Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Body of small child found in Georgia landfill.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33410779...-today_people/

It hasn't been identified yet, but the articles chances it was the same little girl who gone missing in Florida since Monday.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Re: Body of small child found in Georgia landill.

i often feel paranoid and strict, but my 6 year old girl goes to school half a block from her grandparents, but shes not allowed to walk home from school.

she is not allowed to ride her bike, scooter or big wheel all the way down our sidewalk unless someone is watching, just to the perimeter of our yard and maybe in front of the neighbors. most certainly not allowed to ride around the block.

i hate being so protective, because when i was 6 i was all over the place on my bike w/o supervision. i was never bussed to school and never had a ride, ever since kindergarten.

at 7 or 8 years old i was allowed to go trick or treating alone.

what a shame millions of adults have to live in fear of this type of shit happening.

the threat of terrorists has got nothing on the fear and precautions i take on a daily basis in regards to my baby.

its bad, and i hate being the "mean dad".
Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i often feel paranoid and strict, but my 6 year old girl goes to school half a block from her grandparents, but shes not allowed to walk home from school.

she is not allowed to ride her bike, scooter or big wheel all the way down our sidewalk unless someone is watching, just to the perimeter of our yard and maybe in front of the neighbors. most certainly not allowed to ride around the block.

i hate being so protective, because when i was 6 i was all over the place on my bike w/o supervision. i was never bussed to school and never had a ride, ever since kindergarten.

what a shame millions of adults have to live in fear of this type of shit happening.

the threat of terrorists has got nothing on the fear and precautions i take on a daily basis in regards to my baby.

All of our back and forth aside--

When she is old enough, and has children of her own, you will become the "loving caring dad" as she looks back over her childhood.

In my ministry Tony, its parents like you whom I seldom worry about.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

thanks preach...

while i am definitely over protective, i am also very liberal with her. i let her hold tarantulas, and have a pet snake.

she is a daredevil and has no fear, and i culture that spirit with a guided eye.

i have taken her hiking in places where even i probably shouldnt be hiking. allowed her to ride on jet skis, and swim in a lake off a boat with a vest (even though she didnt know how to swim). let her run and jump into a pool to me w/o a vest to teach her to swim, and took her on the jackrabbit at kennywood (even though she was really too small).

she can play any sport or do any activity she wants, as long as i am there. if she wanted to go sky diving or hang gliding, i would probably strap her to my chest and say "lets do it".

the point in all this is to build trust, to fear nothing but appreciate danger, to have fun, live and love life, and to know she is always safe with daddy.

to read about shit like this in the news is absolutely disgusting and a reason i will ALWAYS be a proponent of the death penalty.

always.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
thanks preach...

while i am definitely over protective, i am also very liberal with her. i let her hold tarantulas, and have a pet snake.

she is a daredevil and has no fear, and i culture that spirit with a guided eye.

i have taken her hiking in places where even i probably shouldnt be hiking. allowed her to ride on jet skis, and swim in a lake off a boat with a vest (even though she didnt know how to swim). let her run and jump into a pool to me w/o a vest to teach her to swim, and took her on the jackrabbit at kennywood (even though she was really too small).

she can play any sport or do any activity she wants, as long as i am there. if she wanted to go sky diving or hang gliding, i would probably strap her to my chest and say "lets do it".

the point in all this is to build trust, to fear nothing but appreciate danger, to have fun, live and love life, and to know she is always safe with daddy.

to read about shit like this in the news is absolutely disgusting and a reason i will ALWAYS be a proponent of the death penalty.

always.

that's about it.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:

With all the junk that goes on in the world today, I can't blame you one bit.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

As many of you know, my wife and I are in the process of adoption right now.

I'll be honest with you, I doubt my child will see the inside of a stadium or even disneyland until he/she is 14.

There is just no way.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
thanks preach...

always.
You have to let them be kids and let them do things. You also have to protect them I have let my 8 year old do things I shouldn't but I want him to be a kid and enjoy his child hood.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Body of small child found in Georgia landfill.

I'm taking my first real attempts at parenting (my girlfriends kids) and I try to be rational about it...we live in a constant state of fear, which is HEAVILY fascilitated by the pop media. I truly believe that things were always like this we just know more about it now, and that the chances of soemthing truly awful happening to her kids are far too remote to really worry about.

I read this this morning and it's certainly timely and germane...

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/65432587.html

Flights of fear at heart of parenting

By Ruth Marcus
Washington Post

Published on Thursday, Oct 22, 2009

WASHINGTON: In the matter of Falcon Heene, the 6-year-old boy who stashed himself — or was stashed by his parents — in the attic while a frantic world thought he was adrift in a homemade balloon, let us stipulate a few things:

That there is something presumptively wrong with people who name their children after birds of prey; that the Heenes, if this was indeed a hoax, make Jon and Kate look like Ward and June; that Andy Warhol was right, except his 15 minutes have stretched to 30 in the age of cable; that a constitutional amendment to prohibit parents from exploiting their kids on reality TV shows might be in order.

But all that isn't what really interests me. What interests me — and what I suspect helped make the episode so compelling — is Balloon Boy's flight as metaphor for the process of parenting. You might say it doesn't take much to command wall-to-wall cable coverage, and that would be a fair point. Any random freeway chase will fill up the time nicely if there is helicopter footage available in real time.

Yet it is the threatened child, for obvious reasons, who truly grabs our attention: the toddler trapped in the well, the third-grader snatched from her bedroom, the teen gone missing — and, as my colleague Eugene Robinson tartly pointed out a few years back, the blonder the better.

If you are a parent, you know — in one of those ways that you try to shove out of your consciousness, because there is no point thinking about it — that this sort of thing could happen to you. That no amount of vigilance, really, can shield our children completely from random acts of violence or fate. The ancient branch that falls at precisely the wrong time. The flu that should merely have sidelined but ends up killing. The tractor-trailer, out of control. To have a child is to know the certainty of joy tempered by the omnipresent possibility of loss.

When our first child was born 14 years ago, our friend Jim, who watches over all of us with the obsessive protectiveness of a border collie, gave us one of those books about how to keep your child safe from some amazing array of harms. I kept it for years, but couldn't — sorry, Jim — bear to read it. You can check that the car seat is correctly installed and install safety latches on the medicine cabinet, but at a certain point you simply have to recognize that life has risks, and not everything is within our control.

Which gets us to Balloon Boy as metaphor. The silvery balloon hurtles through the air. It bobs, sickeningly. A child, or so we think, is inside, unseen. There is nothing to do but watch, horrified, and hope for a soft landing.

This is the essence of parenting. You must send your child out into the world, even though you know she is going to get bruised. There will inevitably be the party invitation that doesn't come, the team that isn't made, the once-close friend who snubs. You can't stop this; in truth, you shouldn't if you could. In The Blessing of a Skinned Knee, psychologist Wendy Mogel describes the phenomenon of parents foolishly ''trying to inoculate their children against the pain of life.''

By treating children ''like we're cruise ship directors who must get them to their destination — adulthood — smoothly, without their feeling even the slightest bump or wave, we're depriving them,'' she writes. ''Those bumps are part of God's plan.''

OK, but did God have to deal with a high school freshman? Accepting the plan does not answer the harder question of what freedom to allow when. I have been experiencing this recently with our newly independent daughter. I welcome this independence, yet I fear it. Can she get a ride to the restaurant with the older girls on the soccer team? No. Can she go to the party at the house of a kid she doesn't know and he doesn't go to her school but he's a friend of a friend? Not unless she is willing to submit to the indignity of having me call the parents.

The balloon strains against its mooring. You give the ropes some slack. Someday, too soon, you will have to let it float free.
Marcus is a Washington Post columnist. She can be e-mailed at marcusr@washpost.com.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:

I've spent a few nights explaining to my precious 4 year old why she can't go riding without mommy or daddy, or why she can't be outside in the front yard alone.

I often cringe when I hear stories like this and it builds such an anger within just thinking, "WHAT IF, what if it was my daughter!"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote