Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?
Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09294/1007135-367.stm

Question: I don't understand why coaches challenge almost meaningless plays such as when Coach Tomlin challenged an 11-yard play in the middle of the game when Cleveland wasn't even across midfield. Wouldn't it make more sense to save the challenges for more important plays such as touchdowns, fumbles, interceptions or "splash plays"?

Jeff Mathews, Elizabeth Township

BOUCHETTE: I agree. As much as I hate instant replay, the idea of it was for calls on potential big plays to be corrected if they were wrong. The nit-picking calls, such as the one you refer to, do not fall into that category. When coaches do that, I secretly hope that a wrong call is made on a big, game-turning play and they have no challenges left because they used their two up on inconsequential plays earlier in the game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09294...#ixzz0UdNpUPK0
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,649
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 284
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts
Default Re: Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

Quote:
As much as I hate instant replay, the idea of it was for calls on potential big plays to be corrected if they were wrong. The nit-picking calls, such as the one you refer to, do not fall into that category. When coaches do that, I secretly hope that a wrong call is made on a big, game-turning play and they have no challenges left because they used their two up on inconsequential plays earlier in the game.
Yeah, me too, Ed. Nothing I like more than listening to a bunch of crybaby assholes whining that the refs were paid off.

Get a real job already, Bullchitte.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$
 
steelreserve's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: www.meatspin.com
Posts: 4,599
Member Number: 1976
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

Not to mention when there's an obviously blown call, but you can't challenge it just because you don't have any timeouts. That happened in the 49ers game a week or two ago on a kickoff-return fumble right after Atlanta scored on them. Guy was obviously down, but the refs let them play through because they're afraid to blow anything dead this year. Then the 49ers couldn't challenge it even though they supposedly had all their challenges left, and two plays later it was another touchdown and they were out of the game.
__________________
"An empty victory is a victory nonetheless."
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
The Lakelander
Starter
 
The Lakelander's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 478
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1503
Thanks: 7
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

I was right on that on Sunday ... it was a bad play to challenge at a bad time of the game.

Tomlin is learning too. But a play like that can cost his team a victory the next time.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

The one thing that is often ignored is the TIMING of these challenges. You can use it as an extended TO, and I've seen coaches use it effectively to break an offenses/QB's rhythm. If you are thinking of calling a TO anyway, why not throw the challenge flag on anything questionable? The worst that can happen is you lose a TO that you were going to burn anyway, and maybe you'll get the call...but I wouldn't do this often or too early, as there are limits to challenges.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
rich4eagle
Starter
 
rich4eagle's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 506
Gender: Male
Member Number: 399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Re: Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?
Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09294/1007135-367.stm

Question: I don't understand why coaches challenge almost meaningless plays such as when Coach Tomlin challenged an 11-yard play in the middle of the game when Cleveland wasn't even across midfield. Wouldn't it make more sense to save the challenges for more important plays such as touchdowns, fumbles, interceptions or "splash plays"?

Jeff Mathews, Elizabeth Township

BOUCHETTE: I agree. As much as I hate instant replay, the idea of it was for calls on potential big plays to be corrected if they were wrong. The nit-picking calls, such as the one you refer to, do not fall into that category. When coaches do that, I secretly hope that a wrong call is made on a big, game-turning play and they have no challenges left because they used their two up on inconsequential plays earlier in the game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09294...#ixzz0UdNpUPK0
Tomlin went braindead on this challenge...........I hope he learned
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter
 
markymarc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,589
Member Number: 2292
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Why do coaches challenge meaningless plays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The one thing that is often ignored is the TIMING of these challenges. You can use it as an extended TO, and I've seen coaches use it effectively to break an offenses/QB's rhythm. If you are thinking of calling a TO anyway, why not throw the challenge flag on anything questionable? The worst that can happen is you lose a TO that you were going to burn anyway, and maybe you'll get the call...but I wouldn't do this often or too early, as there are limits to challenges.
I agree revefsreleets. That is the only reasoning I can come up with on some of Tomlin's challenges. Like you mentioned some coaches will use it as an extended TO to throw off a team's momentum.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts