Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Bires: Arians deserves credit, too

Bires: Arians deserves credit, too
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...redit-too.html
By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times

Thursday October 22, 2009 11:54 PM

PITTSBURGH — It’s about time Bruce Arians gets the respect he’s due.

For years, Steelers fans and the media have heaped praise on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. That praise is well-deserved. LeBeau is a genius.

About the only time Arians’ name is mentioned is when there’s a complaint about his strategies. Seldom, if ever, is there public approval for the job Arians does as offensive coordinator.

But if LeBeau is to keep getting credit for masterminding the defense, then Arians deserves credit for putting together the offensive playbook.

Obviously, there has been a dramatic change in the way the Steelers operate offensively. No longer are they the smash-mouth running team they were during the Bill Cowher era.

Now, they are throwing the ball more than ever before in the 77-year history of the franchise.

They have a star quarterback who’s slinging the ball all over the field, and their pass catchers get open and make catches.

They also have an innovative offensive coordinator who’s adapting to the times in the ever-changing NFL.

“Yes, I do believe B.A. is under-appreciated in this city,” backup quarterback Charlie Batch said. “One reason for that is because our defense has played so well over the years. Fans in this town love their defense. But if you look at what the offense has done since B.A. has been calling the plays, I think you’ll agree he’s doing something right.”
Advertisement

In the past three years, critics have ripped Arians for not running the ball enough. They’ve ripped him for de-emphasizing the role of the fullback. They’ve ripped him for inconsistent play-calling in general.

But in 2007, Willie Parker was leading the NFL in rushing before getting hurt in the 15th game. That same year, Ben Roethlisberger set franchise single-season records for most touchdown passes (32) and passer rating (104.1).

Last year, the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

This year, Roethlisberger leads the league in passing yards going into Sunday’s showdown against the Vikings while Hines Ward ranks first in receiving yards and is tied for first in receptions.

“You’re responsible for the good, the bad and the ugly,” said Arians, 57. “So I don’t get too caught up when it’s good because it can get real ugly real quick. I can be a dumb (expletive) real quick. So I just go with the ebb and flow of it. I just try to put guys in position where they can be successful.”

The Steelers are playing an exciting and productive brand of offense right now. If they keep it up, they could send as many as four offensive players to the Pro Bowl (Roethlisberger, Ward, tight end Heath Miller and maybe one of the linemen).

They also have an offensive coordinator who’s having an all-star season.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Bires: Arians deserves credit, too

I have been a harsh critic of BA for a while now. I am glad to see him opening up the playbook and offense and allowing (trusting) Ben to help win games. I enjoy seeing a balanced attack and its what has been happening of late. Kudos BA keep up the good work.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
I have been a harsh critic of BA for a while now. I am glad to see him opening up the playbook and offense and allowing (trusting) Ben to help win games. I enjoy seeing a balanced attack and its what has been happening of late. Kudos BA keep up the good work.
Yup, I have very few if any complaints this season.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Hallelujah! Some real love for Arians!

I have had basically no complaints about BA's performance as our OC and obviously neither have the players or Tomlin whose opinions are really the only ones that matter.

Keep up the good work BA!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts

I was never the fan that hated Arians. I was always the wait it out and see kind of guy, and it's paying off for me as a Monday Morning Quarterback. In '07 you saw the Steelers starting to use the no-huddle offense in the pre-season and what not, and slowly but surely you could tell what kind of an offense Arians was trying to build through Pittsburgh.

It took 2-3 solid years for the Steelers to finally come CLOSE to grasping this new air attack, balanced system. We have weapons all over the place, and we are finally one of those teams that worked hard and have our players in place to motor this thing right. The difference is the offensive line, without a doubt. Last year we had many injuries to the o-line and once the interior falls apart, so does the offensive scheme, and Arians couldn't build off of that. This year we are healthier, and more experienced with each other and the results are showing. I wanted to see what Arians would of done with a healthy Steelers offense with weapons.. well, you're seeing it. It's still too early, but things are a lot better in Steel Town and Bruce Arians. The offense is now, exciting, with a little more of a balanced attack of passing and running. Credit Arians and the Coaches fore this.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Hallelujah! Some real love for Arians!

I have had basically no complaints about BA's performance as our OC and obviously neither have the players or Tomlin whose opinions are really the only ones that matter.

Keep up the good work BA!
Right on Sis.....its called "benefit of the doubt", the same stuff we would like to have bestowed upon ourselves in life's hard times.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

It's important to note that Arians hasn't really changed anything he's done since day one...the offense is just experiencing some success doing it now (for myriad reasons).
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

While I have been a major Arians critic and not a big fan.........I am smart enough to realize that Arians deserves major kudos this year. I love the way he is running this offense right now. The OL and Arians have been huge for us so far in 2009.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote