No he didn't. He was saying the fourth receiver doesn't matter for shit in our offense so who cares which one is active? It could be Krusty the Clown for all it matters. I have to agree with him on that. At best, the fourth receiver is on the field for half a dozen plays and gets one or two balls thrown his direction.

At this point, I'm not really giving up on Sweed, but I don't exactly have sky-high expectations of him either. If he does something, I'll be surprised. But I bet we keep him around until his contract runs out as the Guy Who Still Might Have Potential And Fills In Because of Injuries.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Just to correct a few things:
Ricardo Colclough I gave a pass because he played college at that big time football factory Tusculum. It's fair to give a super small college player a little slack because of the extremely weak level of competition. By the way, he plays for the Chiefs now, and he actually PLAYED in 36 games in Pittsburgh and actually DID something other than not do his job and ride pine. At this point in time, Colclough >>>>>>>>>>Sweed

As for Anthony Smith, get the facts right....I said he is incredibly talented but a complete head case, and I gave up on him at the end of last year. Nice try. (I think he is on GB's roster, too)

Cowher coaching the Browns was just speculation...and could still happen...

Finally, this ridiculous notion that I have something against Sweed based on OSU/UT. I was happy we drafted him and thought he'd be a great wideout...as far as I'm concerned, with a few exceptions, the school you went to ceases to matter the second you sign with an NFL team. In fact, I wanted Sweed to succeed, I just am now beginning to see that it's probably a fairy tale that he will...he just ain't got it, and if he was from OSU I'd probably be even QUICKER to pass that judgment.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,546 Posts

Quote:
Just to correct a few things:
Ricardo Colclough I gave a pass because he played college at that big time football factory Tusculum. It's fair to give a super small college player a little slack because of the extremely weak level of competition. By the way, he plays for the Chiefs now, and he actually PLAYED in 36 games in Pittsburgh and actually DID something other than not do his job and ride pine. At this point in time, Colclough >>>>>>>>>>Sweed

As for Anthony Smith, get the facts right....I said he is incredibly talented but a complete head case, and I gave up on him at the end of last year. Nice try. (I think he is on GB's roster, too)

Cowher coaching the Browns was just speculation...and could still happen...
LMAO! facts huh? nice try. once again you fail. you should really stop thinking so much.

GB dumped a. smith weeks ago in preseason. by the way... the chiefs did the same with coke. neither of them have even gotten a sniff as street free agents.

players like them are the epitome of 2nd and 3rd round "busts" as you would call them, inspite of the average nfl players career only being 3 years long.

you want more "facts"? ok, these bullets have been in the chamber long enough, and ive certainly given you enough rope-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post

Coke? C'mon! Coke isn't going anywhere. By all reports, Coke was playing better CB then Ike (who will return to form in '07, by the way). He needs reps and confidence, but when he gets them he'll be fine.
its SO golden when sheer hypocricy rears its ugly head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
Oh, Anthony Smith will absolutely (barring injury) be our replacement for Hope. He actually showed more flashes in his frosh year than Troy did in his.

Bear in mind that Troy is an absolute freak about watching film, and Ryan Clark may be even more of a film guy. Think Smith didn't catch on right away?

Our secondary (again, barring injury) should be freakishly loaded. I expect Taylor to overcome his sophomore slump, Coke to really make a push, and McFadden to figure in hugely.
you were saying....?