Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Hines Ward leads the NFL in receiving at the age of 33

Thursday, October 22, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

On a gorgeous fall afternoon, Hines Ward left his workplace yesterday with a good three hours of sunlight remaining. Enough to get in a little golf?

"No," Ward, 33, said. "I'm going to go sleep in my hyperbaric chamber. It's my fountain of youth."

Who could argue? Ward not only is off to the fastest start of his 12-year career with the Steelers, but he also is atop the NFL receiving statistics this week. No Steelers receiver has ever led the league, but more than a third of the way through this season no one has more than Ward's 599 yards. He and Steve Smith of the New York Giants are tied for the league lead with 41 receptions.

At that rate, he'll catch 109 passes for nearly 1,600 yards.

"I would hope people would be proud of me," Ward said. "There's a guy 33 years old leading the league."

Ward earlier exposed the myth that a Steelers receiver could not break into the top echelon in the league when he caught 112 passes for 1,329 yards in 2002, both team records.

But that occurred when he was 26. Who saw this coming? Part of it has to do with coordinator Bruce Arians' open-air attack, part to the no-huddle offense, part to Ben Roethlisberger and also to Ward's ability to, well, stay young and healthy.

"I'm having the best time of my life," he said. "I'm having fun. This is definitely fun. I look forward to Sundays."

Ward kept the hyperbaric oxygen chamber that he credits with helping him return from a sprained MCL in his knee to play in the Super Bowl two weeks after it was injured in the AFC championship game. He said he gets into the thing four times a week, for preventive medicine, a.k.a. his fountain of youth.

He also had rotator cuff surgery on a shoulder after the 2008 season, but he's playing like new today.

"This is great. I'm having the most fun I had in 12 years because when I was younger, it was all about the stats and trying to make the money. Got the money, made the Pro Bowls. When I got closer to 10,000 yards that was like a milestone. I said if I get 10,000 I'm going to retire."

Of course, that did not happen after he hit 10,000 career yards this season. He's signed through 2012 and believes he could make it to the end of that contract.

"I'm still here," said Ward, who credits coach Mike Tomlin for giving him Wednesdays off at practice as another tonic. "When I retire is the day when I watch on film and say the Hines I know can beat this guy and then I can't get open on this guy. Then I'm done, because I don't want to end on that note. I want to go out on top."

He's on top of the NFL now. It looked as if the only Steelers receiver to have four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons would experience no more when he dipped below 1,000 between 2005-07, to a low of 732. But he rebounded with 1,043 yards last season and is blowing that away today.

His yards per reception also has increased, by nearly 2 yards over last season to 14.6, which would be the highest of his career as a starter.

"Not bad for a guy without speed, right?" Ward said.

He always has been somewhat of a possession receiver, playing next to deep threats such as Plaxico Burress and then Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington and now rookie Mike Wallace. But with the no-huddle has come some deeper routes for Ward, who has the team's longest reception of the season, a 52-yard touchdown against Cleveland, and another of 41 yards.

"People ask how long I will play, I don't know how long. It's just a great feeling to go out there and help contribute. All the guys -- Heath [Miller] is catching TDs and his stats are right up there, Santonio is on pace for 1,000 yards. Mike Wallace is coming in and giving us great splash plays. Ben is having a Pro Bowl year.

"It's great to be part of that mix because I wasn't supposed to be in the mix being I was 33."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09295/1007470-66.stm

Sorry if already posted.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Hines Ward leads the NFL in receiving at the age of 33

I don't care if he sleeps in a bear cave as long as he keeps playing like this. He's just awesome so far this year. If you factor in the few he's dropped that normally he'd catch he'd be blowing all receivers away right now.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Yeah, Ward is playing fantastic this year. I think that the offense as a whole is better than I've ever seen it, quite honestly. If the defense can reclaim its place as the best in the league, I honestly believe we can go 14-2 in the regular season, like some sports writer predicted a little while ago.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Wait...I thought Holmes was replacing him as the #1 on the team.

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

I bet T.O. can't even sleep at night knowing this.

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I bet T.O. can't even sleep at night knowing this.

I know...doncha just love it?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
I know...doncha just love it?
lol Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

But... we're forgetting about what's really important here. No matter how impressive Ward's stats might be, Chad Ochocinco has the most twitter posts of any WR in the NFL. That puts him leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Just Hines being Hines

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Hines will always be great. He has that great go get em attitude, he plays with heart. You can just see how he loves the game. Im glad to see he's goin to give us another 2 years, maybe more we hope.

HINES RULES

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote