Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Raynestorm
Water Boy

Member Number: 15153
Default The Bengals are who we thought they were...

Or...they're not who they thought they were.

As good as it must have felt for them to be 4-1, I knew it wasn't for real. Both their O and the D are in the bottom half of the NFL. O is #17 and D is #19. Carson is ranked 21st out of 32 QB's. Yes, I know Ced Ben is in the top five, but he has a couple monster games that got him there (Green Bay and Baltimore). The others were pedestrian at best with 70 yards or so...and only managed 44 against the Texans.

Their stats don't support the 4-2 record.

Their wins weren't by legitly going out and beating people, but by relying on the other teams to blow it.

Remember 2005 when the Bengals went 11-5? They led the league in getting turnovers that year and I knew that wouldn't work come post season. You can't rely on other people making mistakes. I knew that if we went into Cincy and didn't kill ourselves, we'd win.

We did.

The Texans beat the Bengals by not collapsing...their QB had just one INT and that's ok if you throw for 4 TD's.

I knew that, sooner or later, they'd have to line up and play someone straight up that didn't make mistakes. They wouldn't be handed the game. The Texans did that to them this past week and it was obvious how bad the Bengals really are.

And it's not going to get any easier any time soon....Chicago this week, bye, then hosting Baltimore for the revenge match, then they're in our house for our turn at revenge. To end the year, they're in Mini-soda, in San Diego, hosting KC then wrap it up by going on the road against the Jets.

These are not teams that are going to collapse and hand them anything.

The Bengals are the Bengals, and always will be.
Raynestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: The Bengals are who we thought they were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynestorm View Post
Yes, I know Ced Ben is in the top five, but he has a couple monster games that got him there (Green Bay and Baltimore). The others were pedestrian at best with 70 yards or so...and only managed 44 against the Texans.
So you're saying take away his big games like you have to take away Willie Parker's big runs and he's a pretty average running back.

Quote:
Their wins weren't by legitly going out and beating people, but by relying on the other teams to blow it.
The NFL is a pretty parity-filled league. You don't see Patriots-Titans blowouts as the norm. Usually the team that makes the least mistakes wins...is this something out of the ordinary?

Quote:
The Texans beat the Bengals by not collapsing...their QB had just one INT and that's ok if you throw for 4 TD's.
The Texans have one of the more explosive offenses in the NFL and were simply the better team on Sunday. The Bengals offense had been underachieving thus far...something that I think will get better as the season goes on; they certainly have the talent to be very good. The defense is regressing a bit with a lot of players banged up, most notably Antwan Odom out for the season, but also Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, and Pat Sims battling some injuries. A lot will depend on how some of the backups are able to come in and produce.

Quote:
I knew that, sooner or later, they'd have to line up and play someone straight up that didn't make mistakes. They wouldn't be handed the game. The Texans did that to them this past week and it was obvious how bad the Bengals really are.
I don't think the fact that the Bengals have been winning games in the final minutes makes them a bad team. It's not like they don't show up for 58 minutes and then the other team makes a mistake that hands the game to them. They've been able to play well enough to stay close until the end of games and either wait for the other team to make a mistake or take advantage of an opportunity to make a big play. In my mind, that's pretty solid football.

Let's not forget that the Bengals have also come up on the short end of the stick in a similar fashion on a last second play by the now 6-0 Broncos.

Quote:
And it's not going to get any easier any time soon....Chicago this week, bye, then hosting Baltimore for the revenge match, then they're in our house for our turn at revenge.
The Bengals have a tough stretch of 3 games coming up (Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh). Hopefully they can pull out 2 wins there and at the very least 1 divisional win. We'll get to see what the team is made of.

If they can survive that stretch, they then have a pretty easy 3 game stretch against Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit...all of which are potential wins.

Then they have another tough 2 games with Minnesota and San Diego...hopefully they can win 1 out of 2 there.

They then have somewhat of a break as they play Kansas City before they end the regular season with a tough game against the Jets. Again, hopefully they should take 1 out of 2 there.

So in summation if they can win just one of Chicago, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh; sweep Oakland, Cleveland, and Detroit; split between Minnesota and San Diego; and split between Kansas City and the Jets, they will be looking at a 10-6 record and at least a wildcard. That's not terribly inconceivable.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The Bengals will lose their next 3 (4-5), then beat 2 of 3 bad teams they face (not sure who yet) (6-6), then drop both to Minny and SD (6-8), then beat KC and lose to the Jets to be 7-9.

That's still 3 wins more than I would've given them at the outset...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Raynestorm
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
So you're saying take away his big games like you have to take away Willie Parker's big runs and he's a pretty average running back.

The NFL is a pretty parity-filled league. You don't see Patriots-Titans blowouts as the norm. Usually the team that makes the least mistakes wins...is this something out of the ordinary?

The Texans have one of the more explosive offenses in the NFL and were simply the better team on Sunday. The Bengals offense had been underachieving thus far...something that I think will get better as the season goes on; they certainly have the talent to be very good. The defense is regressing a bit with a lot of players banged up, most notably Antwan Odom out for the season, but also Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, and Pat Sims battling some injuries. A lot will depend on how some of the backups are able to come in and produce.

I don't think the fact that the Bengals have been winning games in the final minutes makes them a bad team. It's not like they don't show up for 58 minutes and then the other team makes a mistake that hands the game to them. They've been able to play well enough to stay close until the end of games and either wait for the other team to make a mistake or take advantage of an opportunity to make a big play. In my mind, that's pretty solid football.

Let's not forget that the Bengals have also come up on the short end of the stick in a similar fashion on a last second play by the now 6-0 Broncos.

The Bengals have a tough stretch of 3 games coming up (Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh). Hopefully they can pull out 2 wins there and at the very least 1 divisional win. We'll get to see what the team is made of.

If they can survive that stretch, they then have a pretty easy 3 game stretch against Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit...all of which are potential wins.

Then they have another tough 2 games with Minnesota and San Diego...hopefully they can win 1 out of 2 there.

They then have somewhat of a break as they play Kansas City before they end the regular season with a tough game against the Jets. Again, hopefully they should take 1 out of 2 there.

So in summation if they can win just one of Chicago, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh; sweep Oakland, Cleveland, and Detroit; split between Minnesota and San Diego; and split between Kansas City and the Jets, they will be looking at a 10-6 record and at least a wildcard. That's not terribly inconceivable.
You can't rely on the other team making mistakes. You have to be able to line up and just beat people, even if they don't make mistakes. The Bengals haven't done that this year.

The Bengals have been involved in close games....and if it weren't for the other team collapsing, they wouldn't have won them. I'm saying you can't rely on that.

Can the Bengals win games if the other team doesn't hand the game to them? They didn't Sunday and I don't think they can. Your O and D are ranked in the bottom half of the NFL.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Can the Bengals win games if the other team doesn't hand the game to them? They didn't Sunday and I don't think they can. Your O and D are ranked in the bottom half of the NFL.
I believe so. Now a question for you. Do you think the Steelers can get a win against a team that isn't terrible?

So far their only wins have come against the Titans (0-6), San Diego (2-3), Detroit (1-5), and Cleveland (1-5).

The Bengals aren't the only team with question marks.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The same problem the Bengals ALWAYS must confront rears it's ugly head yet again: If ONLY the season could just last about 5 games, and they count the preseason, you'd have MULTIPLE championships!

Right NOW the Bengals look like a quality foe...but at seasons end 8-8 or 7-9 will prove that to be erroneous...as usual....
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I believe so. Now a question for you. Do you think the Steelers can get a win against a team that isn't terrible?
:
did you watch any steeler games last year? have you watched any steelers football in the past 5 years? how bout the past 8? the steelers have been beaten teams that arent terrible this entire decade, to the tune of 13-3, 15-1, 12-4, record seasons, multiple division titles, 4 afc champ games and 2 superbowl victories.

doubting thomases kill me. the doubt lies with the bungles, not the steelers.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Bengals fans....I'm around them everyday.

They were all thumping theirr chests last week. They lost one game and they are all back to " our team sucks" again. LOL. I have to teach them everything.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Bengals fans....I'm around them everyday.

They were all thumping theirr chests last week. They lost one game and they are all back to " our team sucks" again. LOL. I have to teach them everything.
ever since we lost to them i have been getting notes at the office that say who-dey from a co-worker moday i left one on his desk that said Texas-dey & soon We-dey

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Raynestorm
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
#5 for total offense without Fast Willie. (403 yards/G)
#2 passing offense (297 yards/G)
#3 for total defense without Polamalu. (275 yards/G)
#2 for rushing defense (75 yards/G)
We're not exactly stinkin' up the joint.

Same defense as last year.. Worked pretty well for us as I recall. Except now we have an offense that can go toe to toe with anybody in the league.

Yeah, I think we can hold our own.
And these are the stats that Bengal fans don't want to see. We're better than our record indicates. Any team in the top ten that many times is going to win most of their games. We just happened to have let a couple slip away from us and need to get that 'collapse' thing under control.

The stats the Bengals really hate is where their O and D are in the bottom half of the NFL as well is Carson, he's in the bottom third! When you add that up, you get a team that shouldn't have a winning record. The fact that they do means they're not as good as they think they are. They're going to come crashing down to earth soon.