Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers kicker Reed's rep is up for debate

Steelers kicker Reed's rep is up for debate
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_649735.html
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who's Steelers kicker Jeff Reed? There are no easy answers.

Is he the drunken professional athlete who squared off against a Pittsburgh police officer outside a North Shore bar last Sunday as the cop cited a teammate for public urination, as police allege?

Or is he the generous jock who donates more than just his time and celebrity to help poor kids by reaching into his own pocket?

"You can always say you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but we've heard that speech numerous times upstairs, coach (Mike Tomlin) saying not to be that guy," said Reed, 30, last week after the incident became public. "When I hear that, I actually tune it out because I know I'm not going to be that guy, and then, something like this happens."

On the surface, Reed appears to take off-beat to another level even for a kicker, a notoriously eccentric lot.

In the past, Reed has appeared in public in teased, bleached-blond hair.

His weekly television show on PCNC, a WPXI affiliate, is a zany mix of interviews and bar chatter at Mario's on the Southside.

On the Internet, pictures of a shirtless Reed at a bar appear on a dubious site named Drunkenathlete.com.

But teammates think enough of Reed that they named him a team captain a rare honor for a kicker.

"He's a stand-up guy that does a lot of things the people don't know that he does. I've never been around him and seen him turn down an autograph," Steelers long snapper Greg Warren said. "We'll be at dinner, we'll be at the mall, we'll be anywhere just walking around, and someone will come up to him. I'm like, 'C'mon, Jeff; let's do our thing.'

"And he's more worried about making sure that person gets their autograph."

Teammates also know Reed as a prankster.

During training camp morning practice at St. Vincent's College in Latrobe, Reed found a frog, and punter Daniel Sepulveda placed it in the helmet of wide receiver Limas Sweed. That Sweed doesn't like frogs made the joke even better.

Reed also had help for the prank that still elicits laughs from his teammates.

On the last day of camp, Reed arranged for several buses to park along the hill that overlooks the practice fields. More than one player thought Tomlin planned to cancel morning practice to bus the squad to the movies.

Tomlin, who was in on the gag, instead had them practice as scheduled.

"That was hands down the best ever," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "He always has something going, but he's a great guy.

"When people talk about what they miss when they leave the game, it's being around the guys in the locker room. He's one of those guys, whenever it's over, we're going to miss him."

Reed, in his eighth NFL season, is an unlikely success story.

Reed didn't start kicking a football until his senior year of high school. He spent two seasons kicking at North Carolina after earning a spot as a walk-on.

After an unsuccessful tryout with the New Orleans Saints, Reed almost was ready to give up on playing in the NFL.

The Steelers called him in November 2002. Reed beat out Michael Husted and Joe O'Donnell in a tryout to replace the injured Todd Peterson.

Reed, who's in the final year of a contract that pays $1.43 million this season, has been as steady as any NFL kicker. He has two Super Bowl rings to show for his efforts.

Reed's success has made him a celebrity at East Mecklenburg High School in Charlotte, N.C., where he starred as a soccer player.

His coach, Larry Bosc, said Reed is always willing to pose for pictures, sign autographs and talk with students.

Ginny Knor, director of marketing and public relations for the Western Pennsylvania division of the Salvation Army, said Reed dips into his own pocket to help poor children aided by Project Bundle-Up, a drive sponsored by WTAE-TV and the Salvation Army.

"He doesn't tell us, but we've heard he's taken the kids outside of the store and bought them little extras," Knor said. "He is exceptionally kindhearted when it comes to those children."

Reed' off-field profile took a hit in February, when he smashed a paper towel dispenser and yelled at an employee of a convenience store in New Alexandria, Westmoreland County.

Reed pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in connection with the incident.

The altercation last Sunday outside of McFadden's left Reed facing charges of simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public intoxication. Tight end Matt Spaeth was cited for public urination.

Reed publicly apologized to the Steelers for any distraction he may have caused.

His agent, Don Henderson, has said police overreacted.

Reed declined to discuss the particulars of the incident and instructed his agent not to discuss it.

Reed and those who know him well said he shouldn't be defined by run-ins with police no matter the chatter on Internet message boards and radio talk shows.

Gene Grabowski, an image expert, said pro athletes have to be more careful in this era of instant communication. The public's insatiable appetite for gossip and compromising photos are the trade-offs for the fame and fortune athletes enjoy.

"There are greater responsibilities, greater burdens, greater scrutiny," said Grabowski, senior vice president at Levick Strategic Communications, a Washington company that specializes in crises management. "It's difficult. One can sympathize with famous people, but they have to adapt."

Reed, a regular at Pittsburgh sporting events and especially Penguins games, said the unwanted attention won't change him even if it makes him more wary.

"I'm not going to stay home and hide from the public just so they don't know who I am," Reed said. "I'd much rather be a part of the public eye because I enjoy it."

Making his mark

Jeff Reed trails only Gary Anderson in most major Steelers' kicking categories:

All-time scoring

1. Gary Anderson, 1,343

2. Jeff Reed, 771

Field goals

1. Anderson, 309

2. Reed, 169

Field-goal percentage

1. Norm Johnson, 82.7

2. Reed, 82.0

Consecutive field goals made

1. Reed, 22 (2004-05)

2. Anderson, 19 (1994)

Field goals in a game

1. Reed, 6 (2002)

1. Anderson, 6 (1988)

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text c
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Steelers kicker Reed's rep is up for debate

This whole incident with Matt Spaeth taking a leak on the street and Reed squaring off with a police officer sounds eerily like any number of my drunken escapades from my earlier twenties (while I was still in the military), while I was still an alcoholic in remission....

I remember a particular incident, a shipmate of mine named Jimmy May and I went to a Jimmy Buffet concert. We both went there toting a bottle of Jack Daniels in our pant-leg (Jack Daniels-- my mortal enemy, used to cause me to wake up in some STRANGE places) since we couldn't do anything else in the military.

To make a long story short, Jimmy was kinda tanked and didn't hide his bottle when we were getting into Coors Amphitheater, and wouldn't give it up. Things escalated, I heard him say: "Fxxking cops!!" and next thing I knew, he had kicked the side of the police cruiser there andput a big dent in it. Of course, neither of us ended up getting in the concert, and instead spent the night in the alcy tank....Jimmy spent most of the evening in the Hannibal Lector chair since he wouldn't calm down....

I don't really drink anymore, and I definitely don't condone it, but Jeff Reed's latest escapade, you gotta admit, is pretty damn funny....
Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Steelers kicker Reed's rep is up for debate

Hopefully, Reed is the guy who keeps making field goals for us. Anything else he does drunk or sober, I don't really give a shit about, unless he tries to f*** my girlfriend or something.

Maybe with all this shit going on, we just re-sign him for the same amount he's making now, and he doesn't run into a towel dispenser that's more than a match for him, and everyone comes away a winner.